Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/07/2017, 03:11 PM   #1
moneymm
Registered Member

Setting up a quarantine for multiple incoming fish

So I want to add 4 fish, I would definitively plan on adding them in stages to the DT b/c of their aggression levels, however, I would like to buy and quarantine them all together at the same time. does this make sense?

I would just need to divide them I would assume a firefish, 2 wrasses, and a flame angel.

wouldnt that make the most sense to bring them all in at the same time this way if one of them as a parasite or something i can just treat them all at the same time, and after a few weeks of all being healthy and eating, i can add 1 at a time each week to the DT?

I have some bio balls that have been in my sump for a good year, im assuming a few of these in a 10 gallon tank with alot of water changes, and i should be good right? or should i setup a second 10 gallon tank? since i have 2.

how should i divide them up?

Phantom Clown, Ocellaris Cown, 10 Snails, 4 Hermit Crabs
moneymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 03:34 PM   #2
allendehl
Registered Member

If you have the option of having 2 tanks I think that is a better and safer approach regardless. Not saying one wouldn't work, I'll leave that to the experts since that would largely depend on the particular fish and I don't know much about them yet.
Now, what I do know is that flame angels are kind of delicate. I had two die on me during the first couple of days of TTM (one died, got a replacement and that one died as well)
If you still go with the one tank, make sure you have Prime on hand, an ammonia badge to keep an eye on the ammonia and good aeration.

Good Luck!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 08:24 PM   #3
jaking
Registered Member

I am thinking of doing the same thing as I have only one QT tank.

jaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 01:46 PM   #4
Hal
Registered Member

I think your plan is fine. I routinely order several fish, usually to get my total order to receive free shipping, and then quarantine them all at once. So it's fine to quarantine multiple fish in the same tank.

Having said that, having multiple fish in the same QT means that if one gets sick, (1) the sick fish may transmit it to the other fish, and (2) you'll have to treat all the fish in that tank, even if they are not sick. For this reason, it's best to divide the fish into as many tanks as you have. Of course, you may decide not to do this because you don't want to maintain 10 quarantine tanks. But since you have two, use two.

Divide the fish up based on aggression level and bioload. I assume that all fish are ultimately suitable for a community DT, so I'd use bioload over aggressiveness for how to divide. Alternately, you can put the more aggressive fish in one and less aggressive fish in the other.

As far as adding them one at a time to the DT, I wouldn't bother unless you are worried that it will cause a huge increase in bioload and cause a new mini tank cycle. The advantage to adding them all at once is that it distributes the aggression from existing fish amongst all the new fish. It's also less work for you in maintaining the QT's. But I still strongly recommend an acclimation tank for 3-4 days in the DT to reduce aggression.

Yes, the bio balls will be a good base for the QT bacterial colony. How many bio balls will determine how much bioload the QT's can handle. I always keep a few pounds of live rock in my sump that I grab for new QT's.

Also, don't forget to get adequate flow in your QT. I found that as I upped the flow in mine, I had fewer fish problems. Especially so with tangs who like to swim.

Current Tank Info: 250g starphire: 72x28x30, BeanAnimal drain with an oversized non-durso emergency drain, 4 inch DSB, 3x Reefbreeders Value LED fixtures, SWC/MSX 300A skimmer, Geo kalk reactor, 3 Vortechs w/bb, carbon reactor, and a RKL
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 01:51 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I routinely QT groups of fish acquired at the same time - particularly if from the same source (thus likely to already share any potential parasites). Since they all end up in the same display, it's also a good way to socialize them in a controlled environment.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 02:50 PM   #6
WLachnit
Registered Member

I also QT fish in groups. My QT regimen is as follow: TTM, Prazi on the 2nd and 4th transfers. I will also use an antibiotic on the 1st and 3rd Transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 03:06 PM   #7
JTL
Registered Member

I just did something similar with 3 fish, a wrasse, midas blenny and and firefish. The wrasse and the blenny were on the large side of "medium". I bought two 30 gallon tubs from a local Dollar General for about $10 each. I did used the ttm and did prazipro on transfer 2 and 4 and I also did a formalin dip at the end. I did not put them into a qt but instead they went directly into the dt. I figured I observed them enough during the ttm.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 04:29 PM   #8
moneymm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
I think your plan is fine. I routinely order several fish, usually to get my total order to receive free shipping, and then quarantine them all at once. So it's fine to quarantine multiple fish in the same tank.

