View Single Post
Unread 03/29/2018, 03:14 PM   #9
ctroms
Registered Member

Yes pep. shrimp cultures would be done in a separate system. 3-4 weeks rearing was the plan. If Can filter is used the heater will be in-line, if sump the heater there. Temp to run tank at is planed 68f. This temp will almost double the gestation period of the seahorses, but breeding is not the goal. The plan is to provide the seahorses the best environment. It will not only provide entertainment & education for family & friends, but bring a slice of the ocean into a home.
The livestock serves a purpose to clean up extra food and also provide more/different coloration. Firefish are small and very peaceful, & will consume uneaten food. Mandarin again another very peaceful fish. I've never heard of a "bad" one. Very disease resistant because of thick slime coat.
But back to filter:
I am leaning towards running an under-gravel filter backwards driven by a small powerhead or protein skimmer return. This will push aerated flow up through the sandbed and push detritus into water column. The in-takes on the Can will be covered with foam (same as for clownfish fry). Protein skimmer will either be HOB or DIY screened pump, liverock "shroud", and plumbing decorated and used as "hold". The pump & "shroud" can & will be pull from the tank at times for cleaning & maintenance.
Other option is sump. Not to say it can't be done but the tank can't be drill, access & placement are an issue, & then you have the overflow issues as well if power is lost.
But back to my question it seems as people who have replied are using skimming/ mechanical, & biological filtration. No one really commenting on use of chemical filtration ie. Carbon or others. More input is certainly welcome as nothing is set in stone yet. Thanks

ctroms is offline   Reply With Quote