View Single Post
Unread 05/22/2014, 01:55 PM   #1
watchguy123
Registered Member

Water change--how much is too much

I have never understood the rationale for the amount or frequency of water changes. I do understand the basis of water changes. ie, replacing trace elements and removing unwanted elements. I realize there are those that prefer no water changes but what I want to know is how much is too much

I have a 180 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump and 20 gallon refugium but between the rock and sump equipment (skimmer, etc), I estimate 180 is the water volume. Lots and lots of coral and a good assortment of fish. Calcium reactor, chaeto and occasional gfo in a reactor. Parameters stable and appropriate.

I have historically done 10 gallons weekly because it was convenient.

What happens if I start 5 gallon water changes daily. Am I going to adversely remove plankton that my corals are feeding on or create some other unintended negative effect. The goal is help keep the water near ideal conditions. I want to make sure sure there is no buildup of unwanted elements as well as no depletion of desired water elements. I don't plan on changing any of my current husbandry efforts (skimming, chaeto, parameter testing, etc).

watchguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote