Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 12/06/2017, 07:00 AM   #1
fishkeeprian
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: England, Earl Shilton
Posts: 791
eshopp Large overflow

In the box with the overflow, there are 4 gaskets and the instructions are not clear where would these go?


fishkeeprian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 09:10 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12,967
Which overflow specifically?

Its probably one on each side of the glass between the overflow boxes assuming you have the "L" overflow box and you are talking about the ones that are sized for the 2 bulkheads that go between each box...


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 09:45 AM   #3
fishkeeprian
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: England, Earl Shilton
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Which overflow specifically?

Its probably one on each side of the glass between the overflow boxes assuming you have the "L" overflow box and you are talking about the ones that are sized for the 2 bulkheads that go between each box...
its the one with the three drains.


fishkeeprian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 10:35 AM   #4
Knighthawk
Registered Member
 
Knighthawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 126
This is the order. Bulkhead, gasket, glass, gasket, external over flow box.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Knighthawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 10:52 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighthawk View Post
This is the order. Bulkhead, gasket, glass, gasket, external over flow box.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That will also work.. same..same..


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 11:16 AM   #6
Knighthawk
Registered Member
 
Knighthawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
That will also work.. same..same..





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Knighthawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 12:31 PM   #7
fishkeeprian
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: England, Earl Shilton
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighthawk View Post
This is the order. Bulkhead, gasket, glass, gasket, external over flow box.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watched a video online and farm boy reef installed it with black weir to glass and the two gaskets on each bulkhead in side the overflow box then the nut?


fishkeeprian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 12:34 PM   #8
Knighthawk
Registered Member
 
Knighthawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 126
Good luck with that setup! What’s stopping the water from leaking out of the tank?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Knighthawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 12:52 PM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeprian View Post
Watched a video online and farm boy reef installed it with black weir to glass and the two gaskets on each bulkhead in side the overflow box then the nut?
yep.. that is incorrect..


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 01:03 PM   #10
fishkeeprian
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: England, Earl Shilton
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
yep.. that is incorrect..
OK thanks now they guy who drilled my tank siliconed the black weir to the tank even tho I told him not to. There is no way of getting it off without breaking the weir box, can I put a gasket to glass at the back and the overflow box then gasket then nut or is that no good?


fishkeeprian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 01:12 PM   #11
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12,967
If I understand your situation..

If the internal box is siliconed to the back wall then you simply put the gaskets under the flange of the bulkhead inside the internal overflow box.. then the other gasket would go between the external box and the outside surface of the glass..

So its


flange... gasket..internal box wall.. silicone..tank glass... gasket.. external box wall.. nut

and you must sing that over and over while standing on one leg, rubbing your belly in a circle with one hand and tapping on your head with the other..

fa la la la la... la la la la


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 01:27 PM   #12
fishkeeprian
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: England, Earl Shilton
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
If I understand your situation..

If the internal box is siliconed to the back wall then you simply put the gaskets under the flange of the bulkhead inside the internal overflow box.. then the other gasket would go between the external box and the outside surface of the glass..

So its


flange... gasket..internal box wall.. silicone..tank glass... gasket.. external box wall.. nut

and you must sing that over and over while standing on one leg, rubbing your belly in a circle with one hand and tapping on your head with the other..

fa la la la la... la la la la
I've managed to free it off. I know why he's done it he has chipped the hole inside the tank and siliconed it to hide the damage. If the gasket covers the chip will it be OK? What should I do?


fishkeeprian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 01:43 PM   #13
fishkeeprian
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: England, Earl Shilton
Posts: 791
As you can see from the photo it's to the right near the bottom. It's a surface chip that sort of steps down to a deeper chip to the opening of the hole.

If there is a gasket on the wetside of the glass and a gasket on the dry side of the glass will it work?

What is my best approach now?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mg68ejbj2y...93817.jpg?dl=0



Last edited by fishkeeprian; 12/06/2017 at 02:10 PM.
fishkeeprian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 02:43 PM   #14
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12,967
Try it and find out..
The gasket "may" be sufficient..

One should always "wet test" their systems in the garage or outside or whatever prior to the final setup anyways.
So test and adapt as needed..


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 02:47 PM   #15
fishkeeprian
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: England, Earl Shilton
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Try it and find out..
The gasket "may" be sufficient..

One should always "wet test" their systems in the garage or outside or whatever prior to the final setup anyways.
So test and adapt as needed..

Say worse case it leaks what would you do to sort it?


fishkeeprian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 02:53 PM   #16
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeprian View Post
Say worse case it leaks what would you do to sort it?
you are no fun...
Get crazy man.. be wild and just do it and pick up the pieces later....


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 02:58 PM   #17
fishkeeprian
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: England, Earl Shilton
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
you are no fun...
Get crazy man.. be wild and just do it and pick up the pieces later....
to be honest mcgyvr the whole thing is stressing me out. One thing after another with this tank. I had it drilled my a so called experienced tank builder so I did have to worry and now I've got to worry.

I'm just trying to cover all bases. I've got so much to do before I can get it up and running.


fishkeeprian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 09:03 PM   #18
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 16,418
I just installed the small box. The instructions that came said that both gaskets should be 'stacked' between the exterior of the tank and the external box. In my case that's just two gaskets because it has just the one bulkhead through the tank side.

That's a pretty crappy drilling job, but if you think about how these things work, gaskets sealing the exterior box to the tank is really all that's needed to prevent a leak.


__________________
Simon

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2017, 04:16 AM   #19
fishkeeprian
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: England, Earl Shilton
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I just installed the small box. The instructions that came said that both gaskets should be 'stacked' between the exterior of the tank and the external box. In my case that's just two gaskets because it has just the one bulkhead through the tank side.

That's a pretty crappy drilling job, but if you think about how these things work, gaskets sealing the exterior box to the tank is really all that's needed to prevent a leak.

Hi Simon yes it is a rubbish drilling job.

what I will do is install as per instructed above and the actually seal the weir box to the tank as you would with a normal in tank weir just to be doubly sure I don't get any leaks.


fishkeeprian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2017, 04:15 PM   #20
clevername2000
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kirkwood, MO
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeprian View Post
Hi Simon yes it is a rubbish drilling job.

what I will do is install as per instructed above and the actually seal the weir box to the tank as you would with a normal in tank weir just to be doubly sure I don't get any leaks.
agree, not sure why you removed it in the first place. As you experienced first hand, that silicone was a great seal.


how i read your post
"i need to remove this amazingly solid waterproof box so i can reinstall it, then make it water proof again"



clevername2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2017, 02:04 AM   #21
fishkeeprian
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: England, Earl Shilton
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevername2000 View Post
agree, not sure why you removed it in the first place. As you experienced first hand, that silicone was a great seal.


how i read your post
"i need to remove this amazingly solid waterproof box so i can reinstall it, then make it water proof again"
It wasn't sealed properly there were a few daps of silicone on the back and he had not installed the seals from the bulkheads to the glass so it had every potential to leak.

I have installed the overflow correctly (seals in the correct orientation) and siliconed around the perimeter with an 8mm bead of silicon to ensure it is completely watertight, so I am pleased I removed the overflow in the first instance.

1, the overflow is secured the best it can be.

2, I can firmly say I will never use that company again and I will not be recommending them to anyone.

But thanks for your input.




fishkeeprian is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:16 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014