Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/02/2019, 06:05 AM   #101
ReefingHavoc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatBrokeMedic View Post
Wow you have made a lot of progress since I was last on the forum. My room renovations are about done and now I’m in the planning stages for my stand and plumbing. I’m going to make a concrete top for my stand.

Thanks. Concrete top is an interesting approach I’ve never seen. Definitely following along.

ReefingHavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2019, 03:51 AM   #102
Zoahoarder
Registered Member

Tank is looking great.

Zoahoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2019, 05:33 AM   #103
ReefingHavoc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoahoarder View Post
Tank is looking great.

Thanks!

Unread 05/17/2019, 01:52 PM   #104
joshk8711
Registered Member

Looks great! Also from NE Ohio area as well. Currently under construction on my build but I'll be using some of your DIY ideas. I think I need to get my build thread started.

joshk8711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2019, 06:09 AM   #105
ReefingHavoc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshk8711 View Post
Looks great! Also from NE Ohio area as well. Currently under construction on my build but I'll be using some of your DIY ideas. I think I need to get my build thread started.

Start the thread! If nothing else it’s a good way to reflect on progress. A lot of my ideas were adapted from others so there might be someone else you can help by doing it

Unread 05/19/2019, 10:52 AM   #106
Petesxl525reef
Registered Member

First off, great setup! I’m starting a SLOW 120 build myself and had a couple questions - I really like the “floating” canopy, would you mind sharing a copy of the invoice for the 80/20 frame that you used? I’ve tried looking on various 80/20 websites but I’m a little DIY challenged which I’m finding is a huge detriment in this hobby (lots of expensive, poorly mfgd equipment IMO). Second, any sump mfg you would rec’d for an external return pump setup like yours? Thanks again for sharing

Petesxl525reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2019, 07:38 PM   #107
PurpleCarpet
Registered Member

Incredible tank, how much was it to rent a par meter?

PurpleCarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2019, 06:22 AM   #108
ReefingHavoc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCarpet View Post
Incredible tank, how much was it to rent a par meter?

$50 to rent, but there is a several hundred dollar deposit they hold until it’s returned

Thanks

Unread 05/21/2019, 10:05 AM   #109
Petesxl525reef
Registered Member

I think I found everything on the 80/20 website (took a while), thanks again for your ideas

Petesxl525reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2019, 02:27 PM   #110
ReefingHavoc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesxl525reef View Post
I think I found everything on the 80/20 website (took a while), thanks again for your ideas

Glad to hear. I’ll PM you my list so you can compare. One piece of advice, triple check everything as the shipping will kill you if you need to reorder a missing part

Unread 05/21/2019, 02:30 PM   #111
ReefingHavoc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesxl525reef View Post
First off, great setup! I’m starting a SLOW 120 build myself and had a couple questions - I really like the “floating” canopy, would you mind sharing a copy of the invoice for the 80/20 frame that you used? I’ve tried looking on various 80/20 websites but I’m a little DIY challenged which I’m finding is a huge detriment in this hobby (lots of expensive, poorly mfgd equipment IMO). Second, any sump mfg you would rec’d for an external return pump setup like yours? Thanks again for sharing

For the sump, I don’t have experience with sump manufacturers, but you could certainly drill any of them to accommodate an external pump. Drilling acrylic is easier and less stressful than glass IMO.

Unread 07/17/2019, 09:08 PM   #112
ReefingHavoc
Registered Member

Update on the tank.

I began to run into some issues with what I thought was cyano.

After a bit of frustration, I tried two approaches, increase flow and red slime/chemiclean

I upgraded the gyre 230s to the newer 350s. I like the pumps, but it’s only slowing the growth.

I tried blackout followed by red slime remover. Looked like it was gone, but slowly came back. I decided to try chemiclean several weeks later, but that seemed to do nothing.

The only thing I could think of is that something growing in my saltwater storage container was causing problems. Here was the inside of it

The black streaks were actually below the water line. I could also wipe the sides of the container and a slime was on the paper towel. My only thought is that I didn’t thoroughly clean the barrel and something remained that fed bacteria.

My solution, get a proper water storage container. I picked up a norwesco 65 gallon.

One thing I’m trying differently from my old tank is connecting the auto water change line directly to the plumbing that exits the bulkhead on the bottom. I like this setup better than finding a way to run the line through the top of the tank. Only risk is that if that line accidentally gets yanked out I’ve got water shooting out the hole.

If anyone has ideas on how to battle my cyano (maybe it’s not cyano) problem, I’m all ears

Unread 07/26/2019, 10:58 PM   #113
distractor
Registered Member

Get a toy microscope. Could be Dino's!
Impressed with the setup so far though.

distractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2019, 08:52 AM   #114
ReefingHavoc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by distractor View Post
Get a toy microscope. Could be Dino's!
Impressed with the setup so far though.

I’ve been in denial that it might be and putting off getting one. I’m at a point where I think I’m going to have to. Thanks

Unread 08/03/2019, 09:02 AM   #115
ReefingHavoc
Registered Member

Got a microscope and it clearly looks like dino ostreopsis. I’ve read a lot up on it and going with the dirty method to bring up nutrients. Also going to focus on regular manual removal. Corals are all stressed so hoping for some progress now that I know what I’m battling.

Unread 08/04/2019, 06:48 AM   #116
Antics
Registered Member

Love the way you mounted your light!

Antics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2019, 09:28 AM   #117
ReefingHavoc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antics View Post
Love the way you mounted your light!