View Single Post
Unread 01/11/2017, 09:19 PM   #1
Saltlife2
Registered Member

Nitrate spike problems

I recently have been having issues with my 50G reef. I was gone for 2 weeks and a friend was taking care of my tank . When I got home my kohl tang was looking pale and just wasn't right. He was the first one. The next day my bi-color died. The day after that my clowns and my flame angel died. I also noticed my watchman goby had been missing. He was the last introduced to the tank. All of my corals, which are mostly LPS we're doing great. The only fishes that survived were my melanarus wrasse and my six line wrasse. I tested the water after my angel died and my nitrates were around the 30-40 ppm range. I initially did a 15 gallon change and tested the next day and nitrates were around the 5-10 ppm. I then did a 5 gallon change and it's been 2 days since I've done anything and it's still around the 10 ppm range. All of the passed fish were removed with the exception of the watchman, which I believe my cleanup crew ate.
I have heard that the introduction of even the smallest fish, such as my 1" goby can be cause for all of my other fish to die. I'm really struggling with this and have thought myself to be an expert as I have been in the hobby for over 10 years. I haven't lost anything in a long time before this series of casualties. Does anyone have any experiences with this issue? I may be missing something here.

Saltlife2 is offline   Reply With Quote