Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/27/2014, 09:42 PM   #26
OceanWolf
Registered Member

After reading some comments I decided to get rid of the return pump. I found a eheim 1260 that I would like to use. I think I will also go for a Herbie drain and use an external return pipe.
The bulkheads are non standard. I will replace them with one that I can find the fittings easily.

The stand is very sturdy. I had a hard time to drill holes to let my chiller and controller lines go through.

I installed corner braces and also created a little bit of overflow protection with some liner.

OceanWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2014, 10:07 PM   #27
OceanWolf
Registered Member

This tank is heavy. Two man team with the help of some booze did the job. Actually we consumed the booze after the move. I didn't want my helper to lose the ultimate purpose. ☺

Unread 10/28/2014, 12:39 AM   #28
slipknot23
Registered Member

[/QUOTE]

slipknot23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2014, 07:30 AM   #29
jessp
Registered Member

external from sump or outside the overflow?

Current Tank Info: No tank at this time :(
jessp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2014, 09:16 AM   #30
OceanWolf
Registered Member

I have two pre drilled holes at the bottom of my overflow. One 1" and one 1/2". I want to use a Herbie method by using those two holes. The pump will be in the sump but since I will be using the second bulkhead, the return will be from the back of the tank over the rim.
I have a question, which of the pipes shall I use for the siphon 1/2 or 1? I read different views on that, I am inclined to use the small one for siphon.

Unread 10/29/2014, 03:21 PM   #31
Pbradford
Registered Member

I am going through the same dilemma right now with the same tank. I've been thinking about drilling out the 1/2" so that I'll have two 1" holes. One for the siphon and one for the emergency.

Also, I found this thread which you may find of some use (he drilled his tank for the Herbie system).

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/34527...-new-arrivals/

Have a good day! I'll be sure to follow your thread.

Pbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2014, 05:56 PM   #32
hydrahawk
Registered Member

Went to RAP this past weekend and picked up a 66 for a good price. I went with tank only. I will be building my own stand and having a sump made by AA to my spec. Can't wait to get it started.

Current Tank Info: 40B, 2x AI Sol, AquaC Remora, Large Aquafuge2, 2x MP 10ES
hydrahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2014, 07:00 PM   #33
socal619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrahawk View Post
Went to RAP this past weekend and picked up a 66 for a good price. I went with tank only. I will be building my own stand and having a sump made by AA to my spec. Can't wait to get it started.
Nice, how much you pick up the tank for? I was at RAP as well, checked out the SCA tanks looked legit.

socal619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2014, 07:45 PM   #34
OceanWolf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrahawk View Post
Cool. I wish I was closer.

Let us know how you will set it up.

Onur

Unread 11/01/2014, 08:31 PM   #35
wirewiggler
Registered Member

Well I pulled the trigger and picked up my 66 gal complete package as well. I think I will add some reinforcment to the stand to make it a little more earth quake resistant, and I will also add some PVC shower pan material to catch spills as well. I am going to see how bad the durso pipe sounds but will upgrade to a DC return pump. I will give their skimmer a try but will add a 4" filter sock to the sump. I am also putting full union ball valves and a check valve in. I will also put a tee in the return line and divert partial flow threw a reactor / carbon vessel.

Bill

wirewiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 09:26 PM   #36
OceanWolf
Registered Member

Glad you are now an SCA owner. The link that Pbradford provided is an amazing build. The owner of that tank enlarged the 1/2 hole to 1". I am not that brave to drill it myself and this thing is too heavy to get it down to the garage and drive to a glass shop.
I'll try the small one as main drain and the other as emergency.
I ordered new bulkheads. I also purchased an Eheim 1260. It has less flow, but I don't think I need a lot.

Unread 11/02/2014, 07:58 AM   #37
wirewiggler
Registered Member

I was wondering if their bulkheads were substantual enough as well. I read on onother post about someones's bulkheads cracking, not sure if they were from SC but they were made in China. My new light pendants are coming from Reefledlabs (preorder) and not due until end of november so I am in no hurry. I am going to order a Jeboa DC3000 they are only $90 they will give me adjustable flow and suposedly generate less heat. I am trying to lower my pump noise/power/heat footprint and plan to put a chiller coil in the sump instead of pumping threw one. My Redseamax 130 has so many pumps the chiller runs quite a bit.

Bill

Last edited by wirewiggler; 11/02/2014 at 08:06 AM.
Unread 11/02/2014, 11:46 AM   #38
OceanWolf
Registered Member

Since I am getting standard size bulkheads and not going to enlarge the holes, I thought of my stupid irrigation pipe which keeps ruptured constantly. The builders used thin wall PVCs for irrigation. That is OK user low pressure systems but not on my 60psi irrigation. On the other hand, it will be perfect for my Herbie helping to increase the emergency drain. Now I need to find where they sell that stuff

Unread 11/02/2014, 05:51 PM   #39
postie1686
Registered Member

Hey guys i guess ill jump in on here to! ordered my tank in september i could not beat his price on a 150 with that glass $800 shipped! such a sexy price! it got to me in 7 days and was packaged really well from others i have seen! equipment im using on mine is as follows

1. jebao dc12,000 return pump
2. 2 jager 250 watt heaters
3. aqua auto smart top off
4. red sea c-skim
5. maxspect razer 300w
6. 36w uv steraizer
7. BRS media reactors!
8. apex (yet to come)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.4 KB, 437 views)
postie1686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2014, 05:53 PM   #40
postie1686
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewiggler View Post
I was wondering if their bulkheads were substantual enough as well. I read on onother post about someones's bulkheads cracking, not sure if they were from SC but they were made in China. My new light pendants are coming from Reefledlabs (preorder) and not due until end of november so I am in no hurry. I am going to order a Jeboa DC3000 they are only $90 they will give me adjustable flow and suposedly generate less heat. I am trying to lower my pump noise/power/heat footprint and plan to put a chiller coil in the sump instead of pumping threw one. My Redseamax 130 has so many pumps the chiller runs quite a bit.

Bill
ive heard that some of the eshopps ones are cracking like they had a bad batch. my buddy cracked two the other week while we were setting up his new tank!

Unread 11/02/2014, 05:57 PM   #41
postie1686
Registered Member

start of the stand!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (47.6 KB, 404 views)
Unread 11/02/2014, 05:58 PM   #42
postie1686
Registered Member

stand finished

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.2 KB, 501 views)
Unread 11/02/2014, 05:59 PM   #43
postie1686
Registered Member

sump

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.7 KB, 445 views)
Unread 11/02/2014, 06:00 PM   #44
postie1686
Registered Member

rock work

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.1 KB, 370 views)
Unread 11/02/2014, 11:57 PM   #45
wirewiggler
Registered Member

Nice woodworking skills, my compliments. The rest is nice and sanitary as well. The 66 gal tank using the provided sump is space challanged underneath, I will probably hard glue the union ball valves and check valve but use silicone tubing to connect to the sump, this will allow some flexability in moving things around.

Bill

Unread 11/03/2014, 10:43 AM   #46
OceanWolf
Registered Member

Postie1686 - I suggest to enlarge your bulkhead holed before you move your tank. It looks amazing.

Unread 11/03/2014, 11:13 AM   #47
postie1686
Registered Member

The tank is in the house and has been cycling for a month now. No issues with the bulk heads at all. The single 1/2 return is more then enough as I'm not trying to use the return for flow! But even with my pump only half way up you can feel the movement at the other end of the tank. I've use durso drains forever with no issues and I make the out of 1 1/2 inch and neck it down to 1 inch right at the bulkhead. This makes them nice and quiet!

Unread 11/03/2014, 11:19 AM   #48
greaps
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postie1686 View Post
The tank is in the house and has been cycling for a month now. No issues with the bulk heads at all. The single 1/2 return is more then enough as I'm not trying to use the return for flow! But even with my pump only half way up you can feel the movement at the other end of the tank. I've use durso drains forever with no issues and I make the out of 1 1/2 inch and neck it down to 1 inch right at the bulkhead. This makes them nice and quiet!
Can you take a picture or explain that last part a little better? I'm following along as this will likely be my next tank, I'v drilled tanks before but would rather not.

greaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2014, 01:27 PM   #49
wirewiggler
Registered Member

I read, i think on Dorso's site to make them out of 1-1/2" and neck them down to 1" to make them quiet -thanks for the confirmation. Did you use the provided bulkheads?

Bill

Unread 11/03/2014, 01:30 PM   #50
postie1686
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewiggler View Post
I read, i think on Dorso's site to make them out of 1-1/2" and neck them down to 1" to make them quiet -thanks for the confirmation.

Bill
Yep works great! Just start out with a small hole for air intake and make it larger as needed.. 1/8" hole is as big as I've ever needed.