Thread: Clam Issue
View Single Post
Unread 12/04/2017, 12:00 PM   #30
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
It seems to me that you are not a newbie for clams, your doing all the right things that I can see. The snails are not a good thing.....the base should be clean......the foot should be clean....and once attached to the rock, you cannot move it without damaging it.
Normally, I'd agree with you but I think we are all newbies for clams since they are very complex animals. But I do feel that I have enough experience with clams to know that the position of the mantle of the Maxima in the photo I shared is not normal and it's on a death course. And since I've lost others in the past few weeks, something is up and it has to be pest or disease related since my acros are fine. I have some tough to keep acros too including a Pink Floyd which is super hairy!

So in terms of snails, I thought that only pyramid snails are the issue. These are baby nerite snails. I've had these snails in my tank like this for at least a year when they started breeding. Never caused issues but who knows.

I did a 15% water change today and yesterday to see if I can kick it into recovery in case there is some missing element in my tank. I don't believe so since I professionally test my tank every 60 days, and also tested my new saltwater which puts in ideal levels of Ca and Mg, and alk around 8.6 dkh tested three times and averaged with a calibrated Hanna checker.

Interesting comment about size of the clam. Trying to work a deal out with the guy who sold me them. I'll look for bigger ones.

Question is, in your opinion, how big is the threshold? Would you say to look for clams over 5"? I just picked a random number.

Cheers,
Joey

malx is offline   Reply With Quote