View Single Post
Unread 06/13/2018, 07:48 PM   #199
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
I understand completely. My new system has been set up since January. I didn't even turn the lights on for two months. I still have only a few fish and do not think I will get to it till fall now.

Was worried though something went wrong with your system.
Shred5 - So far so good! Thanks for checking in on me. I am just hoping things continue to proceed on a path of progression. I run downstairs every morning waiting to see algae appear overnight in the main display. LC really works with Pukani Rock .

General Updates

05/29/2018 - Water Defectors
I am still tweaking the water levels in the main display. I have not figured out the exact water level but I plan to keep tweaking until I get to where I feel there is not an excessive amount of water draining back into the sump when I turn the pump off. The issue presents itself when I try to create a syphon break above the lowest point on the weir. It keeps the water from draining back into the sump but when the water comes back on there was too much splashing. To combat that I created some water deflectors to go on top on the returns. I will try to get better pictures of the deflectors. The ones I have were way too blurry. They are basically large triangles that allow me to keep the two returns closest to the weirs out of the water without splashing too much. I glued them in place and hopefully they will stay on since I only used some super glue gel.

06/01/2018 - BRS Order Arrived
I “needed” a few things for the main tank so for Mother’s Day I placed and order . I’m sure there are some mothers in the tank that would be very happy I cared enough to think of them…lol. BRS Investigates gets the credit for me switching to multiple stage DI resin. The water in the area of MD where I am is very hard on filters and resin. When I used just the standard mixed resin my machine would burn through the resin much faster. Now that I am using three stages I am seeing much better results and my TDS meter is still reading 0. I am really happy I decided to try the new approach. I ordered some new filters, resin, Amino Acid, Hanna Cuvettes, Hanna Alk Reagent, a Potassium Test, tips for the doser I picked up, and an Avast Marine Works Kalk Stirrer. I plan on using the Kalk Stirrer on the main display and repairing my old one for the Frag tank.

Resin and Filters
IMG_3050 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Miss Items
IMG_3051 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Kalk Stirrer
IMG_3059 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr
06/02/2018 - First Fish Arrive

My fish were supposed to arrive on Friday 06/01 but due to bad weather in Kentucky they were rescheduled for Sat. All day on Friday I was waiting like a kid at Christmas then I received text saying my package was rescheduled for Sat. My heart dropped and I immediately called LiveAquaria to double check. Customer service was very understanding about the whole situation. They informed me everyone had been upgraded to Sat delivery at no extra charge which I thought was impressive. This was my first order from LiveAquaria and the only thing I do not like is that you can not see your order history. Whoever designed their website and forgot that feature should be fired! I was worried that the extra day would lead to me having a floater in the bag but all arrived healthy. My wife gave each fish a name…lol. So I present the latest members of the family.

Yellow Tang aka Scoot and Boots -smallest of the bunch 2” including tail (was very skittish)
Purple Tang aka Raven - 3” including tail (I think its a Ravens thing)
Kole Tang aka She-Ra - 3.5” including tail (Not sure on her logic here)

I am not sure why these names were chosen but these were the names given to each of them as I acclimated them.

My Fish
IMG_3061 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Yellow Tang - Zebrasoma flavescens
IMG_3088 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Purple Tang - Zebrasoma xanthurum
IMG_3077 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Kole Tang - Ctenochaetus strigosus
IMG_3063 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr