Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/10/2017, 08:58 AM   #5451
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

Hello Ted

Somebody told me that Karen's (yours) missbarred Bandits are hybrids? A genetic test should told this? I thought Karen have only Genicanthus personatus and Apolomichtys arcuatus in this tank so hybrids can't be able?! You can say something about that?

Greetings Torben

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 05:58 AM   #5452
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Torben View Post
Hello Ted

Somebody told me that Karen's (yours) missbarred Bandits are hybrids? A genetic test should told this? I thought Karen have only Genicanthus personatus and Apolomichtys arcuatus in this tank so hybrids can't be able?! You can say something about that?

Greetings Torben

Any update here? Was curious to know if they are hybrids.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
caribfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 03:45 AM   #5453
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

I think the hybrid theory makes sense because never heard about a missbarred bandit before so why should there missbarred Bandits by Karen's ones.

Greetings Torben

Unread 05/26/2017, 04:54 PM   #5454
humaguy
Premium Member

Hey guys,

the ghost bandits are pure A arcuatus, not hybrids. The initial thought was, and has not been entirely ruled out, is that is was dietary or a cb related issue. Also discussed whether Leucism was involved. They are doing well and growing, will post some pics later. I just took some but didn't get any good ones of them. Will def be interesting to see them grow
This is from a month or so ago

Here is Jake's article on them.
Ghost Bandit Angelfish is a Captive Bred Miracle
Sept. 19, 2016

The Ghost Bandit angelfish is a spectacular new variant of Apolemichthys arcuatus that was recently captive bred by Karen Brittain. These striking new fish are part of a recent clutch of the glorious bandit angelfish which, for reasons that have yet to be explained or determined, decided to forgo the development of most or all of their namesake black stripe.

Without its signature black stripe across the body, you could be forgiven for thinking that these fish look more like baby masked angelfish, Genicanthus personatus, which Karen Brittain has also captive bred. However, without a black eye-stripe, the general body shape and that caudal fin edged in black, there’s no doubt that these are indeed bandit angelfish.
As if the bandit angelfish wasn’t illustrious enough on its own, along comes Karen Brittain to show us that this fish can get even more mythical. There’s no question that juvenile bandit angelfish are one of the most striking species of angelfish.

One of the things which makes masked angelfish so unique is that beautiful pearl white coloration which is now also being exhibited by another Hawaiian endemic. Interestingly, we have no records of the bandit angelfish ever being collected in the wild with this color pattern.
These fish are from a single batch that hatched on Dec. 5 2015. They went through metamorphosis between 45 and 55 days old and all looked like regular bandit angels at that point. Then a few lost their black coloring while the rest remained as normal looking bandits.
So in our minds the unusual color aberration of the ghost bandit angelfish must be due to some artifacts of captive breeding, and not genetically derived. Unfortunately, for all her experience captive breeding marine angelfish, raising the bandit angelfish remains a challenge for Karen Brittain and not every clutch is a success.

With the patchy success of raising bandit angelfish, and only a fraction of them developing the stripe-less variation, the Ghost Bandit angelfish is quite possibly one of the rarest marine angelfish in the world and the undisclosed price reflects this rarity. And a virtual round of applause goes to Leighton Lum for creating such wonderful photographs to illustrate this fish in its full glory.

This is from his article about a month later
The Ghost Bandit Angelfish was an unexpected, captive bred surprise. It’s impressive enough that Karen Brittain was able to breed this revered species in captivity, but raising a few stripeless individuals out of the batch also gave us a very interesting fish to consider.

The Ghost Bandit Angelfish was born in Hawaii, and several specimens made their way to rare fish collectors in Japan. But it was just our luck that one specimen was shipped east to our home town of Denver Colorado where we arranged a play date between the Ghost Bandit Angelfish and our camera.

The shop currently features a tank dedicated to gem tangs, and another one with half a dozen of Brittain’s captive bred personatus angelfish, and it’s in this display where we caught sight of one of the very few Ghost Bandit Angelfish alive in the world.
The bold diagonal black stripe of juvenile bandit angelfish is objectively what makes them such a striking fish. But when you’re expecting the fish to have a stripe and it doesn’t, well that’s equally surprising.

In the Ghost Bandit Angelfish the signature black band is reduced to a tiny patch behind the eye, and the black edge of the anal and caudal fin is also reduced. The Ghost Bandit Angelfish is not all white though, as the upper half of the body is still showing the light cream-grey coloration of a normal Apolemichthys arcuatus.

All of the Ghost Bandit Angelfish are still pretty small, barely scratching two inches long. It’s between this size and about four inches that a normal bandit angelfish undergoes the biggest transformation to its appearance from juvenile to adult coloration.

It will be very interesting to observe the development of the Ghost Bandit Angelfish’s coloration and especially to see the transition from the white belly to the grey back without to a black stripe to divide these areas. We’ll be sure to do our part to document the Mile High Ghost Bandit as it develops and in the meantime, kudos to Karen Brittain for breeding such a unique fish and to Stone Aquatics for hosting one of the very few examples of this rare morph.

I love these fish, not the prettiest as an adult, but such great personalities.

Eating Larry's like a champ

there is nothing like a R trig

Received these guys almost exactly 3 years ago, they were 85 days old then.

The R hybrid/new sp? This came 1 year ago, last weekend. He has gotten big, around 5 inches, from 2.25.

the x trig.

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 05:52 PM   #5455
JamesHolt
Registered Member

I want the X-Trig......and the hybrid...
Hybrid has some snazzy stripes

Current Tank Info: 29g with 2 Engineer gobies
JamesHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2017, 12:30 PM   #5456
humaguy
Premium Member

I really need to clean the tank

Karen named this one "Dash"

and this one "Casper"

Syd's flames are getting big. Somebody asked about them recently. As of a couple weeks ago, there were a few left from his last batch. He had some poor weather that slowed production, but luckily he will have more in july.

Hard to get all 6 at once

Unread 05/28/2017, 03:01 PM   #5457
JamesHolt
Registered Member

Dash and Casper are perfect names for that two..
How big is that tank??
Do you have any fighting among the Flames??

Unread 05/29/2017, 10:53 AM   #5458
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHolt View Post
Dash and Casper are perfect names for that two..
How big is that tank??
Do you have any fighting among the Flames??
hey jim,
agree, the names are perfect.
they are in the 250 qt
lol, the flames are always moving, are totally insane, and look as if they are up to something, and I'm never really quite sure exactly just what that something is. one recently bounced off the side of the trigger as it was spinning in circles chasing its tail, the trig, though totally startled, wasn't sure how to react, funny to see. will get video of the at some point soon. tk

Unread 05/29/2017, 03:52 PM   #5459
JamesHolt
Registered Member

Thanks, that sounds just like the flame that I had , little one-eyed bugger was all over the tank, no telling where he would pop out... Hated losing him during my move...
Getting ready to set my 180 back up, going to have to try a group of flames...

Unread 06/24/2017, 06:44 PM   #5460
humaguy
Premium Member

cb flames, cb ghost bandits, and the x trig, and a dirty tank

Last edited by humaguy; 06/24/2017 at 06:53 PM.
Unread 06/24/2017, 06:58 PM   #5461
JamesHolt
Registered Member

Nice

Unread 06/24/2017, 10:15 PM   #5462
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humaguy View Post

Yes I agree that's a dirty tank Ted and as a penalty you'll need to ship directly to me one of the bandits, one of the flames or both. I, however will pay for shipping since making you do that too is overkill in my opinion

Obladi Oblada, life goes on Brah!

Current Tank Info: Tankless in TX and watching from the sidelines
dodgerblew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2017, 02:08 PM   #5463
RouDaiLLe
Registered Member

Hello

The X trig looks also like a small Canthidermis Macrolepis. Where does it come from?

Regards

RouDaiLLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2017, 10:16 AM   #5464
humaguy
Premium Member

Still getting big and it is great to see his crown really losing the black and going orange. Moving things around is imho, one of the worst things we can do to mess things up, and moving the gp to the dt, really bothered him. It took him around 6 months to really feel comfortable in the dt and his transitioning almost stopped.

an ugly picture of a soso looking fish, lol..

these are really great fish to keep, the male

this one is still growing and has really gotten big over the last 14 months, was 2.5 now around 5.5 inches. I tried to put the lunula in and he would not have it. My lunula is a bit goofy and was really getting harassed so I removed him. I then added the assasi who is much smaller than the lunula and is a more aggressive fish than the lunula. The hybrid still bothered the assasi but the assasi was savvy enough to hide and nip the hybrid only when he could get away with it, lol. I was lucky to get this picture, with the assasi in the background.

lol, this fish is still refusing to cooperate with any real adult coloration at this point. With the streamers must be close to 12-13 inches, still a very skittish fish.

Unread 07/13/2017, 10:22 AM   #5465
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RouDaiLLe View Post
Hello

The X trig looks also like a small Canthidermis Macrolepis. Where does it come from?

Regards
wrong body type for C mac.

came from Scarborough Shoal, and was collected with adult goldenbacks, lol, which may or may not mean anything!

Unread 07/13/2017, 03:24 PM   #5466
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

Fantastic Ted!

My male jaculator died after 6 weeks in quarantine. Was fat and healthy. Bought a new one. In this moment Dejong have a few in stock. The first ones than more than a year! In Europe jaculator is not easy to buy...

Hope my new pair will made it.

Waiting for tiny conspicillatus. Dejong only have adult ones in the last years. Just one tiny but double price so I had to say no with tears in my eyes.

Greetings

Greetings Torben

Unread 07/13/2017, 04:08 PM   #5467
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Hey there Ted !!

hedgedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2017, 09:39 AM   #5468
Scotch_c
Registered Member

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/YWH9J7hc4_0?ecver=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotch_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2017, 06:23 PM   #5469
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Fantastic Ted!

My male jaculator died after 6 weeks in quarantine. Was fat and healthy. Bought a new one. In this moment Dejong have a few in stock. The first ones than more than a year! In Europe jaculator is not easy to buy...

Hope my new pair will made it.

Waiting for tiny conspicillatus. Dejong only have adult ones in the last years. Just one tiny but double price so I had to say no with tears in my eyes.

Greetings

Greetings Torben

Hey bud,

Thanks! Good luck with the new jocs, any idea what went wrong with the other? A huge bummer that the baby conspics rarely get shipped to any place other than Asia. Hopefully Wen starts kicking them out soon.

Hope all is well with you!

Ted

Unread 07/15/2017, 06:24 PM   #5470
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgedrew View Post
Hey there Ted !!
Hey Andrew,

How is the monster coming along?
You around this summer?
If so, let's catch up.

Ted

Unread 07/15/2017, 08:30 PM   #5471
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Just back from Europe. I'm around now rest of summer. Maybe I'll meet you st one of fish stores by you. Tank is almost done. Waiting for electrical panels and computer code for automation to be finished.

Unread 07/16/2017, 11:26 AM   #5472
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey bud,

Thanks! Good luck with the new jocs, any idea what went wrong with the other? A huge bummer that the baby conspics rarely get shipped to any place other than Asia. Hopefully Wen starts kicking them out soon.

Hope all is well with you!

Ted
Thanks Ted everything is fine.

No idea with the jaculator. No treatment before dieing. No Velvet no Cryptocaryon. If something is wrong with the fish they often died after 3 weeks. After that time they normally are stabil.

Yes I also waiting for Wen. An other problem is that I sold one of my two Clarion. I would buy a small because Dejong have Wen's tiny always in stock. But at my last visit at Dejong clarionensis sold out and no new ones will arrive because for import clarionensis Dejong need cities now. In this moment noch Chance for a baby Clarion

Greetings Torben

Unread 07/16/2017, 07:29 PM   #5473
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgedrew View Post
Just back from Europe. I'm around now rest of summer. Maybe I'll meet you st one of fish stores by you. Tank is almost done. Waiting for electrical panels and computer code for automation to be finished.
Excellent!
You looking for any fish for the tank?

Let's talk soon..

Unread 07/16/2017, 07:30 PM   #5474
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks Ted everything is fine.

No idea with the jaculator. No treatment before dieing. No Velvet no Cryptocaryon. If something is wrong with the fish they often died after 3 weeks. After that time they normally are stabil.

Yes I also waiting for Wen. An other problem is that I sold one of my two Clarion. I would buy a small because Dejong have Wen's tiny always in stock. But at my last visit at Dejong clarionensis sold out and no new ones will arrive because for import clarionensis Dejong need cities now. In this moment noch Chance for a baby Clarion

Greetings Torben

I miss having baby clarions!

Unread 07/17/2017, 07:02 AM   #5475
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Other than a school of ballina angels, too early to think about.