View Single Post
Unread 07/17/2018, 11:09 AM   #7
Kilich
Registered Member

Journal Entry - About Me 07/17/2018

A bit about my past with fish tanks, I was first introduced to fresh water by my friend who was studying marine biology. I started a fresh water 20gal long tank, it didn't take long from there and several trips to LFS store to convince me to get into the saltwater game.

Saltwater is a perfect home for me, I've always loved gear and gadgets, and it combines that with the aesthetic beauty of fish, live rock, sand, and corals.

My first saltwater tank was a 26 gallon bowfront, with a 10gallon sump, for my first tank I thought i did average.

Overtime I started off well, but as school and life got busier, my parameters were suffering, and I started dealing with a lot of unwanted hitchhikers. I found myself only topping off, and neglecting my tank after a year of usage. BIG MISTAKE, algae grew out of control, and nothing i would do would help. Eventually I shut down the tank when i moved out of the apartment.

The next tank I had was this 120gallon long, with a 35gallon sump. This was the most beautiful tank I could have wished for. I set it up nicely it was my first half way DIY system. It came with PVC piping i had to put it back together, after a few months it ended miserably. In my parents house the check valve failed on a power outage, and the sump isnt big enough to handle the backflow. it leaked 60gal of water in 2 hours, over our wood floor into the basement, no lasting damage though thank god. Regardless to say, that was the end of that tank, my parents wanted me to discontinue the tank. I wish I set it up in the basement with a proper sump that could have handled the backflow... I guess you live and you learn.

Ive Learned from my mistakes. Being older, balancing going to the gym, working full time, preparing meal prep every day, has prepared me for great success with determination in achieving my goals as a reef keeper and other areas of my life.

26 Gallon Bowfront - 2011

PS - I hate xenia now lol... that stuff spreads like wildfire.

120 Gallon Long - Didnt last long

Last edited by Kilich; 07/17/2018 at 11:17 AM.
Kilich is offline   Reply With Quote