View Single Post
Unread 08/07/2016, 05:29 AM   #28
OllieNZ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsea View Post
When I set up my first large system, I was working oversea on a 28 day on 28 day off work schedule. My display tank at 150G sat on a cabinet that would not allow for a sump or refugium. I used up one side of a two car garage and plumbed in a remote refugium propagation system. The refugiums consisted of two 55G tanks and the propagation troughs consisted of two 4' by 8' by 6" deep plywood tanks. When I was home, I feed heavily with the macro and pod population increasing dramatically. When I was gone for 28 days, the refugiums feed the tanks. I had no automatic feeders except for complex food webs that provided nutrient recycling.

PS. Interesting signature. Boredom in mankind may well provide some drive, I don't think it put us on top of the evolutionary ladder. I believe in a Creator that is the author of Intelligent Design. He gave us an inate appetite to strive and grow.
Unfortunately I don't have the space for such an extensive propagation setup so I'll have to make do with things that will fit in a smaller space like an algae turf scrubber.
I do find the parallels between your method and the above freshwater setup interesting. The gentleman running that attributed his success to the stocking levels of fish/inverts/pods/worms and plants. This is the tank if it's of any interest http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/t...the-end.14521/

The signature is to be thought provoking (and perhaps entertaining) nothing more, it's based on a quote from my favorite author (Sir Terry Pratchett) in one of his novels.
His novels despite being works of fiction provide a rather astute if a touch satirical representation of life in general. Another couple of quotes.....

“Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”

“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life."

Reefed out
OllieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote