View Single Post
Unread 12/23/2017, 09:34 AM   #9576
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
The extension on the open channel really isn’t doing anything to affect the drain that I can think of. Basically on the open channel the water has to get to the point where the two 90’s join together to make the U for it to drain any water. Basically where u have the dotted line drawn. The water would have to get over that point before the open channel takes any water being it isn’t a syphon.

Is the open channel taking any water when the water level is flunctuation in the overflow box or is it never getting to that point?

If the water in the overflow keeps fluncuating to where it raises & then all of a sudden completely drains the overflow box, then eighther the syphon is kicking in & out of syphon or the open channel syphons & empties the overflow before the syphon kicks in on the syphon drain. That is one of the reasons the output of the airline is supposed to be above the emergency drain.

It sounds like u are just having trouble getting the syphon tuned in, so when the syphon kicks in it just empties the overflow box until the syphon sucks air. When the syphon sucks air the water will build up again until the syphon purges the air again & when it does it just empties the overflow again.

When u get the system going the first thing u want to try & achieve is to get the water in the overflow box stable to where it doesn’t flunctuate. Once u get to that point is when u can fine tune it to get the water level to where u want it. In your case u are going to want the water level right where u have the dotted line drawn on the open channel.

I would start with the valve fully open. Let the system get going & close the valve half way & see what happens. If the water level still doesn’t rise & isn’t steady then u will need to close the valve even more. Depending on flow & size of the plumbing u may end up having to run it with the valve halfway to 3/4’s of the way closed.
Okay, i'll give it another shot with more time at each setting.

To answer ? If water ever reaches the U.... If I do reset via open full siphon such that box drains below open inlet and start over here's what happens. Dial gate valve partially closed until water begins to rise, maybe 80%open. Water rises to U. Once it hits the U it immediately drains it down to the open inlet and from there on begins surging up and down never reaching the U again. That's why I thought a vacuum had occurred.

To add to this I ran another crude test to try and confirm some thoughts. I have my airline in a cap similar to Beans original design. So I just took the entire cap off with the airline tube to allow more air, again thinking a vacuum was occurring. Thing is this did help, albeit not solved nor quiet. So at the time I was still thinking it was a vacuum issue. But sounds like you don't think the vertical is effecting it, so I'll play with it more because I'd prefer not to cut it out.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Custom Oak Stand | 75G FO Display | 40G Breeder Sump | MarinePure Ceramic Media Plate | Eshopps x-120 skimmer | Mag9 Return | Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15w
Clowning_Around is offline   Reply With Quote