View Single Post
Unread 05/13/2010, 07:56 AM   #22
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Neo, There's at least one (maybe more?) design similar to what I'm doing that uses a screen like that, if folks are interested in going that route. As with many DIY things, there are a billion "good" solutions, so it's more a matter of picking your taste rather than there being a single "best" for everyone.

Also, there are about eleventybillion sources for that Nokia screen, though of course not all of them have the interface hardware and joystick that nu's does. The bare screen usually doesn't have a backlight with it either but it can be had dirt dirt cheap (like $5). It's a little more of a pain to design around, and while it would be "nice" to have, I don't think it's the kind of effort I want to include in a low-end "easy" project.

To be honest, half the reason I did this design was to give myself something to tinker with in between working on the Hydra, so even if no one else uses it, it'll fulfill that role nicely. The other half of the reason was that people without hobby electronics experience PM me all the time with questions like "how do I use the Arduino just to control LEDs?" and I wanted to have a default answer that didn't involve excess or spending more than you should have to.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote