View Single Post
Unread 01/01/2018, 06:44 AM   #1
TxAggie08
Registered Member

Baffles less solution for sump/skimmer

I inherited a bit of a mess. Got a killer deal on a used 75 gallon 3ft acrylic tank tank with....well with almost everything I need (still need an ato). Only downside, it came with corals and fish I do not want to kill. The whole thing is a bit jumbled, and it had been taken down, was being sustained in tubs, and the tank still needs a bit of work.

I cracked the 40b sump it came with! I'm stuck with a couple of choices atm. I can take the other 40b I have here, remove the old acrylic baffles from the broken sump (which I dislike), and try to get them installed in the new 40b, or I can find a solution to maintain skimmer water height, and run the 40 breeder as a baffles less sump while I decide on either buying a pre-built, or more likely acquire another 40b, and build it out with proper glass baffles. The stand is built quite ingeniously, so removal is not an issue.

My though was to find a plastic/acrylic/glass box with enough room to house my skimmer, and using it to create a skimmer "chamber" sitting in said sump. It would be pump fed(the main return is sufficient to tap and feed it), and short of a power failure would maintain its water level I would think. A simple open sponge or filter sock on the overflow SHOULD eliminate a great deal of the bubble issue.

Any thoughts? I would prefer to get the tank filled to its proper height and running asap, and get the skimmer working properly asap, several of these corals appear to be save able. The sump would be replaced in a few weeks with the right equipment.

Thanks, kyndal

TxAggie08 is offline   Reply With Quote