Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/13/2018, 12:13 PM   #3651
whyamisofly
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyamisofly View Post
Getting ready to build my skimmer stand - what has everyone found to be the "sweet spot" on the 24" model for depth?
Bump

Current Tank Info: 93g Cube
whyamisofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2018, 06:39 PM   #3652
Celtic_Fox
Registered Member

Quote:
Getting ready to build my skimmer stand - what has everyone found to be the "sweet spot" on the 24" model for depth?
Quote:
Bump

As long as the water level outside the skimmer isn't much above the level of the exit pipe/valve it doesn't really matter.

The water level (and bubble level) inside this type of skimmer is usually governed by the height of the exit pipe and how open the exit valve is. The "sweet spot" depends on how wet or dry you want your skimate - and you adjust the exit valve as needed. (Assuming your pump pressure is constant of course.)

You only really get in trouble when the outside water height gets much higher than the exit pipe, causing the water and bubble level on the inside to rise more than wanted and/or expected - and of course the exit valve then becomes less helpful (or not at all) in adjusting the inside level...

Sooooo, if you need a skimmer stand (or just "want one", like I did), just make sure the exit pipe/valve is above the water level. If you end up not liking the sound of the water exiting the skimmer, a simple street elbow (and pipe if needed) pointed down, that reaches the the water line, works great.

Current tank info: Red Sea Reefer 450 / Three Radion XR15w G3 Pros / Custom Lifereef Signature Series CLF1, SVS3-24 Skimmer, and Refugium / Barr Aquatics KR1020 Kalk Reactor / JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10
Celtic_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2018, 10:48 PM   #3653
whyamisofly
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic_Fox View Post
As long as the water level outside the skimmer isn't much above the level of the exit pipe/valve it doesn't really matter.

The water level (and bubble level) inside this type of skimmer is usually governed by the height of the exit pipe and how open the exit valve is. The "sweet spot" depends on how wet or dry you want your skimate - and you adjust the exit valve as needed. (Assuming your pump pressure is constant of course.)

You only really get in trouble when the outside water height gets much higher than the exit pipe, causing the water and bubble level on the inside to rise more than wanted and/or expected - and of course the exit valve then becomes less helpful (or not at all) in adjusting the inside level...

Sooooo, if you need a skimmer stand (or just "want one", like I did), just make sure the exit pipe/valve is above the water level. If you end up not liking the sound of the water exiting the skimmer, a simple street elbow (and pipe if needed) pointed down, that reaches the the water line, works great.
Thank you for the response! I require a stand in my sump, as the water level is at 14".

Unread 04/14/2018, 10:59 PM   #3654
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

My sump water level is 10.5” deep with a 3” stand. So my skimmer sits at a 7.5” depth.

As said above, I use a 90degree fitting as a turndown to quiet the exit flow.

Unread 04/15/2018, 08:53 AM   #3655
whyamisofly
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post
My sump water level is 10.5” deep with a 3” stand. So my skimmer sits at a 7.5” depth.

As said above, I use a 90degree fitting as a turndown to quiet the exit flow.
Thank you! I'll plan on 7-8" depth

Unread 04/17/2018, 04:03 PM   #3656
Antonee
Registered Member

Wow finally finished all 147 pages. Had a question about ordering from Jeff. I just ordered the SVS3-24 his past weekend and the skimmer is in stock. When are orders usually shipped? Just wondering because I have a business trip coming up.

Antonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 04:15 PM   #3657
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonee View Post
Wow finally finished all 147 pages. Had a question about ordering from Jeff. I just ordered the SVS3-24 his past weekend and the skimmer is in stock. When are orders usually shipped? Just wondering because I have a business trip coming up.

Jeff is a one man show on what I came to call Jeff time lol. so if you haven’t yet I would call him and ask. If not it could be a week or two, he will also hold it and ship out when you return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 05:07 PM   #3658
rmchoi
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you! I'll plan on 7-8" depth
That depth is right on. I have a Lifereef system built with Lifereef SVS3-24 skimmer. The water line sticker that came on the Lifereef sump is at 7” from bottom, right where the water line actually is.

rmchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 07:13 PM   #3659
Yogre
Cheesehead Reefer

Quote:
Last time I ordered from him, been a couple of years now, he told me he only ships on Tuesdays. So, you’d have to coordinate a Tuesday that works for you.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal TBS Reef
Yogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 10:36 AM   #3660
Antonee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogre View Post
Last time I ordered from him, been a couple of years now, he told me he only ships on Tuesdays. So, you’d have to coordinate a Tuesday that works for you.

Thanks for the reply and I guess Jeff hasn’t changed much from an operational standpoint. He shipped out my skimmer this Tuesday and it’s arriving this Saturday. Super excited.

Unread 04/28/2018, 10:53 AM   #3661
Mryin
Registered Member

My lifereef skimmer and overflow are in the mail and will be here Monday! Can’t wait. This is my first insump skimmer, currently using a bh2000 HOB. Anything I need to know setting this skimmer up. I ordered the 24” internal

Unread 04/28/2018, 02:11 PM   #3662
Pablos RSM 450
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mryin View Post
My lifereef skimmer and overflow are in the mail and will be here Monday! Can’t wait. This is my first insump skimmer, currently using a bh2000 HOB. Anything I need to know setting this skimmer up. I ordered the 24” internal
It is by far the best skimmer you will ever own. It will be a bit loud on initial setup but will quiet over time. I suggest a diy silencer and a 6,000 lph dc pump. Do not bother with the mazzei venturi. The stock one Jeff makes works better. I made a comparison video between multiple skimmers and both stock and mazzei on the lifereef.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 450
Pablos RSM 450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2018, 11:37 AM   #3663
Antonee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablos RSM 450 View Post
It is by far the best skimmer you will ever own. It will be a bit loud on initial setup but will quiet over time. I suggest a diy silencer and a 6,000 lph dc pump. Do not bother with the mazzei venturi. The stock one Jeff makes works better. I made a comparison video between multiple skimmers and both stock and mazzei on the lifereef.

Agree that it’s a little loud and wish it was more silent. Not sure if I should mod it with the silencer. I’m running my 24 with a dcp-8000 at 75% and it’s skimming nicely. Skim at 4 days after breaking in for 24 hrs.

Unread 05/15/2018, 02:39 PM   #3664
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

When you refer to noise, what is making the noise?

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 04:41 PM   #3665
Mark SF
Registered Member

Quote:
Agree that it’s a little loud and wish it was more silent. Not sure if I should mod it with the silencer. I’m running my 24 with a dcp-8000 at 75% and it’s skimming nicely. Skim at 4 days after breaking in for 24 hrs.

I was just debating on which Jebao DCP pump to run on a lifereef SVS3-24. Sounds like the 8000 is more than enough flow with the standard Venturi?

Does anyone else have experience with running DC pumps on the LifeReef?

-Mark

Mark SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 04:48 PM   #3666
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark SF View Post
I was just debating on which Jebao DCP pump to run on a lifereef SVS3-24. Sounds like the 8000 is more than enough flow with the standard Venturi?

-Mark

Yes I run a jebao 8000 and run it at 80% it’s perfect and that pretty much maxes the air injection potential of the standard Venturi. Anything more then that is just wasting power imo.

Unread 06/24/2018, 05:45 PM   #3667
Mark SF
Registered Member

Perfect, placing an order for an 8000! Thanks.

Unread 06/25/2018, 07:58 AM   #3668
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:

-Mark
My lifereef is powered by a Cor 15. Zero noise.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 08:09 AM   #3669
Mark SF
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
My lifereef is powered by a Cor 15. Zero noise.
I was planning on spending the money for a COR-15 for the return pump, but good to know that it's working out for you. What speed are you running your COR-15 to operate the skimmer?

-Mark

Unread 06/25/2018, 08:58 AM   #3670
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
I was planning on spending the money for a COR-15 for the return pump, but good to know that it's working out for you. What speed are you running your COR-15 to operate the skimmer?

-Mark
I also use a Cor 15 for my return It wasn't my intent but I was reading some threads on the Neptune forums and someone said they used the same pump for skimmer and return. That way if the return pump failed they could just swap out the skimmers pump with the return and be back operational in no time provided plumbed correctly. I thought that made a lot of sense so paired them up. Skimmer can be offline longer so that is the route I went.

Pumps work fine. I just cleaned the return this past weekend after about 4 months of operation. Not too bad and maybe took 5 minutes if that. Pretty easy.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2018, 06:26 AM   #3671
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Planning on joining the club with a SVS3-30 or 36 .
What pumps do you guys use on the 30 or 36 ?
I was thinking of jebao DCP 10000 or may be the Fluval sp4 .

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2018, 07:08 PM   #3672
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
Planning on joining the club with a SVS3-30 or 36 .
What pumps do you guys use on the 30 or 36 ?
I was thinking of jebao DCP 10000 or may be the Fluval sp4 .

Regards,
Abhishek

Are you going with the standard Venturi? If so a jebao 8-10k will be fine, same for the sp-4. If your getting the mazzei then I would do something pressure rated like an iwaki.

Unread 07/02/2018, 07:16 PM   #3673
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
Are you going with the standard Venturi? If so a jebao 8-10k will be fine, same for the sp-4. If your getting the mazzei then I would do something pressure rated like an iwaki.

Thanks a ton !! I want the mazzei but can't do pressure rated as it will be in sump .
I checked with Jeff and he said mag 18 .So I thought pressure rated isnor important .

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2018, 07:30 PM   #3674
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
Thanks a ton !! I want the mazzei but can't do pressure rated as it will be in sump .

I checked with Jeff and he said mag 18 .So I thought pressure rated isnor important .

Regards,

Abhishek

Yup sounds about right as the maximum air injection occurs around 1650gph according to Jeff for the standard Venturi. So either the fluval sp4, mag 18, or jebao 8-10k will work beautifully. Personally though I would never run a mag drive again as it may be reliable but it sounds like a jet engine lol. I’m not sure how loud the sp4 is but larger ac pumps are not known for being quiet lol. For reference the Jebao 8000 I run on my 24” achieves my goal of ensuring the Venturi and not the pump is the loudest part of the skimmer while maintaining excellent skimming.

Unread 07/03/2018, 07:57 AM   #3675
Yogre
Cheesehead Reefer

I’m currently running the mazzei venturi on my 30” Lifereef. I started with the stock venturi, and I’ve found that the mazzei seems to skim a bit better.

I’m powering this rig with a Mag 18 pump in sump. The first one I had intermittently made a rattling noise, so I tried another one. This one has been much better, it makes a soft hum that’s barely noticeable.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal TBS Reef
Yogre is offline   Reply With Quote