Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/09/2017, 10:04 PM   #1
rompininphx
Registered Member

Maui Dive and Camera mode recommendations

I will be going to Maui in 2 months and will bring my gopro hero 3+ to shoot while diving. I have a tray mount, a red filter, anti-fog inserts, an extra battery and 64gb micro sd card.

1. Am I missing anything for diving?
2. What mode is best for diving? I saw someone mention on youtube that 30fps and 2.7k was best. What do you use?
3. What are the best dive sites for beginner divers where I can see sharks? I asked Lahaina divers about the Hammerhead dive and I dont have enough experience. Any other good spots for sharks in Maui? Any other recommendations for dive spots?

Thanks!

rompininphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 06:05 PM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

There will be black and white tip reef sharks on pretty much every dive you do. There certainly were on all that I went on. IMHO, skip the filter and adjust in post processing after the fact. Take more than one micro SD. They can fail, or just get filled up, and are so inexpensive anymore that it just does not make sense to run short.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 02:11 PM   #3
jrdonnellyjr1
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by rompininphx View Post
I will be going to Maui in 2 months and will bring my gopro hero 3+ to shoot while diving. I have a tray mount, a red filter, anti-fog inserts, an extra battery and 64gb micro sd card.

2. What mode is best for diving? I saw someone mention on youtube that 30fps and 2.7k was best. What do you use?
3. What are the best dive sites for beginner divers where I can see sharks? I asked Lahaina divers about the Hammerhead dive and I dont have enough experience. Any other good spots for sharks in Maui? Any other recommendations for dive spots?

Thanks!

Dive with Mike Severns diving very good outfit and the captain ,his name is Andy is a very good photographer.They usally do a Molokini dive and a near shore dive. http://www.mikesevernsdiving.com/

jrdonnellyjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 08:02 PM   #4
sam.basye
Registered Member

I'd add another battery to the list. GoPro batteries don't last very long and you can never have enough. I would bring 3 as a minimum. Use two and have an extra so you have at least one to use on short notice while charging the dead ones.

The sd card should be fine as long as you upload the content to a computer at the end of each day. That way you can reformat the card for each day's use and not worry about accidentally wiping it clean by hitting the wrong button or losing the card.

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 10:40 PM   #5
rompininphx
Registered Member

Thanks for the tips

Unread 03/21/2017, 09:39 AM   #6
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

I just went to Maui in November for some freediving. The stuff off the beaches can be pretty good, but by far the best snorkel spot I went to was malokini crater. Fantastic coral and fish there. I also went to the back side, which is less popular, but I think I enjoyed it even more. basically just a giant (400ft) rock wall with coral as far down as the sun will reach. It was sublime looking down 200+ feet and seeing no end to the ocean and coral, not to mention the thousands of fish.

For my go-pro, I used the stick holder thing to mount it to, but would be easier to get a snorkel mask that you can mount it to. they aren't much more expensive than a normal mask.

In the meantime, you can practice holding your breath to train your body to get the most out of your snorkel/diving. I also liked doing walks across my office to see how far I could walk on a single breath, rather than time you can hold your breath. That's more relevant since you'll be swimming while holding your breath. makes a world of difference IMO to train in advance if you're not used to it.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 09:35 PM   #7
rompininphx
Registered Member

That may be good for snorkeling, but Ill be scuba diving so Ill have air under water. Not supposed to hold your breath when scuba diving as it can cause lung damage.

Unread 03/22/2017, 12:21 AM   #8
WLachnit
Registered Member

When I get a chance, I can check my dive log, but both sides of Molokini are great depending on weather and wind. There are also some great beginner spots not too far from Kihei. (need to check my dive logs to remember the names)

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 09:08 PM   #9
jrdonnellyjr1
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLachnit View Post
When I get a chance, I can check my dive log, but both sides of Molokini are great depending on weather and wind. There are also some great beginner spots not too far from Kihei. (need to check my dive logs to remember the names)
Ulua is close to Kihei. Black rock is a good one close to Lahaina.

Unread 03/24/2017, 11:25 AM   #10
WLachnit
Registered Member

Yes, Black Rock is very easy and can be a shore dive. I have also done that dive spot as a night dive.

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 11:58 AM   #11
Brieninsac
Registered Member

We did the day trip to Lanai on Trilogy Excursions, which was excellent. We saw a lot of dolphins and whales. I used a red filter on my GoPro snorkeling and it was unnecessary. I don't know about diving.

Unread 04/12/2017, 10:38 AM   #12
jrdonnellyjr1
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieninsac View Post
We did the day trip to Lanai on Trilogy Excursions, which was excellent. We saw a lot of dolphins and whales. I used a red filter on my GoPro snorkeling and it was unnecessary. I don't know about diving.
There are a few companies that go to lanai'i to dive.

Unread 04/20/2017, 12:41 PM   #13
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Higher FPS vs Higher Resolution for better video and pictures taken from the video.

I like B&B scuba. They get out to molokini just as the sun is rising. Feeding time is best time to dive! First boat out.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 01:34 PM   #14
jrdonnellyjr1
Moved On

I like mike severns dive company

Unread 04/25/2017, 06:44 PM   #15
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdonnellyjr1 View Post
I like mike severns dive company
They're both great outfits. Probably the only two i'd dive with on Maui short of a private charter.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2017, 02:55 PM   #16
jrdonnellyjr1
Moved On

Ed robinson is a good dive company to we use to dive with ed robinson until we found Mike Severns

Unread 05/24/2017, 04:16 PM   #17
jrdonnellyjr1
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by rompininphx View Post

Thanks!
So,i'm curious how was your trip? What did you do? Where did you go? who did you dive with? tell me all about it.

Unread 05/25/2017, 04:50 PM   #18
starwind
Registered Member

better diving on the Big Island and Kauai I think
50 miles of peaceful leaward diving on the west side
Kohala divers up north and Big island divers in Kona

A few dive places on hilo side Nautalis divers is one

You can see the lava going to the ocean on hilo side alos
aloha

starwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2017, 08:00 AM   #19
jrdonnellyjr1
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwind View Post
better diving on the Big Island and Kauai I think
50 miles of peaceful leaward diving on the west side
Kohala divers up north and Big island divers in Kona

A few dive places on hilo side Nautalis divers is one

You can see the lava going to the ocean on hilo side alos
aloha
We usually go in the winter is the diving still good then?