View Single Post
Unread 10/26/2013, 01:30 AM   #11
uncleof6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I don't think a true BA can be done across dual overflows - at least, I couldn't figure out how to do it! In my case, I don't see any good reason to run anywhere close to 2600 gph through my sump - my guess is I'm less then half of that, probably 1000 or so. So, half runs through the durso into an ATS (so water-air mixture is actually preferred); the other half through the siphon quietly into the skimmer section of the sump. Should either the durso or the siphon become fully plugged, the emergency will manage the load. should both become fully plugged ...... well, hopefully that won't happen.

I think, in retrospect, I ought to have bought a non reef ready version of the tank and installed my own C2C overflow with external BA - too late now though.
Of course it can be done. Where the dry emergency is, is rather irrelevant, but get the siphon and the open channel in the same body of water e.g. the same overflow, and it will function as the BA is designed to. Where folks get tripped is shutting down one overflow. There is some merit to that line of thought, as rr tanks are already lacking in overflow length sorely lacking, but shutting down one overflow in and of itself is not an issue. Fill it with sand, keep water flowing over it (oopss gotta use powerhead, closed loop won't and doesn't get it done) instant mini dsb. It may not do much, but certainly will not hurt anything, unless it fills up with crud, which it won't if you keep water moving over it.

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote