Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2010, 10:12 PM   #1
Reefobsession
Moved On

Reefobsession 93 Cube Build!!!!

Hey everybody, I am just starting to get my 93 gallon up and going. I will post pics on the way.
Here is some of the equipment I am using.
93 gallon marineland cube 30"X30"X24" tall
marineland stand
MP40W
MP20
Octo cone 2000X (Had a Vertex alpha 170, but it wouldn't fit under my stand)
Lumenbright large pendant
Coralvue 400W dimmable ballast
Radium 20K bulb
15 gallon custom built sump
4 bulk reef supply dosing pumps
RKL
2 PC4's
SL1 module with PH and ORP
Spectra Pure auto top off.
80#s of special grade carib sea aragonite sand
5#'s of live sand
80#s of carib sea South Sea base rock (This stuff is sweet)

I won't have my light for a week or so. Waiting for my tax return.
I am dosing 2 part, vodka, and MB7. I am going to follow sunnyX's recipe. I'll look into trying his other suplements as well.

I am really excited about this build.
Here are some pics of my stand tank.

Here is the sump

I also glued a piec of acrylic on my tank so that I could have a holder for my dosing pump outlet hoses.

Here is a picture of the dry rock and sand that I bought from Premium

Started working on my rock structure as well. I am going for a bosai tree look. My camera is junk, so you can't really pick up the actual depth of the structure.

Thats it for now. I will post some more pics tom. I allready started filling the tank with water and put the sand in. I will post pics later tom.
Thanks

Last edited by Reefobsession; 01/21/2010 at 10:21 PM.
Reefobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2010, 10:19 PM   #2
spleify
Registered Member

Looks like it is gonna be a sweet setup.

Keep us posted

Current Tank Info: 60 gal SPS cube, with 25 gal refugium, 400W MH, DIY Lumenarc III, DIY skimmer, DIY stand and canopy. 40 breeder LPS with 40 gallon sump, DIY stand, 250W MH
spleify is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2010, 10:21 PM   #3
Reefobsession
Moved On

Thanks spleify!
Yeah I love the dimensions of this tank.

Unread 01/22/2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Reefobsession
Moved On

I'll get some more pics up later this afternoon early evening.

Unread 01/22/2010, 12:59 PM   #5
karsco
Registered Member

Looking good, nice equipment selection....

karsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Reefobsession
Moved On

Thanks karsco.
I will be getting my skimmer and MP20 on Tuesday. I will eventually upgrade the mp20 to a MP40. Once my SPS grow larger in size.

Unread 01/22/2010, 01:54 PM   #7
mdemuth
Registered Member

The rock looks very nice

mdemuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2010, 02:04 PM   #8
seattlerob
Registered Member

I have the same tank & love it! Went with a custom stand/canopy since Marineland doesn't offer a canopy for the smaller deep dimension tanks...

I've had mine set up since 10/2009. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=48818

Good luck with your new tank!

Rob

seattlerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2010, 02:27 PM   #9
Reefobsession
Moved On

mdemuth- thanks. I did another larger structure as well. I will have pics up a little bit later.
seattlerob-I will have to register to that forum to see your tank. I am looking forward to it. I thought about building a custom stand and canopy, but I am lacking time. I would have to go to my uncles garage to build a stand. He has all the tools. I like your clown and anemone in your avatar. Is that an onyx?
Thanks for all the support.

Unread 01/22/2010, 05:32 PM   #10
Reefobsession
Moved On

Here are some more pics

Pics are not that high of quality. You really can't tell what my scape really looks like. Water is about halfway there now.
The hoses are for my dosing pumps and temp probe for my RKL

Unread 01/22/2010, 06:36 PM   #11
NasotheHutt
Registered Member

subscribed

Current Tank Info: 180 delivered...working on stand
NasotheHutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2010, 06:42 PM   #12
Reefobsession
Moved On

I am going to go with SPS for the most part. Maybe a couple LPS gems. But I feel with this structure, I have a lot of space to grow. I wish I had a better camera or that you guys could see it in person. My camera doesn't pick up all the rocks, they all kinda blend together. When I get my halide on it and when I get my skimmmer up and running, pictures will come out well.
Thanks everyone?
Anyone have any advice?

Unread 01/23/2010, 09:22 AM   #13
Reefobsession
Moved On

I'll be gone for the day. I am going up to Chicago. I will get the rest of the tank filled up tomorrow.

Unread 01/23/2010, 10:23 AM   #14
Stanley-Reefer
Registered Member

I like that tank and your setup....Is that a regularly available cube they are making now? I've only seen the 150gal and up at the lfs...I like all the automation, but I don't trust it yet

Stanley-Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2010, 01:45 PM   #15
1DeR9_3Hy
Registered Member

What method are you using to tie all the rock together?

1DeR9_3Hy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2010, 02:48 PM   #16
Reefobsession
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley-Reefer View Post
I like that tank and your setup....Is that a regularly available cube they are making now? I've only seen the 150gal and up at the lfs...I like all the automation, but I don't trust it yet
Yeah the marineland tanks are readily available. Pretty reasonable as well. I think my tank, stand, overflow kit was $750 total. so about $790 with tax.

I was right there with you on the automation. But I feel that digital aquatics makes a quality product that I can trust. It controls my 4 dosing pumps, skimmer , and heater. Take for instance if my electricity went out and then came back on, I can program the head unit to delay my skimmer turning on. This will prevent overflowing because the water level in my sump is higher. I also will have a waste bucket when I am away for my skimmer that will have a float valve, so just in case something wacky happened to my skimmer and it started overflowing it would automatically shut it off. For my heater or my lights, if my tank temp gets higher than 81, then my RK will shut off the heater just in case it stuck on, and turn off my light. Then once a half an hour passes and the temp has dropped below 81 degrees, then it will turn my light and heater back on.

Lot to take in haha. I eventually will look into getting the net module so I can monitor my Ph, ORP, salinity, and see if my other things are opperating like they should. Eventually it will be like the apex controller in which I can control stuff from my computer while I am away.

Thanks for your interest.

Unread 01/24/2010, 02:56 PM   #17
Reefobsession
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DeR9_3Hy View Post
What method are you using to tie all the rock together?
I took a 1/4" 18"X24" piece of acrylic. Drilled about 4 1/2' holes in the acrylic. took a 1/2 dell rod cut it to size, used some super glue and glued the rods in place. Put the larger flat pieces at the bottom and drilled half inch holes in the rock. I just used cheap wood hole bits. I just made sure I kept pouring water in the drill hole so that the bit stayed cool. Once I got a solid base I started drilling holes in the base rock and started branching the pieces off. Then I put the rock in first then added the sand. And that is it. Took about 2 hours total. It was really fun and easy to do. I bought a 8' acrylic rod from US plastics for about $15 shipped. Just go to Lowes and the acrylic sheet was only $13. I can't wait to get some corals in there. I made sure to leave a lot of flat spaces to allow for frags to be attached easily.

I will have pics up later tonight of the tank full of water. Water is still murky. It won't clear up much until I have a skimmer going.

So far the most time consuming part of this build was hanging all the wiring and tubing at the top of the tank.

Thanks for the support

Unread 01/24/2010, 03:14 PM   #18
spleify
Registered Member

Your making some nice progress

Current Tank Info: 60 gal SPS cube, with 25 gal refugium, 400W MH, DIY Lumenarc III, DIY skimmer, DIY stand and canopy. 40 breeder LPS with 40 gallon sump, DIY stand, 250W MH
spleify is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2010, 03:23 PM   #19
Reefobsession
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleify View Post
Your making some nice progress
Thank you. I am definitely taking my time with this build. I am waiting for my tax rebate check to buy my lighting. I looked at building my own conduit light hanger, but it might be hard now with getting behind the stand to put up the hanger. So I might hang it from the ceiling.
I will have the lighting hopefully by this next week.
I am getting my skimmer and other voretech tomorrow. Both vortechs will be on the back of the tank.
This weekend I will be getting some 2 gallon plastic containers to hold my 2 part, vodka, and MB7. I want to make my cabinet as neat as possible so that it is easy to work on.
I will get some pics up later.

Unread 01/24/2010, 03:53 PM   #20
nu_beta_2016
Registered Member

Looks good...will be tagging along.

Unread 01/24/2010, 05:02 PM   #21
Keyvan S
Registered Member

very nice....tagging along.

Keyvan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2010, 09:23 PM   #22
Henry Bowman
Reefing since '87

I am considering the same exact tank. My LFS said that it can be ordered with starphire. I'll be building a stand since I already have a sump and other items that'll need a little more room underneath. Interested in watching the progress.

Current Tank Info: 90 gl SPS dominant / upgrade in the works
Henry Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2010, 09:55 PM   #23
Reefobsession
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
I am considering the same exact tank. My LFS said that it can be ordered with starphire. I'll be building a stand since I already have a sump and other items that'll need a little more room underneath. Interested in watching the progress.
Wow I had no idea they offered in starphire. I just decided that I would just stick with regular glass because I feel that I really couldn't tell the difference unless they were side by side. But you can definitely tell when they are next to one another.

All I can say is that I love the depth of the tank. I really am not regretting getting this setup over a 120.

I will probably get some pics up tom. Almost full, but nothing to really look at, The water is still murky.

Who knows I will probably go with a rimless in 5 years, so maybe I will just keep the stand and go with a rimless 30"X30"X24" tank. But not really thinking about that right now.

Unread 01/25/2010, 12:23 PM   #24
Reefobsession
Moved On

I will get pics up tonight. I need about 5 more gallons to fill the rest of the sump.
Total water in system after displacement is 75 gallons of water. I was suprised that a 93 gallon tank with a 15 gallon sump only holds 75 gallons of water.

Unread 01/25/2010, 01:15 PM   #25
cpllongjk
Registered Member

With the Reefkeeper can you make your dosing pumps only pump for 1 minute at a time? I love how its all automated but I would worry about the vodka dosing automatically if it wasnt set up correctly.

cpllongjk is offline   Reply With Quote