Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09/16/2017, 01:29 AM   #276
Wally.B
Registered Member

Summary of my ICH Research (my Interpretation):

0)-ICH is a big problem in the Fish Industry and if there was easy cure the inventor would be instant multi-Millionare (Nobody have become an Instant Millionaire Yet)
1a)- Most Fish have ICH because all suppliers have some fish with ICH
1b)- A fish can host ICH parasite, but not show signs (Could be in Gills)
2)- ICH is controlled (hide ICH) by Fish Stores by having some Copper in their Fish System (doesn't mean that some fish don't have ICH)
3)- Tank Transfer Method works. All fish have to be removed from tank, and Tank has to go through Fallow to rid of Tank of ICH before putting fish back.
4a)- Copper Treatments work (but can be deadly)
4b)- Hydrogen Peroxide helps fish relieve symptom of ich, thus helps fish fight off ich, but H.P. doesn't cure ICH.
5)- Scaled and Thick Skinned Fish resist ICH better than Thin Skin Fish
6a)- Products like Polyp Lab Medic don't claim to get rid of ICH it's just control like (2)
6b)- There are post, videos with people using Medic but they most end as dead ends with no confirmation of success (A year later)
7)- Some fish can fight off ICH but tank may still have it (it never show up)
8)- A stressed Fish or Fish with lowered Immune system can all of a sudden ICH
9)- Even if you QT fish and treat them, and you don't QT Corals, Coral can introduce ICH
10)-Adjacent tanks like mine (with mist in the air) can transfer ICH between each other
11a)-A eating fish, can resist ICH better and possibly fight off ICH
11b)-Pellets like Ich Guard can help the fish to fight ICH off, but no guarantee. It just helps.

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2017, 09:21 AM   #277
BlackburnD
Registered Member

Ok, so currently I don't have an aquarium. I have been planning to get back into this after being away for 10 years, but all my reading lately has me qustioning it.

ICH.... So you start up a new tank with sand and rock, it cycles, and then I have wait 72 Days until I can introduce ANYTHING (corals, fish, inverts) new into the tank. Each and every fish should be put into a QT tank and observed for 4 weeks. If ich appears at which point am I suppose to transfer to yet another QT for this transfer method to be effective? How many times am I transfering and changing fresh water while merely quessing what stage the ICH is in and if it is just going with the fish from tank to tank? Is the plan to to have a fish in QT ich symptom free for 72 days?

But wait there's more! I also have to QT each and every since coral I wish to put in my tank which means I need yet at least one more tank with good lighting for the purpose of coral QT. If I want to QT more than one they have to go in at same time, or start the timer over. How long is this waiting period? My guess would be 72 days.....

Who in the world has time, money, and space for this? I am counting at least 4 completely separate system tanks up and running for this. I assume each would need to be around 3 gallons each.

Am I crazy?

Please correct anything I stated incorrectly here.

BlackburnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2017, 09:06 PM   #278
MLOPEZ
Registered Member

This product didn't work for me and I used it for 25 days .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLOPEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2017, 10:58 PM   #279
titaniumauto
Registered Member

anyone treat achilles tang with cupramine without the fish dying ?

titaniumauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2017, 10:59 PM   #280
titaniumauto
Registered Member

my achilles is in hypo and it is not working .. im on day 8 and it just keeps worse

titaniumauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2017, 12:58 AM   #281
Jose Mayo
Registered Member

Just to inform, there is a new treatment for Cryptocaryon irritans being developed for aquaculture ... it seems able to eradicate the parasite in the fish at 100% without harm to the fish. Follow the link:

Antiparasitic effect of dietary Romet®30 (SDMX–OMP) against ciliate Cryptocaryon irritans infection in the red sea bream Pagrus majorand tiger puffer Takifugu rubripes

"Highlights
► Romet®30 is Sulfadimethoxine–Ormetoprim (SDMX–OMP) combination. ► In-feed Romet®30 had a therapeutic effect against C. irritans infection. ► The suitable dose of Romet®30 was 50 mg/kg BW/day. ► The suitable duration of administration was 14 consecutive days. ► This dosing condition of Romet®30 was practically useful for aquaculture."

Sulfadimethoxine-Ormetoprim (SDMX-OMP) is a broad-spectrum microbicide chemotherapeutic agent, widely used in the treatment of dogs and cats, now fish ... has the potential to alter the biological filter if used directly in DT. Its possible safe use can be conveyed in food at the doses recommended in this work.

There is no recognized experience, which I have found, of safe use in reef tanks. but I thought it might serve, at first, to treat quarantined fish and ensure they do not carry parasites into the aquarium.

This is the data sheet of the aquaculture specific formula in English: ROMET® 30

Best regards

Jose Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2017, 01:01 AM   #282
Jose Mayo
Registered Member

Links:

Antiparasitic effect of dietary Romet®30 (SDMX–OMP) against ciliate Cryptocaryon irritans infection in the red sea bream Pagrus majorand tiger puffer Takifugu rubripes

This is the data sheet of the aquaculture specific formula in English: ROMET® 30

Jose Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote