Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/05/2018, 01:07 PM   #6651
shred5
Registered Member

Eight t-5 for that width... I would use 8 for anything 24" or wider based on rock layout with just t-5. If you have led hybrid that is different but that is a wide tank so I might still go 8.

Last edited by shred5; 04/05/2018 at 01:14 PM.
shred5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 02:01 AM   #6652
MccReefer
Registered Member

What are your guys opinions on an 18” tall tank with 2 blue+ and 2 coral+ bulbs 5.5” above the water line and with most sps 7-11” below water line?
Do you guys think it’s not enough light?
It’s a 6 bulb Sunpower running only the 2nd channel on for 8 hours. While the first channel (x2 ATI true actinics) are used for dusk/dawn?

MccReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 07:55 AM   #6653
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MccReefer View Post
What are your guys opinions on an 18” tall tank with 2 blue+ and 2 coral+ bulbs 5.5” above the water line and with most sps 7-11” below water line?
Do you guys think it’s not enough light?
It’s a 6 bulb Sunpower running only the 2nd channel on for 8 hours. While the first channel (x2 ATI true actinics) are used for dusk/dawn?
Whats the width front to back? That is what really is important because the amount of bulbs equals the amount of coverage. Depth really is fine to 24" for t-5.

For me width under 18" 4 bulb.
18" to 23" 6 bulb.
24" and up 8 bulb and so on.

Unread 04/16/2018, 09:31 AM   #6654
MccReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
Whats the width front to back? That is what really is important because the amount of bulbs equals the amount of coverage. Depth really is fine to 24" for t-5.

For me width under 18" 4 bulb.
18" to 23" 6 bulb.
24" and up 8 bulb and so on.
Front to back is 18”. All sps are mainly up top. All other low light corals are on the bottom

Unread 04/16/2018, 10:10 AM   #6655
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Front to back is 18”. All sps are mainly up top. All other low light corals are on the bottom
6 bulbs should be fine and corals and sps down to bottom..

As far as lamp types for 6 bulb it is all preference really.

i like to run 2 whiter bulbs with 4 bluer bulbs.

I try to run at least one coral or purple lamp for some reds.

Sometimes I run a 6500k lamp for red and green instead of the coral or purple +which most people do not like the look of but it is good for the coral that come from shallower water. So if it is heavy sps I run that lamp.

The fad right now is super blue reefs which I am not a fan of. I personally prefer corals with true colors and a whiter light and not just a fluorescence with the super blue look . But that is why it is preference in bulbs selection..

Your post above does not say what other 2 bulbs you are wanting to use or what look you are going for. Most people that like the blue look add blue led and do not go t-5.

Last edited by shred5; 04/16/2018 at 10:16 AM.
shred5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 10:20 AM   #6656
MccReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
6 bulbs should be fine and corals and sps down to bottom..

As far as lamp types for 6 bulb it is all preference really.

i like to run 2 whiter bulbs with 4 bluer bulbs.

I try to run at least one coral or purple lamp for some reds.

Sometimes I run a 6500k lamp for red and green instead of the coral or purple +which most people do not like the look of but it is good for the coral that come from shallower water. So if it is heavy sps I run that lamp.

The fad right now is super blue reefs which I am not a fan of. I personal prefer corals with true colors and not just a fluorescence and do not like blue look . But that is why it is preference in bulbs selection..

Your post above does not say what other 2 bulbs you are using.

I wouldn’t mind the 6500k look if it has better results.
For the other two I’m running ati true actinic for dusk/dawn along with the reefbrite xho. I don’t know if itd be worth running those along with the other 4.
I’d like to keep the fixture as close to the water as possible for my reefbrite.

Unread 04/16/2018, 10:28 AM   #6657
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:

For the other two I’m running ati true actinic for dusk/dawn along with the reefbrite xho. I don’t know if itd be worth running those along with the other 4.

I’d like to keep the fixture as close to the water as possible for my reefbrite.

With that setup I’d run 3 blue+, 2-6500k, 1 true actinic, and the reefbrite. I’d actually put the 6500k bulbs on the 2 channel setting you’re using now for your actinics and use that as your daytime peak of roughly 4-5 hours and have actinic viewing for the rest

The conventional wisdom that your dawn dusk blues are for visual appeal only and that your growing power is in the daylight bulbs has been fairly well debunked. You can have a 10-12 hour photoperiod of blue+ and actinic and that will provide all the growing power you need and the reef brite will show it off. Your white channel in the middle will definitely HELP with growth some, but the biggest difference will be in developing a full range of color pigments you would miss out on with shallow water corals if you skip the white. It’ll improve your actinic colors, despite having a less fluorescent presentation while they’re on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 10:42 AM   #6658
MccReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
With that setup I’d run 3 blue+, 2-6500k, 1 true actinic, and the reefbrite. I’d actually put the 6500k bulbs on the 2 channel setting you’re using now for your actinics and use that as your daytime peak of roughly 4-5 hours and have actinic viewing for the rest

The conventional wisdom that your dawn dusk blues are for visual appeal only and that your growing power is in the daylight bulbs has been fairly well debunked. You can have a 10-12 hour photoperiod of blue+ and actinic and that will provide all the growing power you need and the reef brite will show it off. Your white channel in the middle will definitely HELP with growth some, but the biggest difference will be in developing a full range of color pigments you would miss out on with shallow water corals if you skip the white. It’ll improve your actinic colors, despite having a less fluorescent presentation while they’re on

Yeah I’d prefer the actinic look as most of my coral are brown under daylights but fluoresce under blues.
Would you recommend I run the reefbrite throughout the whole photo period? Seems like too much light.

Unread 04/16/2018, 10:57 AM   #6659
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
I run almost the same thing on my display tank upstairs.. I run 2 actinics, 2 other blue bulbs I used Giesemann, a coral+ and KZ new generation..
The reef bright i am guessing it is a blue should help with pop..

What you are talking about running is almost exactly what I am running just different brands. Only difference instead of two coral + I run the KZ which is a little whiter.

i used the 6500 on one of my frag tanks for color and growth. My new frag set up is going to be 3 tanks one with pure led, one hybrid and one just led.

Unread 04/16/2018, 11:18 AM   #6660
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah I’d prefer the actinic look as most of my coral are brown under daylights but fluoresce under blues.
Would you recommend I run the reefbrite throughout the whole photo period? Seems like too much light.

To much light depends on what you are keeping.. Hard to say without a par meter either. For my tanks which are sps dominant, so it would be fine..

Honestly I would start with the led strip if it is dim-able for dusk to dawn? then hour later turn on the actinic and off a hour before lights out. The other two circuit add a blue and a white and one runs around about 8 hours and the other 3 or 4 hours if you are worried about too much light. So basically all lamps are on for 4 hours.

Plus led should not have a issue with how long they are run where t-5 does.

But like I said it really depends on what you are keeping. Sps should have no issues with lights being on longer but a chalice would.

Unread 04/16/2018, 11:33 AM   #6661
MccReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
To much light depends on what you are keeping.. Hard to say without a par meter either. For my tanks which are sps dominant, so it would be fine..

Honestly I would start with the led strip if it is dim-able for dusk to dawn? then hour later turn on the actinic and off a hour before lights out. The other two circuit add a blue and a white and one runs around about 8 hours and the other 3 or 4 hours if you are worried about too much light. So basically all lamps are on for 4 hours.

Plus led should not have a issue with how long they are run where t-5 does.

But like I said it really depends on what you are keeping. Sps should have no issues with lights being on longer but a chalice would.
Ok I’m thinking of just going with a full photoperiod of 10 hours with the two 6500k bulbs on for 5 hours in between.

Unread 04/16/2018, 11:41 AM   #6662
Bpb
Registered Member

I use an 8x54 watt sunpower on my 90 gallon 48”x18”x24” and don’t feel like it’s too much. Light is 12” off the water, in a canopy to catch light spill. I run the 6 bulb channel for 10 hours and all 8 for 4 hours much like proposed

Unread 04/16/2018, 11:46 AM   #6663
MccReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
I use an 8x54 watt sunpower on my 90 gallon 48”x18”x24” and don’t feel like it’s too much. Light is 12” off the water, in a canopy to catch light spill. I run the 6 bulb channel for 10 hours and all 8 for 4 hours much like proposed

What’s your bulb combo?

I ended up going with your suggestion of 2 6500k bulbs for 5 hours and the other 4 bulbs on for 9 hours. The reefbrite turns off while the 6500k turn on.

Unread 04/16/2018, 11:49 AM   #6664
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok I’m thinking of just going with a full photoperiod of 10 hours with the two 6500k bulbs on for 5 hours in between.
If you like the blue look 6500k is not that, I would stick with what you were looking at.. Also 6500k usually are higher par. If you did want 6500k go with one or you may get a yellow green tint.

If you like a whiter look 6500 is ok.

Unread 04/16/2018, 12:05 PM   #6665
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
What’s your bulb combo?

I ended up going with your suggestion of 2 6500k bulbs for 5 hours and the other 4 bulbs on for 9 hours. The reefbrite turns off while the 6500k turn on.

To me the 6500k bulbs have their own flavor honestly. Good bad or indifferent they’re just another overall vibe of viewing a tank. It’ll look a lot more natural. Again. The point to me in using them is pigment development that will show better when viewed under blues. You may not enjoy the look while they’re on. Which is why I do a shorter photoperiod.

Right now I run 4 blue+, 2 purple+, 1 true actinic, 1 6500k. But I have no led supplements.

In the future on my next tank (which I have, it’s just not set up) I will run 4 blue+, 2 6500k, and 2 purple+, as well as 2 SBReef SBAR blue actinic led strips.

I previously ran 2 6500k bulbs. I didn’t hate it but I didn’t like the look as well since I don’t currently run LEDs. Swapping one out for a purple+ has allowed me to keep those wavelengths present, though not as heavy, and has helped with the displaying of color.

Again. Running led supplements changes the formula though

Unread 04/16/2018, 12:18 PM   #6666
MccReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
To me the 6500k bulbs have their own flavor honestly. Good bad or indifferent they’re just another overall vibe of viewing a tank. It’ll look a lot more natural. Again. The point to me in using them is pigment development that will show better when viewed under blues. You may not enjoy the look while they’re on. Which is why I do a shorter photoperiod.

Right now I run 4 blue+, 2 purple+, 1 true actinic, 1 6500k. But I have no led supplements.

In the future on my next tank (which I have, it’s just not set up) I will run 4 blue+, 2 6500k, and 2 purple+, as well as 2 SBReef SBAR blue actinic led strips.

I previously ran 2 6500k bulbs. I didn’t hate it but I didn’t like the look as well since I don’t currently run LEDs. Swapping one out for a purple+ has allowed me to keep those wavelengths present, though not as heavy, and has helped with the displaying of color.

Again. Running led supplements changes the formula though

That was my main reason for wanting to run the 6500k. I’d like to bring out all the pigment (plus growth) in the coral for viewing under blues. Would the Ati Coral + produce the same results as the 6500k bulbs?

I’ll probably cut down on the reefbrites.

Unread 04/16/2018, 12:35 PM   #6667
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
That was my main reason for wanting to run the 6500k. I’d like to bring out all the pigment (plus growth) in the coral for viewing under blues. Would the Ati Coral + produce the same results as the 6500k bulbs?

I’ll probably cut down on the reefbrites.

Similar. But not exact. If you look at the spectral plots between the coral+ and say the giesemann tropic, they appear to use similar phosphors as they have similar high peaks, the 6500k just has more. It is more evenly distributed among the green red and blue, rather than being heavily blue weighted with a touch of the rest. I actually don’t MIND how the 6500k looks. It looks very natural like shallow water. A 2:4 mix of 6500k and blue+ will look nearly identical to water at a 10-15 foot depth (what id consider very shallow). It’s white and bright. And what blue you do see is more likely a reflection of the blue sky itself than actual attenuation of light color

Unread 04/17/2018, 06:20 PM   #6668
Chicagoreef2016
Registered Member

Ok, so I have an 8 bulb going over my current build. I plan on running 6 bulbs during the day, and use the other 2 as my sunrise/sunset. I currently have a 8 bulb ATI over my cube and run 2 Blue+ for sunrise/sunset, and these for my 6 bulb: KZ fiji purple, 4 Blue+, & 1 Coral Plus. Like but don't love the setup so looking to change it up on the new tank. Thoughts on the below for the 6 bulb:
1 KZ Fiji Purple
1 GE 6500k (is Giesman just as good?)
3 ATI Blue+
1 ATI Coral+

And for my sunrise/sunset, what should I pair with a Blue+? I am so so on the Blue only with T5s, doesn't pop like with LEDs (previously had a Hydra 26HD) so willing to try something different this time with the T5.

Thanks!

Unread 04/17/2018, 06:41 PM   #6669
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoreef2016 View Post
Ok, so I have an 8 bulb going over my current build. I plan on running 6 bulbs during the day, and use the other 2 as my sunrise/sunset. I currently have a 8 bulb ATI over my cube and run 2 Blue+ for sunrise/sunset, and these for my 6 bulb: KZ fiji purple, 4 Blue+, & 1 Coral Plus. Like but don't love the setup so looking to change it up on the new tank. Thoughts on the below for the 6 bulb:
1 KZ Fiji Purple
1 GE 6500k (is Giesman just as good?)
3 ATI Blue+
1 ATI Coral+

And for my sunrise/sunset, what should I pair with a Blue+? I am so so on the Blue only with T5s, doesn't pop like with LEDs (previously had a Hydra 26HD) so willing to try something different this time with the T5.

Thanks!
Have you ever tried 420 nm true actinic? I would run 2 on the D/D channel personally. My opinion is the blue plus bulb by itself is ugly with all that green, I need purple/ coral/ white to balance it.

Sent using Tapatalk.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2018, 07:06 AM   #6670
pdiehm
Registered Member

just got a 6x80W for a "developing" SPS tank.

looking at 3 B+, 1 C+, 1 P+, 1 Actinic.

Not a fan of the white tank look, but will adjust to whatever is best for the corals.

Other option is 4 b+, 1 c+ and 1 p+

Unread 07/12/2018, 05:33 PM   #6671
Keith@ ATI NA
Registered Member

most of these questions are addressed in our latest blog post here:
https://www.atinorthamerica.com/t5-bulb-layout/

Current Tank Info: 175g mixed powered by an ATI LED Powermodule
Keith@ ATI NA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2018, 12:42 AM   #6672
paal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiehm View Post
just got a 6x80W for a "developing" SPS tank.

looking at 3 B+, 1 C+, 1 P+, 1 Actinic.

Not a fan of the white tank look, but will adjust to whatever is best for the corals.

Other option is 4 b+, 1 c+ and 1 p+
Here is the thing:

If you buy 6 bulbs and you are not happy with the look, you will change some of them. Doh!
If you buy 6 bulbs and you are “ok” with the look, you will change some of them.
If you buy 6 bulbs and LOVE the look, you eventually start wondering if it would look even better if you just changed that ONE bulb…

Unless you live super close to the "bulb store", I strongly suggest you buy more bulbs right away to start playing with. It is really hard to get it right the first time, and even if you do, you STILL probably want to tweak it. Other people’s online pictures rarely show the exact color IMO.

I suggest you buy extra B+ and C+ to play around with. B&C are bulbs that you will for sure end up using in future replacements anyway (unless in the rare case of a 4B/2P combo) As long as you can afford the initial purchase, you lose nothing in the long run.
As for P+ and Act+, just get 1 each for testing as these are bulbs that you could potentially end up not using.

This is my recommended starting list for a 6 bulb fixture. It will save you a lot of “what if…?”

4 Blue Plus
3 Coral Plus
1 Purple Plus
1 Actinic

Even with the extra bulbs available, you will still probably wonder how other brand’s bulbs will look etc... It’s the damn T5 curse!
For this reason alone, I am very glad that I went the hybrid route. It is much easier then to get the T5s “about right”, and then fine tune the overall color with the LEDs (But even then I have still played around a lot with bulb changes )

Good luck

paal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2018, 06:06 AM   #6673
pdiehm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paal View Post
Here is the thing:

If you buy 6 bulbs and you are not happy with the look, you will change some of them. Doh!
If you buy 6 bulbs and you are “ok” with the look, you will change some of them.
If you buy 6 bulbs and LOVE the look, you eventually start wondering if it would look even better if you just changed that ONE bulb…

Unless you live super close to the "bulb store", I strongly suggest you buy more bulbs right away to start playing with. It is really hard to get it right the first time, and even if you do, you STILL probably want to tweak it. Other people’s online pictures rarely show the exact color IMO.

I suggest you buy extra B+ and C+ to play around with. B&C are bulbs that you will for sure end up using in future replacements anyway (unless in the rare case of a 4B/2P combo) As long as you can afford the initial purchase, you lose nothing in the long run.
As for P+ and Act+, just get 1 each for testing as these are bulbs that you could potentially end up not using.

This is my recommended starting list for a 6 bulb fixture. It will save you a lot of “what if…?”

4 Blue Plus
3 Coral Plus
1 Purple Plus
1 Actinic

Even with the extra bulbs available, you will still probably wonder how other brand’s bulbs will look etc... It’s the damn T5 curse!
For this reason alone, I am very glad that I went the hybrid route. It is much easier then to get the T5s “about right”, and then fine tune the overall color with the LEDs (But even then I have still played around a lot with bulb changes )

Good luck
bulbs are ordered, along with the bulbs I have coming with the unit.

4 blue+
2 coral+
1 purple+
1 actinic

ordered these last night.

combo's i'll play with for certain:

4 B+, 1 C+, 1 P+
4 B+, 2 C+ (I'm inclined to think this will be too white for my liking)
3 B+, 1 C+, 1 Actinic, 1 P+

Bulbs coming with the unit (assuming they last through shipping): 3 Blue+, 1 Coral+, 1 AB Special, 1 Purple+ (each approximately 2 months old)

Unread 07/13/2018, 06:11 AM   #6674
wcharon
Registered Member

I used 4 B+, 1 C+ and 1 P+ and I liked it a lot.

Then I changed to 3B+, 1C+, 1P+ and 1 True Actinic and I liked the look better but the grow is limited.

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. Reef, Chiller 1/4, Skimmer SRO SSS-1000 (Old), Aquamaxx EM-200, Aqua C UV, Actinic ReefBrites, Kore 5th. Doser, APEX Full
wcharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2018, 03:26 PM   #6675
fiji4118
Registered Member

Hi all!.

Anyone know if there is a site or if someone could help me with a conversion question? I had a 150 with T5s. Front to back, B+,ABS,ATI actinic, KZ fiji purple, Gies AB Azure, B+. Not sure at the end of the day what kind of look that was (20K, 10K etc). I am trying to mirror that look on a Prime HD unit. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

fiji4118 is offline   Reply With Quote