Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2017, 01:14 PM   #1
sappho
Registered Member

Cure Algae Scrubber on Vacation?

I've had trouble with nitrates for quite a long time so I put in an algae scrubber a couple weeks ago. I know it has a curing period but it has been slow going, it just turned green a few days ago. Thing is, in a week I have to leave for a few days to a week and I'm concerned that leaving the scrubber at this point could harm my tank? Currently the screen is green, but no strands or anything, with a few spots of dark brown (diatoms maybe?). My LFS said to leave the lights on 24 hrs while I was gone to prevent pH fluctuation. Is this right?

sappho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 05:49 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

To be honest -- anything not finished before vacations should be postponed --
No check on what's happening can be done and you know Murphy's Law.
A few days I might chance -- but not a week. JMHO

Unread 03/19/2017, 08:23 PM   #3
Devaji108
Registered Member

how about post a pic so we can see.
I am in the option to just leave it be let nature take it course. yes ATS do need a break in period.
I am sure you rough up the screen yes?
what lights are you using? how long?

on my upflow after the 1st cleaning I just let it be. check in around the 10 day mark i have nice turf growing.

that said I do see vinnys point about Murphy's law.

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 05:02 PM   #4
sappho
Registered Member

Unfortunately, I have never been able to get the photos to work on this sight . Right now its mostly green in color but no mossy or slimy texture. Its started to get really dark brown spots. Is this cause for concern? Should I scrub them off? Also it seems to be taking quite a long time to mature but I never really had hair algae in the tank.
I sanded my screen with some sandpaper I had around but it was pretty fine git. By the time I realized that I might need some more aggressive scratching it had already been going for a couple days. Given that many people have reported having faster breakin periods after replacing an ats I decided to let it finish then try and scratch it up a bit more later. I did sand the hell out of it but it seemed to only take the shine off the plastic.
I have a 23W daylight bulb that I run for 14hrs a day.
If this is a bad idea, what do I do? Clean it off and start over in a week?

sappho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 06:54 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

What? I don't get it.. The day before you leave just clean it off and put it right back into service..
Its not going to magically grow like a beanstalk and just engulf your tank or something in a few days to a week..

Just leave it running and enjoy your vacation.. Its totally fine..

Unread 03/21/2017, 06:59 AM   #6
LQT
Registered Member

If you're that concerned about it going rogue with growth while you're gone, you could always cut back on the ATS's lighting cycle or intensity (if dimmable) to slow down any growth concerns you may have. I wouldn't take it offline though as it does take time for an ATS to mature.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 12:15 PM   #7
wildman926
Registered Member

You will be fine, just let it do it's thing. At this stage of maturation of the screen, it will take a while to grow too much to do any harm.

This is what I get weekly, but my ATS is 3 years old. If you were at this stage, then yes, you would need to take action, such as lowering the light interval from 24 hours to 12, or something like that.

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2017, 09:43 PM   #8
reefer1970
Registered Member

If no leaks, let it go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefer1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 06:42 PM   #9
Vio
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappho View Post
I've had trouble with nitrates for quite a long time so I put in an algae scrubber a couple weeks ago. I know it has a curing period but it has been slow going, it just turned green a few days ago. Thing is, in a week I have to leave for a few days to a week and I'm concerned that leaving the scrubber at this point could harm my tank? Currently the screen is green, but no strands or anything, with a few spots of dark brown (diatoms maybe?). My LFS said to leave the lights on 24 hrs while I was gone to prevent pH fluctuation. Is this right?
"to prevent pH fluctuation" mean nothing. Just run 16 hrs. from 24, you go and enjoy your Vacation, worst coming the worst , you may have restriction on screen because of grow, nothing to be worry , i clean mine when i feel like, no specific time. I hope you got like 2 weeks Vacation.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1972 (640x480).jpg (41.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1973.jpg (43.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1974.jpg (39.5 KB, 19 views)
Vio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae scrubber, ats