Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/09/2017, 01:09 PM   #426
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojos22 View Post
Is the water cloudy? Maybe a bacteria bloom? Do you do any carbon dosing in the main tank but not the others?

Water isn't cloudy. It's been this way from the beginning, whole system is carbon dosed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2017, 01:11 PM   #427
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx View Post
+1 to post above. Is it small particles or is it just cloudy/milky?

Sorry, could've been more descriptive. Small particles. For awhile we even thought micro air bubbles, but leaning more toward solid particles. I don't understand why none of the other tanks in the setup are affected. I'm strongly leaning towards it being our overflow not capturing the particles. Moving the return heads tonight to aim in a different direction to see if it helps at all.

I see others tanks and it reminds me how clear ours isn't, need to get to bottom of it.

Unread 10/09/2017, 01:17 PM   #428
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

Our desi sailfin is in QT and stopped eating today. No meds were added that would suppress her appetite. She was an absolute eating machine prior to today. She's breathing heavier as well. Doing a tank transfer a day early when I get home in 2 hours. Ammonia isn't high, and salinity and temp are norm. Nothing out of the ordinary that I can find. Hoping the transfer will help matters. There's 7 in QT together, the others are acting fine besides the sailfin. Say a little prayer this girl just needs some fresh new water and new tank! Tomorrow would be the last day of TTM, but we'll do one more to complete the cycle being we are a day early.

They all went through freshwater dip after the first transfer and did wonderfully, this is the first sign of any struggle I've seen.

I was planning to do a formalin dip during tomorrow's transfer, but will hold off now due to her being "under the weather". After she starts eating again (hopefully!) we will do a formalin dip, split the 7 into 2 tanks (TTM will be done) and then dose prazipro into each QT. I didn't do prazipro with this group during TTM, was planning on doing it after during observation. We'll see how it goes!!

Wondering if I should do another freshwater dip between transfers today, or just let her be and do it when she's a bit stronger possibly?

Unread 10/09/2017, 03:24 PM   #429
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Update!! New tank and she's eating right away! Breathing seems to have slowed slightly. But watching it closely. Excited to see her eating!

Unread 10/10/2017, 07:57 AM   #430
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Desi sailfin is still eating! Glad we reacted so quickly and got her into the new QT tank. It did add another transfer to our TTM but that's ok, I see one spec of ich on the angels fin, so another round can't hurt! If it doesn't go away this round, we'll be doing an entire new cycle of TTM.

Unread 10/10/2017, 01:55 PM   #431
iced98lx
Registered Member

I think it's time for an updated FTS of the DT...

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2017, 02:32 PM   #432
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
I think it's time for an updated FTS of the DT...

You are correct! Long overdue. Ignore the dirty on too and bottom, haven't deep cleaned lately.

Sorry for the crappy quality pics, they definitely don't do it justice. SPS are starting to slowing color up! So exciting to finally (hopefully...) transition from boring, drab brown/tan SPS.

Unread 10/10/2017, 02:33 PM   #433
MrsReefK
Registered Member

I'll take better pics at nighttime to get the reflection off the front, I don't have curtains on the windows across the room.

Unread 10/11/2017, 11:30 AM   #434
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Last transfer tomorrow! Woot woot! Looks like off of this last transfer the angel is showing no signs of the white spec on its fin, hoping this final transfer solidifies that!

Tomorrow upon transferring they'll go into one tank together, then when their current dries, we'll split them up into the 2 for prazipro treatment, prior to going into their final QT tanks, formalin dips first. Possibly another freshwater just for safe measures. Then observation. I can't WAIT for these guys to get into the DT.

Next issue, catching my clowns in the DT, any good fish trap diy or ones I can purchase to recommend? I'm going to put them in my frag tank when we catch them, we have 3 bi color bubble tip nems in QT now, we will put 2 in the frag tank with the pair from current DT and then our 2 new in the DT with 1 nem. Reason for the switch, I like the 2 new clowns looks better is all.

Unread 10/12/2017, 02:00 PM   #435
sdweller
Registered Member

What an amazing room and of course aquarium . Do you ever use the bar ?
Great family room !

sdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 04:57 PM   #436
MrsReefK
Registered Member

FTS at night. Sorry for the blues, I see my 2nd to left Radion may need updated or re synced, its off in color, to the naked eye it's not this obvious until I saw it in the pics!

Last edited by MrsReefK; 10/13/2017 at 05:40 AM.
Unread 10/12/2017, 04:59 PM   #437
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdweller View Post
What an amazing room and of course aquarium . Do you ever use the bar ?
Great family room !

Thank you!! Appreciate the compliments! We use the bar, we brew our own beers and hard ciders. We probably use the bar too often. Haha

Unread 10/13/2017, 07:20 AM   #438
MrsReefK
Registered Member

It's a sad day in our house. Ms Lilly is joining kitty heaven this afternoon. Cancer has taken over and its her time to be at peace. It's been a great 10.5 years since we rescued her, wish we had another 10.5 to be together.

Unread 10/13/2017, 09:00 AM   #439
iced98lx
Registered Member

Sorry for your loss, always difficult, she looks like a pretty lady.

Your tank is looking good, I think the scape is very nice and is really looking good as things grow in.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2017, 12:40 PM   #440
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

Quote:

Your tank is looking good, I think the scape is very nice and is really looking good as things grow in.
Could not have put it any better.

Unread 10/15/2017, 03:35 PM   #441
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:

Thanks buddy. It's hard, our other cat is wondering what's going on. It'll get easier with time.

Getting a new frag pack next month or December (when these fish are done with QT). Excited for this frag pack, they'll be higher end versus the easier that we have now.

Unread 10/15/2017, 03:35 PM   #442
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Music View Post
Could not have put it any better.

Thank you

Unread 10/17/2017, 07:00 PM   #443
MrsReefK
Registered Member

First pic, Jan 1, 2017. Second pic, Thursday last week. I know the coloring sucks because I didn't change the lights to white, but you get the idea.

Unread 10/17/2017, 07:02 PM   #444
MrsReefK
Registered Member

First pic, Jan 1, 2017. 2nd pic, last week Thursday, sometimes when you don't think you have growth, pull up some old shots!

Unread 10/18/2017, 06:45 AM   #445
McPuff
Registered Member

Looks great!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2017, 03:22 PM   #446
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Man. This debris in the water is killing me. Moved the return lines to face more towards the sides. Doesn't seem to have made an impact. Blew off the rocks, didn't make an impact after that debris cleared out. I'm at a loss of what's going on. I want crystal clear water!!

It's not sand. You can't see sand getting "picked up" anywhere, our powerheads are pretty high.

Frag tank, sump, fuge, cryptic fuge are all crystal clear!

Unread 10/18/2017, 07:12 PM   #447
dave.m
Registered Member

Crystal clear water is freakishly unnatural. Go with the gumbo.

If it gets really bad you may have to go with filter socks for a while. Make sure your inside pumps aren't fighting with your overflows so that the crud is getting lifted out properly.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2017, 07:50 PM   #448
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Crystal clear water is freakishly unnatural. Go with the gumbo.

If it gets really bad you may have to go with filter socks for a while. Make sure your inside pumps aren't fighting with your overflows so that the crud is getting lifted out properly.

Dave.M

Haha. So maybe crystal was the wrong wording, haha.

You mean my powerheads? Make sure they're not interfering? Maybe I'll try lowering the MP60's a bit and see if it clears at all the next couple of days. I did raise them awhile back to get more flow for the SPS, but could've have a reverse effect and make the debris worse.

I didn't put that together until now - thanks for helping me get to that conclusion and remembering I adjusted. Although I thought it was only 5-7%, I'll double check tomorrow.

Unread 11/07/2017, 01:31 PM   #449
MrsReefK
Registered Member

New fish are in the DT after QT. Tomini and the established powder brown got along right from the get go. The others.. the powder brown is showing aggression to, mainly the desi sailfin and blue hippo.

We're using the mirror method to lower aggression and it was working. I added large pictures of a sailfin to the outside of the tank and they worked instantly, lowering the powder browns aggression to very minimal.

Everyone else is doing great and settled right in! Caught one clown, need to catch the second to move to the frag tank with the bi color BTA. Once caught, I can move the remaining pair from QT into DT.

Pic shows the mirror and pictures. The SPS on the other side of the mirror were starting to look really ticked off. Possibly the mirror reflecting too much light onto them. Lowered the light intensity and it's seeming to help.

Have a bit of algae coming in that we haven't had in the past. Source of that is definitely the feeding. I'm feeding heavily while the tangs get everything figured out.

This is confirmation for me that this will be the last of the tangs we'll be adding. Fish in the future will be peaceful that can cohabit with the tangs nicely.

The blue hippo was a bit skinny when we got her, she really beefed up in QT and is fat and healthy!

Currently giving 2 sheets of nori a day, could likely be 3, but I'll stick with the 2 for a bit to see how it goes.

Unread 11/08/2017, 07:00 AM   #450
McPuff
Registered Member

What type of nori are you feeding? I have fed the Fish store type and now I'm using the Yaki sushi nori. I got the lower quality kind in hopes that it would not be as soft. Still, it breaks apart pretty easily. Wondering if there is a type that is less prone to breakage or if it's just something I have to deal with. Not a big deal, just means I have to change the filter socks more often (like daily).

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote