View Single Post
Unread 12/09/2017, 10:12 PM   #18
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
I guess I'll take issue with that... some what. Is there a need, probably not. Can it be useful, probably yes for some animals.

I guess it depends on what you are feeding, to whom and how much flow you have. If you use foods that are very light weight (or even liquid) flushing them out of the tank with flow isn't a sign of over feeding. If you are feeding inverts that food can settle on (anemones, zoas, mushrooms) then letting it settle can prove helpful to those individuals. If your tank has high flow, both overflow and wavemaker flow, then reducing or stopping the flow for a short period of time can be helpful. Other animals that use the flow will get their opportunity when the flow comes back on and food that hasn't been captured gets kicked back up and suspended in the water column for the other inverts and fish.
Fair enough. OP was talking bout fish feeding, so I should have been clearer. I don't target feed any of my inverts, so the pumps never go off

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote