View Single Post
Unread 04/19/2017, 03:10 PM   #8
Reeferman1019
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycolt42 View Post
Have seen the 52 weeks of reefing videos from BRS? There are a series of about 4 episodes where they break down each form of lighting, the strength's and weaknesses of each and finally, what they decided on. The end result is exactly what shred5 said. A hybrid system is ideal for being cost-effective and proven to work. plus, the science behind it really makes sense. Led provides the point-source lighting that comes directly from the sun, the T5's give the ambient light that is used by corals as well. Each type alone does not provide both at this time. Some LED's are getting closer to providing the spread and coverage of T5's, but not there yet. Using 2-4 T5's to supplement LED's helps keep bulb replacement $ down compared to a 6-8 bulb system, and you are using more efficient LED's for a majority of your lighting @ the same time. If you are wanting all this in one unit, you will be paying for it though. Very pricey! If what you mean by cost effective is operating costs, use of electricity, heat production, etc. then LED's maybe better. I have read though where the initial investment on LED's vs. cost savings from T5 energy use and bulb replacement is minimal - especially if you are going to invest in ecotechs or AI hyrdras. If by cost effective you mean how much you spend for your lighting versus the results, right now from what I am reading, it is T5's. Good luck!

Any particular 4 or 6 bulb T5 fixtures for my tank dimensions? (48x24x12) ? Possible something that is dawn to dusk effect (programmable) or maybe that doesn't matter I can just use timers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reeferman1019 is offline   Reply With Quote