Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/25/2018, 03:08 PM   #1
cFloor
Registered Member

250g. SPS and Reef Room

Whats up everyone, I've been meaning to start a new thread on here. My last one for this tank was just started when Photobucket removed all the pics.

My current setup (located in garage): This tank got wet on 5/10/2017 and corals were added on 5/29/2017

Tank: Crystal Dynamics Peninsula: 72"x36"x22" (250ish gallons)
Sump: Advanced Acrylics
Return pump: Ecotech Vectra L1 and M1
Skimmer: Reef Octopus 300
Lighting: ATI t5 with Reefbrite LED strips
Alk and Ca: B-Ionic 2 part, controlled by DOS
Controller: Neptune Apex (controls heaters and fans,dosing, and monitors temp and pH)
Flow: 2 MP60s, 2 MP40s, 100% on pulse mode
Other: About 9 gallons of Seachem Matrix in bags and reactors, 1 cup carbon in bag, Reef Crystals salt
QT Tanks: Coral QT is Red Sea Reefer 170. Fish QT is Red Sea Reefer 250

Frag tank: Botanicare hydroponics tub
Flow: MP40 x3
Light: G4 Radion Pros and Reefbrite stip

Delivery Day!

I used some water and rock from my old tank and got the new one up and running pretty quick. I used a couple tester frags for a few days to make sure they were happy before moving everything in.

I moved all my rock, fish, and coral in all in one day. Luckily, without any losses.
First FTS

Couple pics

I ended up having to remove my sand. Even though I went with a more coarse sand, it was still getting blown all over the place and sucked up into my vortechs. Also, the clarion would constantly swoop down and throw it up over my corals. I got sick of dealing with it and just removed it all, which I think looks pretty bad...but it's easy.

The day I set up my frag tank

Coral QT

And here's the most recent FTS. I don't like the look of this tank being bare bottom, especially because of the bracing so I've decided to find some cool monti caps to help cover it all up.

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 04:08 PM   #2
Acromaniac
Registered Member

Amazing tank!

Are the pumps on pulse synced or not?

Also what bulb combo do you use?

Thanks

Acromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 05:16 PM   #3
reefmutt
Registered Member

Oh boy!!
Are we in for a treat!!
Happy to see you started this, Connor.
Looking fantastic!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 11:32 PM   #4
cFloor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acromaniac View Post
Amazing tank!

Are the pumps on pulse synced or not?

Also what bulb combo do you use?

Thanks
Thanks! My pumps are not synced, just random pulse mode at 100%
I just changed out my bulbs and I'm using 5 blue+, 2 coral+, 1 purple+
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Oh boy!!
Are we in for a treat!!
Happy to see you started this, Connor.
Looking fantastic!
Thanks Matt! Kind of you to say

Unread 04/16/2018, 01:00 PM   #5
cFloor
Registered Member

Here's a FTS from earlier this month. Tank has been funky lately. PO4 has been a little high at .08 and Nitrates are undetectable. I have a little cyano and my corals are looking off. I recently lost a couple frags and my WWC Bounce melted overnight which was the largest one I have seen. I've been doing multiple large water changes in attempt to get everything back on track.

Unread 04/16/2018, 03:33 PM   #6
reefmutt
Registered Member

Still looking pretty cool, Connor.
Just love that monster tort.
Have you considered just dosing some kno3?

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 04/16/2018, 04:09 PM   #7
cFloor
Registered Member

Quote:
Still looking pretty cool, Connor.
Just love that monster tort.
Have you considered just dosing some kno3?
Thanks Matt, Yeah I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't know if I need to dose nitrate or add GFO to bring down PO4. What do you think? I've never had a good experience with GFO so I'm a little nervous about using it.

Unread 04/16/2018, 05:13 PM   #8
reefmutt
Registered Member

I’ve never had great experiences with gfo either.. not a huge fan... and really, these days I’m not sure how important it is to severely control po4, anyways..
I have pretty much never had po4 lower than .08 and until just recently, my po4 has always been between .14-.24....

Now, it is possible that your po4 may only be up because your n has bottomed out..
Personally I wouldn’t call your p high..
maybe your system is nitrate limited and this is why p has climbed....

Unread 04/18/2018, 07:04 PM   #9
cFloor
Registered Member

Quote:
I’ve never had great experiences with gfo either.. not a huge fan... and really, these days I’m not sure how important it is to severely control po4, anyways..
I have pretty much never had po4 lower than .08 and until just recently, my po4 has always been between .14-.24....

Now, it is possible that your po4 may only be up because your n has bottomed out..
Personally I wouldn’t call your p high..
maybe your system is nitrate limited and this is why p has climbed....
To add some nitrate, would you recommend dosing, turning down my skimmer, or feeding more?

Unread 04/18/2018, 07:11 PM   #10
shih87
Registered Member

I envy you....

I want a new tank too.

Share us more, please.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Aquaforest ROTM June 2019
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 07:39 PM   #11
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cFloor View Post
To add some nitrate, would you recommend dosing, turning down my skimmer, or feeding more?
The best way to raise nitrate without potentially raising phosphate levels as well, is with nitrate additions only..
I currently use Seachem’s Flourish Nitrogen. It is potassium nitrate. I add 3 capfuls on Wednesday and Saturday to maintain n around 3 ppm- with my cheato fuge growing heavily..
I started with adding one capful and testing n a day later to see if it had any impact. Sometime it takes a couple of doses to get a reading but once you do get a reading, you should then back off the dose a bit so as not to overshoot your target level..
In your case, you should probably add n and then test both n and p.. you have to do a lot of regular dosing and testing to figure out proper dosage.. it can take several weeks to see the effect and figure out a running dose..
if your system is nitrate limited, you may see a drop in p before you get a significant reading for n.
I forget.. are you carbon dosing?

Unread 04/22/2018, 08:17 PM   #12
cFloor
Registered Member

Quote:
The best way to raise nitrate without potentially raising phosphate levels as well, is with nitrate additions only..
I currently use Seachem’s Flourish Nitrogen. It is potassium nitrate. I add 3 capfuls on Wednesday and Saturday to maintain n around 3 ppm- with my cheato fuge growing heavily..
I started with adding one capful and testing n a day later to see if it had any impact. Sometime it takes a couple of doses to get a reading but once you do get a reading, you should then back off the dose a bit so as not to overshoot your target level..
In your case, you should probably add n and then test both n and p.. you have to do a lot of regular dosing and testing to figure out proper dosage.. it can take several weeks to see the effect and figure out a running dose..
if your system is nitrate limited, you may see a drop in p before you get a significant reading for n.
I forget.. are you carbon dosing?
Matt, this is excellent information. Thank you! No I'm not carbon dosing.

Unread 04/23/2018, 05:26 AM   #13
Alex Costa
Registered Member

Hi Conor,
I am dosing Sodium Nitrate for the last 2 or 3 months. Before that my NO3 was 0,2.
Now I'm keeping it around 5ppm and my corals look a lot more happier.
As Matt said, I made some tests to find the amount of NaNO3 needed in my system.
To me, feed more heavier does nothing to NO3 levels.
Regards,
Alex

PS.: I miss the sand in your tank.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/153-tank-of-the-month

Current Tank Info: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2596707
Alex Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 09:53 AM   #14
cFloor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Costa View Post
Hi Conor,
I am dosing Sodium Nitrate for the last 2 or 3 months. Before that my NO3 was 0,2.
Now I'm keeping it around 5ppm and my corals look a lot more happier.
As Matt said, I made some tests to find the amount of NaNO3 needed in my system.
To me, feed more heavier does nothing to NO3 levels.
Regards,
Alex

PS.: I miss the sand in your tank.
Hi Alex, I appreciate your input. Thank you!

Yes! I miss the sand too. I have too much flow and some fish that like throwing it up on my corals. I’m hoping to eventually cover most of the bottom with montis.

Unread 04/25/2018, 08:11 PM   #15
gypsy1203
Registered Member

Are you running the 60” ati fixture? How are you liking it so far on your 72”?

gypsy1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2018, 11:25 AM   #16
cFloor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy1203 View Post
Are you running the 60” ati fixture? How are you liking it so far on your 72”?
Yes, I am running a 60” ATI with 2 blue xho reefbrite strips. I’m very pleased with it. I’m not sure there’s lighting that will outperform this combo. I do have radions above my frag tank and my corals in there seem very happy as well. I’d consider switching to radions above my display tank but I’d need 6 of them which is $$$$

Unread 04/27/2018, 03:09 PM   #17
gypsy1203
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cFloor View Post
Yes, I am running a 60” ATI with 2 blue xho reefbrite strips. I’m very pleased with it. I’m not sure there’s lighting that will outperform this combo. I do have radions above my frag tank and my corals in there seem very happy as well. I’d consider switching to radions above my display tank but I’d need 6 of them which is $$$$
Thanks for your reply! I currently have the 48" 8 bulb fixture with reefbrite fixture mounted on them as well over my 48" display tank and I'm loving it so far.

I'm only asking because I'm planning on building a bigger tank in the future and I wasn't sure if the 60" fixture was giving enough light over the long 72". Are the sides where the fixture isn't covering giving good light or do you see a noticeable difference on both ends where it's dark?

gypsy1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2018, 03:02 PM   #18
cFloor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy1203 View Post
Thanks for your reply! I currently have the 48" 8 bulb fixture with reefbrite fixture mounted on them as well over my 48" display tank and I'm loving it so far.

I'm only asking because I'm planning on building a bigger tank in the future and I wasn't sure if the 60" fixture was giving enough light over the long 72". Are the sides where the fixture isn't covering giving good light or do you see a noticeable difference on both ends where it's dark?
I don't notice any dark or shaded areas at the ends of my tank. One side is the overflow box, which takes up a few inches. That being said, if there was a 72" ATI fixture, I'd be using that.

Unread 05/13/2018, 03:02 PM   #19
cFloor
Registered Member

FTS from the other day after doing some weekly maintenance.

Unread 05/13/2018, 06:36 PM   #20
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

One of these day's I'm going to outdo your angel collection mate! Until then I'm going to continue to drool over your pictures and gorgeous gorgeous angels!! The tank is looking really nice Conor

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote