View Single Post
Unread 07/03/2018, 10:54 AM   #1
kenpau
Registered Member

Paul's downsized but not downgraded 30 gallon nano...

It's been over a year since my last post on here as life had kind of got in the way of my reefkeeping passion!
I had a previous thread on here where I was detailing the build of my last tank which was a 150 gallon zeovit reef...

[IMG]IMAG0370 by kenpau01, on Flickr[/IMG]

Sadly I had to sell this system due to moving into a rental that didn't allow me to have it.
Fast forward two years I now have a daughter with my fiancee and a new home...on the thirteenth floor of a new apartment block.
Beautiful place with amazing views, we're very lucky (here's a couple of shots if you've never been lucky enough to visit 'the lucky country' down under...

[IMG]36088308_10155391060156574_6502104861465640960_o by kenpau01, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]36034256_10155391060286574_6132529857722056704_o by kenpau01, on Flickr[/IMG]

The big downside to apartment life, no 1 tonne 1.5m long aquariums here! So I had to go smaller for my first ever nano system. If I had to go smaller I wanted to go very high end.
This site is full of people who have made their own systems from nothing, unfortunately I don't have that talent, so I had to pay someone that did!
A company named Liquid Oasis here in Perth produce the most unbelievable quality systems, all moulded acrylic sumps/overflows/ATO chambers etc.
So the system I designed with them is a 2ftx2ftx1ft shallow nano, only about 108 litres all up.

New toys....

[IMG]20180701_211225 by kenpau01, on Flickr[/IMG]

The new system, it was filled tonight so a little cloudy still...

[IMG]one by kenpau01, on Flickr[/IMG]

two by kenpau01, on Flickr

Lighting is provided by two Radion XR15 pro gen 4's mounted with the Radion mounting system. Very pleased with these lights so far, although I haven't really played with them properly and I haven't seen any growth with them obviously.

[IMG]three by kenpau01, on Flickr[/IMG]

Under the hood is an acrylic moulded sump and ATO chamber, pipework is from Georg Fischer who provide pipework solutions for the mining and automotive sector to withstand extreme pressures.

[IMG]four by kenpau01, on Flickr[/IMG]

The return pump is a Vectra M1, massively overrated for this system, it'll probably be operating at 20% for most of the time, although it allows me extra flow to run through a chiller later on. The only thing that bugs me is that it is not compatible with the Neptune Apex, I was hoping to run a couple of programs with this because it is acting as a flow pump but for some reason Ecotech Marine decided not to make it compatible.
The ATO is a Smart ATO micro which is supposed to be awesome, however for some reason this one doesn't seem to be working, the pump just comes on and doesn't shut off.

[IMG]five by kenpau01, on Flickr[/IMG]

The controller is mounted with the Vortech mounting system, I will be adding the MP10 controller next to is soon.

[IMG]Seven by kenpau01, on Flickr[/IMG]

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon mixed reef

Last edited by kenpau; 07/03/2018 at 11:45 AM.
kenpau is offline   Reply With Quote