View Single Post
Unread 01/12/2018, 04:45 PM   #1
Sharpchick
Registered Member

Sixline wrasse picking at GSP

Hi, new to reef tanks, kept freshwater tanks for years.

I have a 10 gallon nano reef tank, started almost three months ago.

Plain Jane rimmed 10 gallon aquarium
Sanrise A029 Aqua Knight 30W CREE Nano Aquarium LED
Hydor Koralia Nano 240
Aqueon whisper 10 filter (running carbon in this)
50w heater
Open top, 13# live rock, with a small piece of Fiji rock
10# live sand

20% water change every Sunday
Most recent readings on water parameters show 0 nitrates, pH 8.2, calcium 400 ppm, temp 77 degrees F. I dose with the aquavitro line of calcium, iodide and magnesium, along with fuel, although I target feed some of the corals with Reef Roids twice a week.

My question is about the most recent livestock addition to the tank, a sixline wrasse. Beautiful little fish (s/he will be the only fish in the tank), cruises around and in and out of the rock. Seems to give the two scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp wide berth, except when he blows by them in a tunnel in the live rock. Ignores the snails.

And I have this lovely litttle 5-6 inch wide stand of GSP in the right front corner of the tank. He seems to be drawn to it, and looks like he is taking little pecks at it.

It's closed up, and has been ever since he went into the tank earlier this week.

He does this all the time, even when I am target feeding him and the shrimp (he snatches food almost right out of their mouths). He doesn't seem to be interested in any of the other corals.

Is he really pecking at it? Will the GSP open back up, or do I need to try and squiggle it into my five gallon nano?

Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote