View Single Post
Unread 03/21/2012, 02:15 PM   #340
MammothReefer
Registered Member

First I agree time on a forum doesn't count. The only experience that is relevant to keeping long term successful reef tanks is keeping long term successful reef tanks.

But, Yes I'm an asshat, and a noob now. This is how we go about having civil discussions and productive conversations. Throw out insults, personal attacks and use perceived "experience" as to infer that all others opinions and experience are mute.

Clearly we don't agree on fundamental things like the word "thriving". To me, a thriving reef has to be PROVEN a long term success, not a month not a couple months. If you're tank is crashing after a couple months. It's not thriving. End of story. I don't have to wait a few years to tell you that something doesn't work when it's crashing in the first couple months and I've done the same thing, and had the EXACT same results (all be it different trigger points).

1 Rock, some sand, small skimmer. Regular water changes high watt halide, sps = My tank of death. To much, to fast. 2004. Bacteria bloom, algae bloom.. all dead.

I could sit here and bash everybody back, point out flaws, inaccuracies, and things that have been said that have no bearing on the subject at hand. But what would be the point of that? What would that solve? Also there are just way to many responses for me to keep up with at this point in time, so I will just say this.

You want to listen to us, you don't want to listen to us. There are all these claims being thrown around how everybody knows more then everybody else and we should all just sit back and listen to somebody because they are a perceived expert in the field, but to me the proof is in the pudding. I'm not claiming to be an expert myself by any means I've probably crashed more tanks then most of you over the years. With that said however when I post online, ask for help and people are willing to give me there time I appreciate it and I respect them for it. I don't care who you are, what degrees you have, if you were the first person to do something. If it's not directly related to what you are trying to do now it doesn't matter. Personally I'd take the advice and suggestions from a guy like SunnyX, Copps, NVTE, Greg Carrol, or many of the people whom have tanks that I admire and respect over that of an "expert", "long timer". What these guys have achieved are only theorized by the likes of the experts in the field.

Having knowledge does not equate to the direct ability to apply said knowledge.

Either way in the end, I'm here for one only one reason. My Enjoyment. I enjoy the hobby, I enjoy the community, I enjoy the conversation, and I enjoy the wealth of knowledge and experience that others are willing to share with me here. I mean no ill will towards any member, and I wish you and your tank long term success.

-B

Current Tank Info: 105 Peninsula
MammothReefer is offline   Reply With Quote