View Single Post
Unread 07/01/2018, 07:42 PM   #10
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

115 gal display, emerald 39 sump. I use a 6 stage RODI hooked up to a nearby bathroom sink and mix new salt water next to the tank. I run a hose from the tank to the toilet in the same bathroom to siphon out 24 gal. The siphon hose is plumbed to a 90 degrees elbow with a length of hose (screen at the end to avoid drawing in a fish) that breaks the siphon at a level equal to 24 gal removed (this took some trial and error to get right). There is a mixing pump in the new water that gets hooked to another (shorter) hose to pump in the new water. Connecting and disconnecting the portable RODI filter is the toughest part, and it’s really pretty easy. It’s stored in a nearby closet.
Under 3 hours to fill the mixing tub, a few hours to let it mix, and about 20 minutes to drain and refill, another 20 minutes or so to clean up and DONE!
Getting the RODI filter was one of the best equipment purchases I ever made. Going out to buy water and transporting it was a PITA, especially as I live on the second floor. I can’t believe I did it for so long before I got the filter.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote