Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/20/2014, 06:12 PM   #251
mntnbighker
Registered Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Does the low side pressure vary? My low side pressure is 7 PSI and it just never changes. I also have the Aquarium Plant regulator and absolutely no problems.
Based on your using 7psi I decided to try that with the rate dial cranked all the way out to 9 seconds and work back from there. I am now wondering, based on what I saw just now if the electronic regulator runs a lot more stable with a higher C02 pressure. Weirdly it appears my bubble size (volume) is actually smaller at 7psi than it is at 3. I think part of the problem is the hose expansion masks some of the behavior of the electronic regulator. So there is a disconnect between the settings and the observed behavior. In other words the regulator opens and closes, but by the time the pressure wave reaches the reactor another pulse is happening. Of course people using needle valves don't have the slightest idea what we are talking about.

mntnbighker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2014, 10:21 AM   #252
tkeracer619
Registered Member

If you want your second stage to stay exactly the same throughout the bottle you need to swap the single stage regulator on the AP out for a two stage. The Harris two stage 15psi regulator is the one you want for that. It's another $250-300. I look at my reg once in a while and adjust the pressure if necessary, it is maybe an adjustment a month at most. If you are leaving the reg on and not using a controller to pulse it, the regulator will get to temp after a day and usually stay there. It creeps as the bottle pressure drops and will also fluctuate based on the temperature of its internal spring.

The gauges AP uses are less than perfect. The actual number does not matter but yes due to the mechanics of a single stage reg it is more accurate at higher pressures. Some regs are more susceptible to this. The one you have may be sensitive.

They are reliable but he is pulling your leg if he says they don't run across issues from time to time. "Not using them correctly" = .

Can you post some pics? How long is the run and what kind of tubing are you using?

If you run the reg wide open, it is my observation that as the media dissolves the chamber ph decreases simply dissolving more media. You may find that it runs great how you have it setup but if you cannot get the ph lower maybe it is best if we address that as well?

I've always run my AP reg between 7~15psi but my final goal is ~10psi x whatever the counter is doing.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 06/22/2014 at 10:51 AM.
tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2014, 10:38 AM   #253
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Two Stage Regulator

The two stage regulator I like to use is the Harris 9200-15-320

Cheapest I've found it was $300 online at weldingsupply but I am sure someone can find a better deal. Post it if you do please

It is big and if you aren't already strapping your bottle you will need to with this reg (you should be anyways). I plan on getting one when I find a good used one but until then I am using the AP single stage.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 06/22/2014 at 10:46 AM.
Unread 06/22/2014, 10:54 AM   #254
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemos View Post
for a while I was able to tune things so the solenoid was always On/Open.
but lately it has been cycling on/off; not sure why perhaps ambient conditions or the setup in general
After you made the adjustments is it still cycling the solenoid? What is your operating ph and what is the cutoff ph?

Unread 06/23/2014, 01:02 PM   #255
mntnbighker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
If you want your second stage to stay exactly the same throughout the bottle you need to swap the single stage regulator on the AP out for a two stage. The Harris two stage 15psi regulator is the one you want for that. It's another $250-300.
Thanks for the thoughts.

The bummer is that I don't believe the AP controller is removable unless you buy that version to begin with. So it's a two stage regulator AND another AP controller to swap out the setup. I was very close to buying them separately in the first place.

It appears that after going to 7psi things are much more stable. I am seeing reactor pH in the 6.48 to 6.55 range with far fewer pH controller cycles happening. Going to the higher pressure appears to have been the magic juju. I do wish my reactor was more efficient at forcing the C02 into the effluent though.

mntnbighker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2014, 02:27 PM   #256
tkeracer619
Registered Member

You can remove the black box from the regulator body. No problems there. Like I said it is a nice to have. For most of us it is insignificant as long as we look at that gauge once in a blue moon.

Unread 06/24/2014, 04:41 PM   #257
gdemos
Registered Member

Quote:
After you made the adjustments is it still cycling the solenoid? What is your operating ph and what is the cutoff ph?
I slightly decreased bubble count and seems to be back to Always On. I mean a real micro tune. So far so good but I can't always be on top of it

gdemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2014, 05:50 PM   #258
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Sounds like you are cutting the gas off too soon. Try setting the cut off point .2 below what it is set at now. Mine is set to cut of at 6.1.

Unread 06/28/2014, 12:16 PM   #259
hkgar
Registered Member

Bad regulator?

My ph chart the last 24 hours

The high spike is from when I calibrated the probe.

Apparently last night at about 10 PM my reactor ph start diving. Apex shuts down the Aquarium Plants regulator at 6.3 so it never went lower than that.

Low side pressure was 7, flow rate 10 ml/minute, bubble rate 8 seconds. Nothing changed, just the PH start going down.

I now have the low PSI at 4 and the rate 9.5 seconds and at about 6.6. The only ting I can think of that would effect ph would be the size of the bubble. The rate didn't change as I timed the bubbles this AM and it match the setting.

Possibly the tank is starting to run low? Regulator may be bad? It is the standard set of guages that came with the regulator.

Attached Images
File Type: png graphns.php.png (20.6 KB, 45 views)

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels

Last edited by hkgar; 06/28/2014 at 01:11 PM.
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 04:53 PM   #260
cthedaytrader
Registered Member

This thread has been great and very helpful. I was a little skeptical at first about spending so much on a feed pump, but now that I have I love my MasterFlex Pumps as in plural lol. I ended up picking up two.

I was originally feeding my GEO 510 off my return with a needle valve and it was never really consistent. I have been running this 7523-90 and it has been rock solid, really set it and forget it.

[IMG] photo MasterFlex7523-90_zps4a0e1c94.jpg[/IMG]

I ended up winning another one, and I was originally just going to sell it but these things are so cool I was trying think of another use for it, and I was thinking about eventually getting a Kalk stirrer and feeding the Kalk stirrer with it rather than using my ATO, I figured that would give me so much more safety and control. Its so cool Id think I would hate to sell it now.

MY 7575-00.
[IMG] photo Masterflex7575-00_zpsfaac23e9.jpg[/IMG]

Current Tank Info: 75G Rimless 40x24x18
cthedaytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 05:56 PM   #261
gdemos
Registered Member

Looks great day trader!

Unread 07/17/2014, 08:48 PM   #262
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
My ph chart the last 24 hours

The high spike is from when I calibrated the probe.

Apparently last night at about 10 PM my reactor ph start diving. Apex shuts down the Aquarium Plants regulator at 6.3 so it never went lower than that.

Low side pressure was 7, flow rate 10 ml/minute, bubble rate 8 seconds. Nothing changed, just the PH start going down.

I now have the low PSI at 4 and the rate 9.5 seconds and at about 6.6. The only ting I can think of that would effect ph would be the size of the bubble. The rate didn't change as I timed the bubbles this AM and it match the setting.

Possibly the tank is starting to run low? Regulator may be bad? It is the standard set of guages that came with the regulator.
Did you get it figured out? Something definitely went screwy. Maybe the probe? Tube wear?

Unread 07/17/2014, 08:51 PM   #263
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthedaytrader View Post
This thread has been great and very helpful. I was a little skeptical at first about spending so much on a feed pump, but now that I have I love my MasterFlex Pumps as in plural lol. I ended up picking up two.

I was originally feeding my GEO 510 off my return with a needle valve and it was never really consistent. I have been running this 7523-90 and it has been rock solid, really set it and forget it.

[IMG] photo MasterFlex7523-90_zps4a0e1c94.jpg[/IMG]

I ended up winning another one, and I was originally just going to sell it but these things are so cool I was trying think of another use for it, and I was thinking about eventually getting a Kalk stirrer and feeding the Kalk stirrer with it rather than using my ATO, I figured that would give me so much more safety and control. Its so cool Id think I would hate to sell it now.

MY 7575-00.
[IMG] photo Masterflex7575-00_zpsfaac23e9.jpg[/IMG]
Awesome! Glad you found some great pumps. You really should take the cover off the 7575 and polish the snot out of it . It's not often you find a stainless cased drive.

Reefer comes over for a frag and sees it. "What kind of pump is that?"
You respond "Don't worry about it man, you can't get one."

Unread 07/17/2014, 11:00 PM   #264
Boa1277
Registered Member

What did you get the stainless unit for those things are big bucks direct from Masterflex!

Boa1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2014, 12:27 PM   #265
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Did you get it figured out? Something definitely went screwy. Maybe the probe? Tube wear?
It was the probe. It would calibrate just fine and hold for a few hours and then the readings would just start dropping. I have a new one and after a day or so of a bit of fine tuning holding steady at 6.5.

PS

This thread should be sticky. I send a lot of members with CA reactor question here ans I am convinced it is the only way to run a CA reactor.

Great thread

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 07/18/2014, 06:41 PM   #266
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boa1277 View Post
What did you get the stainless unit for those things are big bucks direct from Masterflex!
I bet he got a great deal, I just snagged a unit for $60, (don't present'ly have a use for it but I couldn't stop myself from bidding, I'll own a CA reactor eventually or just use it for dosing) not stainless but near mint condition, 230v 50/60hz with a European plug so the seller couldn't test it, HA, HA win for me! works flawlessly with a US plug installed and a quick look over the manual from Masterflex. Those guys have impeccable customer service even if you aren't the original owner.

zachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2014, 06:55 PM   #267
Boa1277
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachts View Post
I bet he got a great deal, I just snagged a unit for $60, (don't present'ly have a use for it but I couldn't stop myself from bidding, I'll own a CA reactor eventually or just use it for dosing) not stainless but near mint condition, 230v 50/60hz with a European plug so the seller couldn't test it, HA, HA win for me! works flawlessly with a US plug installed and a quick look over the manual from Masterflex. Those guys have impeccable customer service even if you aren't the original owner.
Nice thats sounds like a great deal!

Unread 07/28/2014, 11:23 AM   #268
hkgar
Registered Member

Help with easy load head

I have an Easy Load head, model 7518-00, on my pump that makes a clicking sound 3 times with each revolution. I know it is coming from the rollers, but does anyone have an idea what is wrong and how to fix it?

Unread 07/28/2014, 12:08 PM   #269
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
I have an Easy Load head, model 7518-00, on my pump that makes a clicking sound 3 times with each revolution. I know it is coming from the rollers, but does anyone have an idea what is wrong and how to fix it?
I don't believe anything is wrong, all of my pump heads do that, especially at lower RPM. it is usally a little slack in the connector tab or possibly the gears, that click as the roller pops loose of the tubing with each turn. a little "padding" on the tab to make it fit snug should help to solve that if it bothers you. I used some teflon tape folded over a few times and that seemed to do the trick. I imagine anything would work.

Unread 07/28/2014, 12:26 PM   #270
gdemos
Registered Member

I assumed that cadence clicking sound was normal... once in a while I get an irregular squeak. since my masterflex is in a remote closet the sound is not so much of an issue, but if it were front and center I can see how the sound would be unnerving.

will be interested in response to this as well.

Unread 07/28/2014, 12:27 PM   #271
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachts View Post
I don't believe anything is wrong, all of my pump heads do that, especially at lower RPM. it is usally a little slack in the connector tab or possibly the gears, that click as the roller pops loose of the tubing with each turn. a little "padding" on the tab to make it fit snug should help to solve that if it bothers you. I used some teflon tape folded over a few times and that seemed to do the trick. I imagine anything would work.
Are you talking about the the tab on the back of the pump head that fits into the slot on the pump body? I think I will try that.

Unread 07/28/2014, 01:37 PM   #272
Boa1277
Registered Member

+2 I am going to give this a try also, slight clicking at lower RPM has been bothering me for awhile, but these things are so much quieter than any other pump I have just wrote it off, but if there is a easy fix I am in! I used a silicone spray lubricant on the squeeky wheel thing and it fixed it right away. I had a can of garage door silicone lubricant and this is what I used. I sure diddn't take much...a very slight tap on the sprayer and that was it.

Unread 07/28/2014, 01:45 PM   #273
hkgar
Registered Member

Seems to have fixed the problem. I used about 3 inches of teflon tape and folded it over a few times and put over the tab and all is quieter. Not perfectly quiet but much better. Maybe a little more tape next time.

Unread 07/28/2014, 08:18 PM   #274
zachts
Registered Member

Quote:
Seems to have fixed the problem. I used about 3 inches of teflon tape and folded it over a few times and put over the tab and all is quieter. Not perfectly quiet but much better. Maybe a little more tape next time.
Yep, that's all I did. Depending on how tight the gears fit they may "click" a little also but this is all I've needed to do to get things very nice and quiet to where I could run it in my living room without noticing.

The tape will squish down over time so if you hear it again, just remove the head and add some more tape.

Unread 07/29/2014, 09:52 AM   #275
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Awesome! Glad to hear that problem was resolved and it was just a probe.

If you have a head that clicks often its from extra slack in the bearings or in the shaft area where it meets the drive. The rollers themselves are very durable, especially the stainless ones.

I use this stuff between my head and drive. It has a lot of uses (like pesky rear view mirrors that want to move around with your subwoofer). One package is enough for a lifetime.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-08578-Black.../dp/B000PEZ1L4

This is definitely the only way I would run a reactor, I made this thread so you guys could enjoy the successes I have. Glad it has had such positive results!