Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/25/2018, 05:49 PM   #1
gonioporagirl
Registered Member

Cheapest lights to grow coral?

I recently upgraded from a biocube to a 90 gallon custom made tank. I have everything set up except the lights. I find that lighting is probably the most expensive part of reefing, and I was wondering what the cheapest type of lighting is that could cover a 5 foot long tank and be able to grow LPS and softies. I don't really care about customization, I just want corals to be able to grow under them. Any info you can provide is appreciated

gonioporagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2018, 05:54 PM   #2
Bpb
Registered Member

Probably a pair of mars aqua lights is about as cheap as it gets for that tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2018, 05:56 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yep..2 of the 165w black box leds or 1 x 300w from Amazon/ebay..
Commonly called Chinese Black Box leds...mars aqua, viparspectra, and many more companies

Unread 09/25/2018, 05:58 PM   #4
Jason9488
Registered Member

I have 2 mars aqua and they are great. Growing sps, Los and zoos with ease

Jason9488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2018, 07:03 PM   #5
cvrle1
Registered Member

These are cheaper than MarsAqua, but a bit better IMO. They are almost identical to ViparSpectra unit (difference being that this one has 2 UV lights, and 2 red LEDs are in a bit of a different spot)

I got these, but havent tried them yet, as I havent started with setup.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLOOMSPECT-...e/332782539617

PS: Dont trust "last one" as it said the same thing when I bought mine. 2 more sold after as you can see.

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2018, 08:24 PM   #6
dabob79
Registered Member

Check out 21ledusa.com. Awesome lights and very affordable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93 gallon rimless cube, Radion LED/T5 Combo, Eshopps sump, Nyos skimmer, Apex controller
dabob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2018, 12:53 AM   #7
CAPT_Dave
Registered Member

I've been running a pair of SB Reef LEDs over my 120 for a year or so. I've had great results with LPS and zoas and pretty good with montis. They're another brand of the Chinese black box lights but they claim to have stricter specs and do seem to be of better quality. For the price, I really like them. Google sbreefs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 120 g mixed reef
CAPT_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2019, 09:33 PM   #8
gentledental4u
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT_Dave View Post
I've been running a pair of SB Reef LEDs over my 120 for a year or so. I've had great results with LPS and zoas and pretty good with montis. They're another brand of the Chinese black box lights but they claim to have stricter specs and do seem to be of better quality. For the price, I really like them. Google sbreefs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
sbreeflights lies about their better quality. i.e. they say they used upgraded heatsinks.. This is not true. IT's the same flat license plate that marsaqua and the others have. Also, their leds do not last a year. If you don't believe me, open up your light and take off the optics. I'm sure you will see nice burned up leds. also, they do not honor their warranties. I have extensive pics and documentation if anyone is considering buying these lights. My advice. Do not buy!!! They are not nice people.

gentledental4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2019, 08:38 AM   #9
Orsamax
Registered Member

If it were me (but its not) I'd go with the Photon V2s. They are made by Mars Aqua (so I hear, but I don't have the proof) but they look to be several steps above. For the price of an AI Hydra 52 you can light up a 5 foot tank with lights that will just about bake any kind of SPS you want to grow. They are very aesthetically pleasing, and they seem to be better constructed than the "black box" variety (though they probably aren't too much better in construction). However, they strike me as a perfect balance between "black box" and something that will last a long time and get the job done. When I upgrade my IM Nuvo 40, these will be the "cheap" lights that I go with, as it looks like you are paying for a quality item that will have more than enough power and the right amount of user interface without having to pay the sticker price of radions, etc...

Unread 04/01/2019, 08:47 AM   #10
Bpb
Registered Member

Cheapest lights to grow coral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsamax View Post
If it were me (but its not) I'd go with the Photon V2s. They are made by Mars Aqua (so I hear, but I don't have the proof) but they look to be several steps above. For the price of an AI Hydra 52 you can light up a 5 foot tank with lights that will just about bake any kind of SPS you want to grow. They are very aesthetically pleasing, and they seem to be better constructed than the "black box" variety (though they probably aren't too much better in construction). However, they strike me as a perfect balance between "black box" and something that will last a long time and get the job done. When I upgrade my IM Nuvo 40, these will be the "cheap" lights that I go with, as it looks like you are paying for a quality item that will have more than enough power and the right amount of user interface without having to pay the sticker price of radions, etc...

Mars Aqua is just a retail brand of the “black box” made by the evergrow light company in China. The photon v2 is an evergrow product also, but sold and serviced by the American based company reef breeders. It uses an updated housing and higher quality diodes than the base level model

Unread 04/01/2019, 09:29 AM   #11
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

30 months, 2 Visparspectra 165watts, love them, well built, super quiet fan.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.7 KB, 52 views)
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2019, 06:21 PM   #12
neoh74
Registered Member

I love my viparspectra also. Just grabbed another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 Viparspectra 165w LEDs
Hydor Smart Wave
neoh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2019, 07:58 AM   #13
lightcycler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
Mars Aqua is just a retail brand of the “black box” made by the evergrow light company in China. The photon v2 is an evergrow product also, but sold and serviced by the American based company reef breeders. It uses an updated housing and higher quality diodes than the base level model

First off hello . I'm coming back into the hobby after a 10 year lay off.
So all that being said are the Photons worth the price difference. Hard to say I'm sure but about double the price?

lightcycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2019, 08:49 AM   #14
Orsamax
Registered Member

"Worth" and "Value" are so subjective Speaking for myself (because its all I CAN do) they seem to be worth the difference to me. I've not had either of them. I've heard (key word, "heard") that bulbs can burn out, etc on the viparspectras and that they don't last more than a year or two (I know users will chime in here, and they should). The value for me is in the aesthetics, better heat dispersion, increased LED wattage (most of the lights on the Photon V2s are 5 watt), and the incrimental better overall construction that I have (only) heard about. I have no dog in the fight, however. In fact, I'd love to be wrong because it would mean that I could get the same value out of cheaper lights. Viparspectra owners, what say you?

Unread 04/02/2019, 08:49 AM   #15
nereefpat
Registered Member

The price difference is because of the options.

With photons, you can control intensity of several colors instead of just blue and white. You can also ramp up different channels throughout the day. And the lights themselves look a little nicer.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2019, 09:10 AM   #16
Bpb
Registered Member

Yes I think it’s worth it

Unread 04/02/2019, 09:53 AM   #17
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

I have a Viparspectra light, and another black box LED that I can't recall the exact brand. I've had them running for 2 years, and 5 years respectively. Have not ever had an issue with either of mine. I do like the Viparspectra because of the built in timers and digital selection of whites and blues intensity. My other black box only has a single power plug, and no built in programming, so I am unable to set blues and whites on separate photo periods. Not a big issue, but If i had to re-buy, I'd get the Viparspectra.

One important note if considering the black box style of LEDs is the wattage is exaggerated. For instance, the "300W" one I have only pulls 200W, and the "165W" one only pulls 110W. They say 300W and 165W because that is the rating of the LEDs, but they do not run them at full power, even with the intensity turned all the way up. A bit misleading, but seems to be the case for all the black box LEDs. I don't know if this is true of the name brand LEDs.

I'd suggest (2) of the 165 watt versions as you can spread them apart more than a single 300W, and cause less shadowing at the ends of the tank.

I have a 300W and a 165W over my 150 gallon and can grow softies, LPS, and SPS just fine. I have growing acros, and a birdsnest that's over 12" in diameter, all grown solely from the black box lights.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2019, 10:11 AM   #18
lightcycler
Registered Member

Awesome information. I'm starting a 75 gallon build and this helps me tremendously .....thanks for the original question gonioporagirl

Unread 04/02/2019, 02:56 PM   #19
dadnjesse
Registered Member

I would get the best lights you can afford, you will be changing them out later if you don't.

dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2019, 03:16 PM   #20
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
I would get the best lights you can afford, you will be changing them out later if you don't.

Much as I hate to say it you’ll likely be doing that anyway even if you bought really nice lights. People get bored with their lights and tend to replace them even when it’s not necessary

Unread 04/03/2019, 10:10 AM   #21
houstonreefer
Registered Member

Those lights are affordable and worth of a try. highly recommend on a budget

houstonreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2019, 11:13 AM   #22
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
Much as I hate to say it you’ll likely be doing that anyway even if you bought really nice lights. People get bored with their lights and tend to replace them even when it’s not necessary
Yep. Which is why Lightcycler ought to at least consider an ATI SunPower fixture. Bulletproof, and no upgrade cycle.

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2019, 11:26 AM   #23
Darth_Tater
Registered Member

I have two ViparSpectra 165s over my 40 breeder and have to be very careful. They're running 40% on both channels and I've fried a few acro frags with them. Pretty sure these things could literally give me a sunburn.

No complaints about them either. The color looks best to me with blue and "other" channels the same intensity. They also seem to look better at higher intensity. Like others have said, my skimmer is FAR louder than all 4 fans running. The built in timer was also a must have for me.

Unread 04/04/2019, 10:18 PM   #24
lightcycler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeller_nc View Post
Yep. Which is why Lightcycler ought to at least consider an ATI SunPower fixture. Bulletproof, and no upgrade cycle.
But going to t5 vs led right? I ran a champion ballast and t5s 10 years ago....some times newer isnt better but gotta think LEDs hold alot of advantage?

Unread 04/04/2019, 10:26 PM   #25
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycler View Post
But going to t5 vs led right? I ran a champion ballast and t5s 10 years ago....some times newer isnt better but gotta think LEDs hold alot of advantage?

They have some advantages. Yes. But not all

Tags
coral, coral growth, corals, lighting, lights