View Single Post
Unread 08/03/2007, 09:41 AM   #453
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
after seeing the pictures i would say it is the fault of aquarium obssessed. alot of tank that i have see custom built have the braces in the corner cross each other to give the corners better support. it may not look as nice but the seams never pull apart like that. the only other thing i can think of is the guys that put the tank together didnt clean the edges with acitone before they siliconed it together. dirt and oil form your hands can make for a poor bonding surface. the silicone will stick for a while but its not the greatest bond. if aquarium obsessed does not go good for this that you need to spread the word about there warrantee. that is a bunch of poo poo. 1 year on an aquarium is not the standard in this industry. oceaniac and all glass have life time warrantees. they should at least have a 5 year warrantee.
in my mind if they only warrantee there aquariums for 1 year then they make below standard aquariums and people should be informed about this. im sure you paid them a lot of money for there product. now they should back up thet product.
good luck with this. in the end im sure you will redo the tank and it will be alot better. i have helped in the cutting apart of a starfire tank and resiliconeing it. if you need any pointers let me know.
Spazz, I agree, when I first saw the tank I kinda questioned the eurobracing for a few days and then shrugged it off because I only heard good things about AO tanks... I do know what your talking about, I have also seen builders do the eurobracing like AO does, but they would stick a wedge on the bottom side to double up on the seam of the eurobracing to have better bonding serface in that area... I think I have even see acrylic done in the same mannor...

Again I don't know but when I sit back (even before this post) I was thinking that it was just the shear weight of the water/pressure and over time the silicone just gave way starting at the eurobracing and working its way down that back/right corner since the eurobracing only at the 5"x.5" seam holding it together... The other thing that prob did not help was I paid for the Starphire eurobracing which at the time only came in .5" thickness, If I would have went with the standard glass it may have been 3/4" so a little more bonding surface...

What ever the outcome is if I do end up getting it fixed on my dime or with AOs help I will be adding extra glass in the corners of the eurobracing to double up on the silicone to surface area to help make sure this does not happen again...