Having said that, having multiple fish in the same QT means that if one gets sick, (1) the sick fish may transmit it to the other fish, and (2) you'll have to treat all the fish in that tank, even if they are not sick. For this reason, it's best to divide the fish into as many tanks as you have. Of course, you may decide not to do this because you don't want to maintain 10 quarantine tanks. But since you have two, use two.

Divide the fish up based on aggression level and bioload. I assume that all fish are ultimately suitable for a community DT, so I'd use bioload over aggressiveness for how to divide. Alternately, you can put the more aggressive fish in one and less aggressive fish in the other.

As far as adding them one at a time to the DT, I wouldn't bother unless you are worried that it will cause a huge increase in bioload and cause a new mini tank cycle. The advantage to adding them all at once is that it distributes the aggression from existing fish amongst all the new fish. It's also less work for you in maintaining the QT's. But I still strongly recommend an acclimation tank for 3-4 days in the DT to reduce aggression.

Yes, the bio balls will be a good base for the QT bacterial colony. How many bio balls will determine how much bioload the QT's can handle. I always keep a few pounds of live rock in my sump that I grab for new QT's.

Also, don't forget to get adequate flow in your QT. I found that as I upped the flow in mine, I had fewer fish problems. Especially so with tangs who like to swim.
thanks, not sure what an acclimation tank is, i will def look into it.

Unread 12/08/2017, 04:30 PM   #9
moneymm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLachnit View Post
I also QT fish in groups. My QT regimen is as follow: TTM, Prazi on the 2nd and 4th transfers. I will also use an antibiotic on the 1st and 3rd Transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
even if you dont see any problems?

Unread 12/08/2017, 04:32 PM   #10
moneymm
Registered Member

well if i do the TTM, i will need to use both my 10 gallon tanks, is 10 gallons too small for 4 fish? 2 wrasses, firefish, and unsure of 4th fish.

Unread 12/08/2017, 04:39 PM   #11
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymm View Post
well if i do the TTM, i will need to use both my 10 gallon tanks, is 10 gallons too small for 4 fish? 2 wrasses, firefish, and unsure of 4th fish.
I did it with 4 small fish and it went well (2 clowns + 2 chromis). That will depend much on the size (bioload). In any case keep an eye on the ammonia with an ammonia badge and have Prime on hand in case it gets high.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 04:45 PM   #12
JTL
Registered Member

Quote:
I say not because while you could possibly get by it would require a lot of water monitoring and changes not to mention the stress on the fish. Just go and buy a couple of cheap tubs and make it easier.

Unread 12/08/2017, 05:05 PM   #13
Hal
Registered Member

Quote:
Sometimes it's also called an isolation tank. In short, it's a plastic critter cage hanging in your DT. Water flows back and forth between it and the DT, and fish in the critter cage are visible to the fish in the DT. However, the fish in the DT cannot touch the new fish in the critter cage. After a few days, the fish in the DT figure this out and leave the newbies alone. Then when you finally release the newbies into the DT, they are already a known quantity for the older fish in the DT, and the older fish tend to continue ignoring the new fish.

Current Tank Info: 250g starphire: 72x28x30, BeanAnimal drain with an oversized non-durso emergency drain, 4 inch DSB, 3x Reefbreeders Value LED fixtures, SWC/MSX 300A skimmer, Geo kalk reactor, 3 Vortechs w/bb, carbon reactor, and a RKL
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 10:59 PM   #14
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
More commonly referred to as an acclimation box or even a socialization box. It's a useful, though not foolproof, way of judging the level of aggression a new fish will receive from the current residents.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 11:54 AM   #15
Sk8r
RC Mod

Jump precaution for the firefish---they go airborne real easily.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 11:56 AM   #16
JTL
Registered Member

^ indeed they do, lid is required.

Unread 12/10/2017, 01:17 PM   #17
WLachnit
Registered Member

Quote:
even if you dont see any problems?

Depends on the source of the fish. I currently have a Bipartitus Leopard in TTM and not using anything else.

If the source is a bit more questionable, then I do use Prazi and antibiotics prophylactically. I’m a bit paranoid and have been burned before and had to tear down my 300g reef....wont go through that pain again. Some think I’m too paranoid.

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote