Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2009, 01:45 PM   #101
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I chose white because it's something different. It's reflective, and I'm hoping it helps "open up" the space.

I don't intend to try too hard to keep it clean. It'll be mostly hidden anyways - the bottom will be covered with sand, and the sides will be shaded thanks to the eurobrace. I suppose over time it'll all be covered in coraline anyways.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2009, 03:48 PM   #102
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Poured the first coat in one "end" this morning. The tank had to be stood up on the ground to facilitate this:

That's a standard 48' x 18" drywall T square for reference.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
Unread 12/31/2009, 03:51 PM   #103
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Oh and you can also see my really sloppy fill jobs around some of the joints in the bracing. I'll sand it all down later.

I'm proud to say that so far my joinery has passed the test of being tight. On some other plywood build threads, you read about the epoxy seeping out all over the place when it's first poured, since the joints aren't tight enough. So far, I've had one spot where it barely bled through a joint.

I also poured one end in the sump, though I didn't take a photo. I used packing tape to make a dam since there's no perimeter bracing on the sump. It looked like it worked fine. We'll see how easy it is to take off.

Unread 12/31/2009, 04:54 PM   #104
MMERITT28
Registered Member

Sorry for the newb question but how do you keep from having a seem where epoxy meets epoxy? Do you have to prep the bottom where the side pour meets it in order to get adhesion so that it does not leak there later on? Thanks

MMERITT28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2009, 05:09 PM   #105
johno4
Registered Member

looks really nice. Im courious to see how the white will look once its done. It has the potential to look really different and nice as long as your able to keep it clean.

johno4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2009, 07:16 PM   #106
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERITT28 View Post
Sorry for the newb question but how do you keep from having a seem where epoxy meets epoxy? Do you have to prep the bottom where the side pour meets it in order to get adhesion so that it does not leak there later on? Thanks
The epoxy basically cures in three stages:

1) Pot life: The epoxy is totally liquid. For this epoxy, it's around 45 minutes.
2) Setting: The epoxy starts the stage like really thick molasses. Near the end, it's more or less set, but still soft enough that you can easily dent it with a fingernail. It remains tacky. Around 12 - 24 hours for this epoxy.
3) Curing: 48 hours for this epoxy. At this point, it's solid, no longer tacky, and more or less completely done.

If you pour a new layer during the setting stage, they'll bond chemically and be as if they were one solid layer. If a prior layer sets up, you need to sand it to create some roughness, which lets the new layer form a mechanical bond.

Also, some epoxies blush (get powdery) as they set. For blushing epoxies, you need to clean the blush off and/or sand to create a good bond. This epoxy does not blush, so you can just pour before the old epoxy is totally set, and it forms a perfect bond.

So, if I time the layers correctly - between about 12 and 24 hours apart - the bond is good with no prep work. This is one of the reasons I chose this epoxy. No blush to clean up, and since it sets sooooo sloooooooowly, I have a big window to hit between layers. Also, the long pot life means I can take my time when mixing and pouring the layers.

So, I started out by pouring the bottom. I poured the last layer of the bottom last night. Then, today, I poured the first layer on the end panel. The "seam" where these two panels meet was fine with no prep work, since the top layer of the bottom was less than 24 hours old. However, when I pour additional sides, the bottom will be totally set, so I'll need to sand lightly to create a good bond. Once all the panels are poured, I'll go back and sand all the corners out pretty thoroughly, and make some nice thick fillets. This will ensure there's absolutely no chance of a leak on a seam.

Also, I used waterproof glue, and coated exterior screws. So really, the entire joint is waterproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno4 View Post
looks really nice. Im courious to see how the white will look once its done. It has the potential to look really different and nice as long as your able to keep it clean.
Yeah, we'll see. I don't think I'll need too much effort to keep it clean, and I'm kind of hoping it grows in with coraline after a while, but we'll see. To give credit where it's due, I got the idea for a white interior from one of the builds on the fingerlakesreef forum. Once I saw it on that tank, I knew instantly that I would do it, too.

Unread 12/31/2009, 07:42 PM   #107
MMERITT28
Registered Member

I appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me. I am really impressed with your build skills and am looking forward to seeing this project progress. Happy New Year!

Unread 01/01/2010, 02:21 AM   #108
kcress
Registered Member

Quote:
I appreciate you taking the time to explain
Ditto.

kcress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2010, 02:15 PM   #109
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

No prob. I like talking about this stuff almost as much as doing it.

Unread 01/01/2010, 02:35 PM   #110
A Reef Scene
Registered Member.

Do you think this process would work for a tank that is 120x48x36 with olny one viewing window?

A Reef Scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2010, 03:06 PM   #111
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Absolutely. It would work for any size tank. You'd just have to scale the technique accordingly to be sure you have a sound structure. If you price out the materials, it's vastly cheaper than getting a custom tank built in larger sizes.

Check out fingerlakesreef.com - there's a whole subforum there dedicated to wood tanks, with several great build threads in the size range you're talking about. Or look around here - Mattshack has a ~1000g build thread you might want to check out.

Unread 01/01/2010, 03:23 PM   #112
dahenley
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
Absolutely. It would work for any size tank. You'd just have to scale the technique accordingly to be sure you have a sound structure. If you price out the materials, it's vastly cheaper than getting a custom tank built in larger sizes.

Check out fingerlakesreef.com - there's a whole subforum there dedicated to wood tanks, with several great build threads in the size range you're talking about. Or look around here - Mattshack has a ~1000g build thread you might want to check out.
Fingerlakes has a ton of wood info.

240display, reef in progress

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
dahenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2010, 09:15 AM   #113
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Definitely. I couldn't do this project without those guys. None of the stuff I've done so far (at least in terms of construction methods) is new or groundbreaking, it's all just copying their methods.

I poured a bunch more epoxy, but no photos. My cellphone picked up the unfortunate habit of crashing and rebooting every time I use the camera. I'm tempted to "drop" it in a bucket of epoxy. I hate this freaking phone.

Unread 01/03/2010, 05:43 PM   #114
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Some more pics. This is a pretty "boring" part of the build - pouring epoxy every 12-24 hours or so - so I'll try to make it interesting. Some people have asked about the process of using the epoxy, so here are some photos.

My "mixing station:"

The epoxy vendor I used sells these handy dispensing pumps that do 1 ounce each, allowing for precise mixing. On very large batches, I'm using measuring cups and pouring, but anything under 30 or 40 ounces or so (a majority of the build) I'm using the pumps.

Once the resin and hardener are in the cup, I mix for several minutes:

I'm using cheap disposable plastic mixing pots and spatulas, but I re-use them. The plastic is handy because it's flexible and the epoxy doesn't stick to it. So, I have three sets of the mixing pots and spatulas. When I use a set, I scrape out as much resin as I can, then put it aside. When the resin on that set has cured, it kind of "peels" out:

The end result is a bunch of thin disks of epoxy, and clean tools I can re-use!

Once it's mixed, I pour it on the panel:

Then spread it with a wider spatula:

In those pics, you can sorta see two other details. First, around the openings or raw edges, I'm using clear packing tape to form a "dam" so the epoxy doesn't just pour out. This is very quick and easy, but not 100% effective. In one or two spots, I've had leaks past the tape. This isn't a big deal, it might waste 3 or 4 ounces (out of nearly 1,000 ounces of epoxy I'm using on this project!)

Here's the worst leak yet:

You can also see that the resin I was using in those batches is clear, un-tinted. I'm just tinting the final layer on each panel. No need to tint the lower layers, as they are buried.

Speaking of layers and being buried, Here's a clean edge, showing the tinted layer on top of the untinted layers. This also sort of shows the thickness. This was an edge that was taped up, so the epoxy has formed a little ridge, making it look a little thinner than it really is. It appears to be nearly 1/4" thick in this photo (the plywood is 3/4") but it's probably more like 3/16":

Anyways, another week or so of pouring and the epoxy will be DONE! Woo hoo!

Unread 01/03/2010, 05:49 PM   #115
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

And one more shot of two completed sides and one bare side. Shows the final surface pretty well - smooth and glossy white, but pocked with bubbles. This was probably the bubbliest part of the tank so far:

As I mentioned earlier, once all sides are poured, I'll do fillets in each corner to make sure the seal is good.

Unread 01/03/2010, 08:23 PM   #116
dogstar74
Premium Member

Can't bubbles be "popped" using a butane lighter? If you lightly pass a flame over the bubbles, then they will pop before they solidify.

I hope someone can confirm this before you burn your whole project up.

Aaron

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon nano with ATS
dogstar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2010, 04:58 AM   #117
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

I did that with my tank, but I used a different epoxy than willie. I used MAS and it worked fine. Just be aware that the epoxy WILL catch fire if you don't keep the flame moving.

don't go ninjin' nobody that don't need ninjin'!

Current Tank Info: 220g custom plywood. SPS heavy with Sequence Hammerhead return with 4-Way OM. Tunze 6100, 6200 and Wavebox. 5000btu DIY Chiller. Lighting is 10K mh 250W / VHO Actinic Skimer - H&S A200-2x1260
AcroSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2010, 06:07 AM   #118
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I've heard that, but haven't tried. You can also pop them by tapping them with the corner of the spatula. It's just a matter of getting them all - the bottom was especially hard because it's just so big. Some of the panels I've done since are virtually bubble-free. In the end, with three layers and more than 1/8" of epoxy, I'm not worried.

Unread 01/04/2010, 09:03 AM   #119
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I should note that I'm having the most trouble with bubbles in the pigmented layers - mostly because in the clear layers, you can see the sub-surface bubbles and do something to pop them. In the pigmented layers, you can only see the bubbles right at the surface. So, what I'm doing now is vibrating the tank much longer on the pigmented layers to get the bubbles to the surface.

Unread 01/04/2010, 11:17 AM   #120
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

When I used the torch, many tiny bubbles that I had not noticed also burst.

I did not take much care when mixing my epoxy. i just stirred it fairly fast rather than very slowly.

Current Tank Info: 220g custom plywood. SPS heavy with Sequence Hammerhead return with 4-Way OM. Tunze 6100, 6200 and Wavebox. 5000btu DIY Chiller. Lighting is 10K mh 250W / VHO Actinic Skimer - H&S A200-2x1260
Unread 01/04/2010, 11:17 AM   #121
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

When I used the torch, many tiny bubbles that I had not noticed also burst.

I did not take much care when mixing my epoxy. i just stirred it fairly fast rather than very slowly.

Unread 01/06/2010, 10:00 AM   #122
iwishtofish
Registered Member

What a great project! Very eager for updates!

iwishtofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2010, 10:46 AM   #123
Hookup
Registered Member

This is certainly one of the most interesting and well documented build threads i've had the pleasure of reading. At the begining I was dead-set against this plywood design idea thinking there's just no way to make these tanks look good... But as I read on, I was compelled to research a bit futher and i have to say I am very impressed at what can be done with some wood and epoxy. These tanks rival any others I've seen.

Your clarity of thought and purpose on this build is what interestes me the most. I really like that you know exactly what you do not want, and have a pretty darn good idea of what you do want. Very exciting to watch this happen.

Doing my own build thread I know the effort it takes to keep things photo-journaled to this level (which I do not by the way) and I have to say it makes reading your thread a real pleasure. Keep up the fantastic work both in the shop and on the forum!

Tim

I'm not sure FOWLRs actually exist, I think they're like unicorns or platonic girlfriends. A FOWLR is just a reef tank that doesn't yet hold any coral.

Current Tank Info: 180g display, 150gallon sump in-wall 4-side viewable sps dominated tank, ATI Powermodule, MRC MR-4 skimmer, GHL controller, Baling Method, Ultralith Reactor, Carbon & Phosphate Reactors, and general time consuming money pit that I live for.
Hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2010, 11:41 AM   #124
MMERITT28
Registered Member

How is it coming along? Any more pictures?

Unread 01/06/2010, 12:14 PM   #125
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookup View Post
This is certainly one of the most interesting and well documented build threads i've had the pleasure of reading. At the begining I was dead-set against this plywood design idea thinking there's just no way to make these tanks look good... But as I read on, I was compelled to research a bit futher and i have to say I am very impressed at what can be done with some wood and epoxy. These tanks rival any others I've seen.
Agreed. I first heard of plywood tanks 3 or 4 years ago when a local guy built a 450g. That tank is legendary for spawning a lot of interest in the area. I'd heard people talking about it and figured it was a really stupid idea, but after seeing them and researching, I've come to the conclusion that it's a pretty brilliant idea. It struck me as foolish to make a tank where a large portion of the structure is not transparent. Back then, I thought rimless open-top tanks were the bee's knees, but since I've had a complete reversal - I like the fact that the plywood parts of the tank partially obscure the view from certain angles. It's something to work with. Reminds me of the grain that shows up in film photography. Technically you might think it's an imperfection, but it can be used to create an interesting artistic effect.

Quote:
Your clarity of thought and purpose on this build is what interestes me the most. I really like that you know exactly what you do not want, and have a pretty darn good idea of what you do want. Very exciting to watch this happen.
Thanks, I appreciate it. In the end, I don't want this to be a plywood tank thread, I want it to be a thread about turning my ideas into a massive and long-lasting addition to my home. I'm glad it seems to be coming across, because sometimes I worry that I just ramble the same things over and over again and no one reads them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishtofish View Post
What a great project! Very eager for updates!
Quote:
How is it coming along? Any more pictures?
No more pictures. This is a pretty boring part of the build, it's just pouring epoxy over and over and over and over and over again. I never thought I'd say this but I'm getting a little sick of the stuff.

That said, I have only 1 and 1/3rd sides to finish, so I should be done this weekend. Then it's going to be a good solid week of touch ups, finishing, etc - drilling bulkhead holes (first I have to decide where they'll go!), sealing the exposed wood inside the holes, sealing the euro-bracing (which won't get poured epoxy, probably just painted on), filling more screw holes, and so on.