Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquatic Technology
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/13/2012, 07:50 AM   #1
MHG
Registered Member

Biopellets just allong for the ride?

I have a 5 month old tanks. I have been running only 100ml of pellets in a TLF reactor for about 3 months now. I have no nitrates of phosphates to speak of and what I conside to be a low bioload (6 fis, CUC and about 5 colonies of lps and two sps).

Since starting the pellets I have no increase in skimmer output or required sock changes as others have had. I have noticed no reduction in the size of the pellets. Is it because of a low bioload or are my pellets just allong for the ride and not doing anything?

Old 03/13/2012, 12:05 PM   #2
aquatictec
RC Sponsor

Biopellets

It wouldn't hurt to put some more pellets in. Biopellets do get used up over time. They get consumed and get smaller. Just to make sure put some new ones in the reactor. If the old pellets are smaller they will gather at a different height in the reactor and you will easily be able to see the demarcation line between the 2 groups of pellets. If your nitrates and phosphates are zero that is great. Biopellets do indeed work.

aquatictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2012, 09:14 AM   #3
MHG
Registered Member

Well I added some more and my nitrates are back to zero. I just never really notice any increase in skimmer output.