View Single Post
Unread 05/13/2018, 08:39 AM   #18
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.falk View Post
Wouldn't the saltwater rust out the metal shelving pieces and weaken them over time? I would never use a metal stand on a marine tank as saltwater is very corrosive and you will spill some eventually or the fish will splash it out. You might really want to reconsider. Building a stand out of 2 x 4 lumber is easy, cost effective and a heck of a lot more durable.
Thanks for the advice. I have considered this, but I am no builder. The last time I attempted to build a stand, it was incredibly crooked and totally unusable. Also, It is cost effective to build a stand, if you have the equipment to do so. I, do not. I only have a jig saw, no circular saw, miter saw, or table saw, so I would have to but some tools to build one adding greatly to the cost.

I think that the shelving should be fine for several years, by which time I should have a much larger tank ready to go. I am planning on a 125 build, but am planning a couple of years to gather all of the equipment to do it right.

I will also paint the metal parts with a number of coats of rust-olium to help slow the damage, I know it is not the perfect solution, but I think it will be ok for a good while. Almost all of my aquarium stands have been steel, though not a shelving unit like this, and I have never had any problems in the past.