Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2019, 12:31 PM   #51
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyG View Post
Can you access the rest of the equipment from outside the house?
If you can that means that GHL is already running a web portal for you like Aquatronica.

You would not need port forwarding as the controller itself is contacting the GHL servers and it is opening a connection that the App can access.

If that is the case the dosing pump should just be another device connected to the controller.

If the App cannot remotely connect at all then you have a port forwarding issue.

Rob

The app cant not access the device outside the home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

75 Lee Mar Peninsula Tank, Reef Octo Elite 150, Custom Advanced Acrylic Sump, (2) MP40, Vectra M2 Main Pump, (2) XR15 Pro, Clear Water ATS CW-50, Alkatronic,GHL Doser 2.1, Apex Neptune El with Trident
Johnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2019, 06:56 PM   #52
RobbyG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnic View Post
The app cant not access the device outside the home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Port forwarding issue in that case. Instructions provided should fix the issue.

It's funny I can do a post Quote from this machine but not the one in my home office.

Rob

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2019, 09:28 AM   #53
kenpau
Registered Member

FWIW I’ve run the same Apex module for about 6 years across 3 different systems, it’s never let me down once. Love how easy it makes water changes etc. Also you’re not really putting all your eggs in one basket, in your programming you set the fallback position for every device. So in the unlikely event the apex fails you can set the return pumps to remain on etc

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon mixed reef
kenpau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2019, 10:08 AM   #54
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

since you say you want it, rather than you need it, then you pretty much answered your own question.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2019, 09:29 PM   #55
RobbyG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpau View Post
FWIW I’ve run the same Apex module for about 6 years across 3 different systems, it’s never let me down once. Love how easy it makes water changes etc. Also you’re not really putting all your eggs in one basket, in your programming you set the fallback position for every device. So in the unlikely event the apex fails you can set the return pumps to remain on etc

Fallback programming is fine in most cases, my Aquatronica Powerbars carry it one step further, if you set a plug to come on between 9am and 5pm the plug can be set to continue doing that even if the controller is disconnected. I have learned the hard way that even the best laid out plans in a programming fallback scenario are not a guarantee of success. You really need a completely secondary layer of protection for all critical systems should something unforeseen happen. The simplest example is cooling or heating. My controller controls my chiller but the chiller is first plugged into a Aqua Logic Nema 4X controller first. If the Aquatronica for some reason does not shut down the chiller at 78deg the Nema 4X will shut if off at 76 deg. Ro top off is solenoid controlled via level sensors on the Aquatronica but I also have a mechanical float valve that prevents more than a certain amount of water being added.

I once caught a situation where one of hoses to my calc reactor developed a leak. I don't have a leak sensor near that area so the water was just going down the drain. (My whole sump area is on top of a concrete containment area with drains that go into the houses waste water pipes). Long story short the Ro was compensating and the salinity was dropping. Even my timeout program was useless because the water would come on for 10 seconds and then go off for over a minute. My Salinity alarm eventually went off and that is what saved me. Lesson learned, I incorporated a command that RO top off can only happen if the salinity is above a certain level. Secondly the intake line for the Calc reactor was moved from the bottom of the sump to a point about an inch below the normal water line. Now if it was to leak it could only take an inch of water with it and salinity dilution past a certain point was also blocked.

After a few years I ditched the reactor. Just too many time consuming issues to deal with to keep it running right.

Rob

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
Unread 09/19/2019, 12:58 AM   #56
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Regarding Neptune and Apex, I run a classic Apex system. I’m mostly very happy with it. However, the last time I updated the firmware it bricked the brain. So now I just never update the firmware. I have a friend with a complicated system who has had a lot of problems. I’ve found it’s best to hope for the best but plan for the worst. All in all, even with the trouble I’ve had, I’m happy with it because of what I’m able to do with it.

I do however wish they had stuck to just controllers. It was really nice when they played nicely with Ecotech. Integration stopped at the Vectra pump I believe.

Mr. Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2019, 10:49 PM   #57
RobbyG
Registered Member

It stopped before the Vectra. I don't think any controller can control the Vectra.

Unread 09/20/2019, 12:09 AM   #58
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

That’s what I meant.

Mr. Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote