View Single Post
Unread 11/18/2003, 09:52 AM   #16
Reeftropicals
Premium Member

I have to agree to a certain extent...

It is legal for them to be sold though. I can legally import them into the US all day long..., but never have nor do I think I ever will.

These animals are in my opinion better left alone in the wild or sold to public aquariums, researchers or extremely experienced aquarists.

There is no way of knowing, for me, who will buy the animal eventually. I would only import them if I had a direct request from a public aquarium. But I never have and I think there is good reason for that.

The seller in this thread might be very experienced. The question is, will the next owner/buyer be as experienced?

There are more animals that fall into the category: snakes, poisonous frogs, sharks etc. Somebody alway's ends up selling them to an unknowing new owner that has absolutely no idea what he is getting himself into or what it takes to care for that particular animal.

We as responsible aquarists and animal keepers have a major responsibility to our animals, our selves but also others. The keeper is the one that is ultimately responsible. Research every animal before you aquire it. I know that's not right but the very harsh truth as a lot (not all) LFS's do not know about good husbandry or care. Unfortunately it's for a lot of them all about making a buck, it's a multi million dollar industry and whenever there is money to be made, people tend to behave in way's they would normally not behave or tollerate from others.

With all that said, there is still the issue how we can help the owner in this thread and how we can help the animal in particular to get a new home.

Reeftropicals is offline   Reply With Quote