Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/14/2018, 02:04 PM   #26
anthonys51
Registered Member.

I feed a lot because of my 20 anthias. The tangs just benefit because they are pigs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

anthonys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 02:49 PM   #27
davocean
Registered Member

standard 120g, I have only one tang, a lavendar, which is so happy and peaceful I would prefer to not mess that up by adding another tang.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 04:01 PM   #28
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonys51 View Post
So it seeks feeding tangs is the key. Guess since they graze a day a hunger tang can be a moody tang

They definitely can eat a lot, and they produce a lot of waste. Anecdotal evidence seems to show that feeding a lot helps with aggression. But that's only part of it. Most people that keep more than one have large tanks (180-600+). There are other factors that I've seen discussed, like adding them together when juveniles, specific rockwork patterns and rearranging said rock, mirrors, acclimation boxes ect.

I'm leaning toward bill and dave's approach for my tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Standard 120DT with a single Tomini. Maybe 8 other smallish reef fish to keep it company including a African Flameback Angel who was there first. About a week of sorting out the pecking order. Now, several years later all are fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
standard 120g, I have only one tang, a lavendar, which is so happy and peaceful I would prefer to not mess that up by adding another tang.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 04:51 PM   #29
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Man you guys have some big tanks..

Mine is 90 gallon 1 yellow tang

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 05:28 PM   #30
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastlake View Post
150 gallon, not the short one the long one, 3 yellow tangs and a pallete surgeon (Paracanthurus hepatus). The pallete surgeon was the first in and the trio of yellows was way after. I got them from a hobbyist who grew them up together from when they were tiny, the only time any of them get ornery is near lights out when they are competing for the best sleeping spots. The pallete rules the roost though.
Did you get those three yellows recently? Like last 6 months or so?

I know a guy who had three for sale an hour or so away from me... I got a long nose hawkish off of him... plus your screen name is "Eastlake" so I'm just randomly guessing your from Ohio as well..

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 06:10 PM   #31
anthonys51
Registered Member.

I had 4 yellow and 2 baby mata tangs in an 80 rimless with no rocks just frag racks and they never fought. So not sure if rockeork matters. They where babies and all added together

Unread 06/15/2018, 06:20 AM   #32
eastlake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeJeune981 View Post
Did you get those three yellows recently? Like last 6 months or so?

I know a guy who had three for sale an hour or so away from me... I got a long nose hawkish off of him... plus your screen name is "Eastlake" so I'm just randomly guessing your from Ohio as well..

Was the fellow from Medina, like just across the Medina line? If so then I am the person who bought those yellow tangs and yep I am an Ohioan

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2018, 06:38 AM   #33
Timfish
Registered Member

500 gallon system, 6 Yellow Tangs, 1 Regal Tang, 1 Achilles Tang, 1 Sailfin Tang.
https://youtu.be/DwH9Q59l8wk

Unread 06/15/2018, 07:15 AM   #34
cincyjim
Registered Member

You guys have some wonderful tanks. I would love to have a much larger tank but I don't have the room for anything much bigger than I have now. So jealous...

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2018, 08:05 AM   #35
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

I am having a new tank built 60”x36”x24”, about 240’ish gallons. I’m think at least one tang, maybe 3. I’ve heard keeping odd numbers of tangs help; maybe that’s a myth I’m not sure.

Unread 06/15/2018, 09:23 AM   #36
davocean
Registered Member

I don't know where the odd/even theories started, but I'm pretty sure fish can't count, so I don't buy into that at all.

Swim space is the issue w/ tangs, in a 240g you could easily have a group of tangs somewhat peacefully depending on species

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 06/15/2018, 10:46 AM   #37
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastlake View Post
Was the fellow from Medina, like just across the Medina line? If so then I am the person who bought those yellow tangs and yep I am an Ohioan
This guy was from Cleveland area..i think parma.. I got 3 black box leds and my hawk and a pink acan from him.. he had a 180 gall for sale..and a crap load of frags..
He tried like he'll to sell my the 3 yellow tangs.. even though I told him I had a scopas and a purple in a 90..
I wanted those 3 so bad..but I couldn't risk it in my 90..

I am from the Sandusky area..but always find myself driving to Cleveland to buy things from people on here..

Actually plan on going to vermilion today to the salty critter.. awesome little saltwater shop

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 02:39 AM   #38
Tastee
Registered Member

I have a 65g Red Sea Reefer 250 and one Yellow Tang (Carol) amongst my 8 fish. She seems very happy, sticks her snout into every part of the tank and gets along well with everyone else including the Inverts. I plan to keep an eye on her in years to come in case she outgrows the tank and if needed re-home her. Only if I feel she is looking stressed however.

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 05:07 AM   #39
Valentini89
Registered Member

HAD a sailfin, kole, yellow, and naso. Velvet killed them all. :-( Now I have a yellow.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 08:30 PM   #40
mal7887
Registered Member

I have a yellow, purple and hippo in a 190, 60x27x27. The yellow runs the tank... for now until the purple grows up.

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Current Tank Info: 190
mal7887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 11:57 AM   #41
Timfish
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't know where the odd/even theories started, but I'm pretty sure fish can't count, so I don't buy into that at all.

Swim space is the issue w/ tangs, in a 240g you could easily have a group of tangs somewhat peacefully depending on species
I agree the even/odd rule of thumb is pretty much bogus as each individual fish's temperment trumps the number of fish. I have to disagree with the notion fish cant count though. Even the lowly mosquito fish can count to at least four (1, 2, 3, 4, then lots).
https://link.springer.com/article/10...071-008-0140-9
Research is showing fish are much smarter than we've belived them to be, some fish scoring as well as primates on some types of intellegence tests.

Unread 06/24/2018, 12:07 PM   #42
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfish View Post
I agree the even/odd rule of thumb is pretty much bogus as each individual fish's temperment trumps the number of fish. I have to disagree with the notion fish cant count though. Even the lowly mosquito fish can count to at least four (1, 2, 3, 4, then lots).
https://link.springer.com/article/10...071-008-0140-9
Research is showing fish are much smarter than we've belived them to be, some fish scoring as well as primates on some types of intellegence tests.
If I'm reading this correctly, this shows a female mosquito fish chose to join the larger shoal, which would make sense to me, bigger shoal, greater safety among greater numbers.

While I agree some fish are smarter than others or what some give credit to, I don't think that proves they are counting exactly, nor that odd or even or a certain number leads to greater chance of success or failure based on a certain number of fish.

Unread 06/24/2018, 12:10 PM   #43
anthonys51
Registered Member.

Quote:
If I'm reading this correctly, this shows a female mosquito fish chose to join the larger shoal, which would make sense to me, bigger shoal, greater safety among greater numbers.

While I agree some fish are smarter than others or what some give credit to, I don't think that proves they are counting exactly, nor that odd or even or a certain number leads to greater chance of success or failure based on a certain number of fish.

Think we all agree odds even is nonsense.

Unread 06/25/2018, 09:17 AM   #44
sik_z33
Registered Member

Standard 180 gallon tank (72x24x24)
3 Yellow tangs
1 Pacific Blue tang
1 Tomini tang

I wanted to keep an Acanthurus species as well but have decided my tank is probably at capacity. I have 22 fish total- mostly small fish gobies, blennies, wrasses, chromis, and clowns.

sik_z33 is offline   Reply With Quote