View Single Post
Unread 03/15/2017, 08:55 AM   #4
jnc324
Registered Member

thanks for the replies.

I have a dedicated fish room and plan on treating this as a business.
At the moment clown fish sell to the public at $100-250 depending on species and availability. The idea is to price out the importers in that it would be no longer cost effective for them to import say 100 pieces and then pay really expensive quarantine costs on them.

The idea is to also grow out anemones and corals. Again the same situation. Basic corals sell for arround $150 and I am unsure when was the last time I saw a anemone for sale for less than $120.

Sadly out market is a rip off. Its the sad truth. We dont get any where near the quantity/quality that is seen overseas.
The plan is also if I can do this sucessfully, I plan to move into actual importing of my own.
Again, many business try and fail at this in NZ, so if it was to done it has to be on a scale where you can out compete other importers. That is simply how many fish you can import at once to drive down those vastly expensive quarantine inspectors fees.

But the goal at this stage is my own marine room, slowly expanding on species of clowns/corals ect.

For instance, our market is so cut-off I have only ever seen one species of seahorse in NZ, bar our native.
Also the first perc morph I saw and they sold at $300 each. There was 2 available.

jnc324 is offline   Reply With Quote