View Single Post
Unread 10/26/2006, 10:36 AM   #11
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by graveyardworm
I think a constant 70-74 is still going to be too warm, lobster tanks for example I believe are kept much cooler than that. Like low 60's, but i could be wrong. Also I would'nt discount the ability of coraline to grow in cold water tank. I know if I go out onto the rocks at low tide here in NH and turn over rocks the undersides are covered with coraline. I would skip the tropical LR as well, there is going to be a huge amount of die off including the beneficial bacteria. Eventually it will house temperate bacteria, but wouldnt look very natural to the biotope you're trying to simulate.

Good luck with the whole project, cant wait to see some pics.
I hear ya. Chasmodes bosquianus and the other fish are also found in Florida waters, so I don't think that temperature is an issue. Water parameters in the Chesapeake are constanty changing too, making it tough for sensitive species to thrive there. These fish live all year long with temperatures fluctuating from 40's to even upper 80's and salinity ranging from near fresh water to near ocean salinity in the Bay. Even the invertebrate species found in this biotope have to endure severe fluctuations. I'd welcome coralline growth and I may get that with frequent water changes, but without intense lighting (probably will use fluorescents), would it still grow and thrive in this type of tank?

I've been also thinking about water quality, it doesn't have to be reef like and nutrient free (see the video in the first post). I'm even thinking about using a skimmer (or maybe no skimmer at all) that would be rated for a tank smaller than this, and also going with a wet/dry trickle filter to control ammonia an nitrites. I think that most of the invertebrates will be hydroids, hardy anemones, tunicates, oysters, barnacles and mussels, and other filter feeders. So, the higher nutrients will help them out in addition so some supplemental planktonic feed products perhaps. These inverts don't need as much light. In addition, the bay waters are pretty much mostly murky and filled with nutrients (both natural and, unfortunately, man introduced). That was my thought about introducing tropical bacteria. I didn't expect the bacterial species to be intolerant of these conditions, so that is something that I'd probably have to think about. The tropical LR would be in a fuge anyway, not in the display tank where I'd have DIY LR. The bay rocks just aren't porous enough, mostly made of clay too. That said, your points are well taken and appreciated, I may still purchase or build a chiller for this system eventually if it becomes apparent that my tank isn't doing so well, so when I plumb I'll make sure that I do so in a way that could accomodate that addition.

My main concern isn't so much the inverts here, but getting these fish to breed and thrive. If the biotope works out and I can keep all of these critters successfully, then so much the better Also, my other concerns include making sure that the life in the tank benefits from the amounts of nutrients at any given time (and I will have to chart and monitor what levels are best), at the same time having water clarity good enough to study the inhabitants. So, I think that I may use carbon in the wet/dry too.

Another thing that I'd like to simulate is the tide and water movements, not lowering the water but currents. I can use directional flow to simulate water moving in and out of the mouth of a tidal creek for example, where a dock with an oyster reef may reside and form the habitat that I'm trying to duplicate.

Thanks for the input and I plan on using this as a reference in the future, so your ideas posted and those that will be posted may come in handy down the road. I'll be honest when things work or don't work and give the "I told ya so" credits when due as well , the point being that all is much appreciated.

I do have some benefit too, that local science has studied and bred these fish in captivity, and also that the Calvert Marine Museum has a similar tank set up (but probably fish only) with lot's of my favorite blennies for the public to see. This tank is my inspiration.

And, thanks GYW for the Steve Weast link. His tank is one of my favorites. I haven't seen that thread and look forward to reading it for potential tips. I'm always on his Oregonreef.com looking for updates and saving his photos as wallpaper

I can't wait for this to be up and running, and I really want to share the outcome with everyone. I really love this site and you all have inspired me as well!!!!!!!!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote