View Single Post
Unread 05/23/2009, 01:46 PM   #109
Goodwin9
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante_JoseCuerv
Hmmm, everything looks fine in a tank that size, but the garibaldi I'd have to say is a no-go. Undulated and Titan triggers are no match for a garibaldi. Also, the firefish are probably way too timid for a tank like that.
I bought a couple of them before reading up on them.

"Hypsypops rubicundus, commonly known as the Garibaldi, is a large, bright orange fish found in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Southern California and Mexico. The name Garibaldi comes from the Italian Army leader, Guiseppi Garibaldi, whose forces wore bright red shirts.

The Garibaldi is a member of the damselfish, or damsel, family. Of the 240 members of the damselfish family, the Garibaldi is the largest. It can grow up to 14 inches in length with the average adult around 10-12 inches."

"The Garibaldi are extremely territorial and will defend their food, shelter and nesting areas against other predators (Sikkel, 95). Although hardly menacing, the Garibaldi have been known to attack divers in defense of their nests.

Young Garibaldi are multi-colored. Their orange and red bodies are covered with iridescent blue spots. As the Garibaldi ages it begins to lose its spot and turns a deep, and bright orange (Sikkel, 97).

In 1995, the California State Legislature passed AB77. This bill designated the Garibaldi as the state marine fish. It also placed a temporary moratorium on the commercial collection of Garibaldi fish and extended a permanent prohibition on the commercial collection from Catalina's southern shores."

They are a cold water fish. The two that I purchased did not survive in my tank.

-----------------------------------------------

Current Tank Info: 470 Gallon tank