Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/28/2019, 02:52 PM   #1
JennyFlow
Registered Member

Extracting bacteria from Live Rock

So I'm new but had an idea, wondering if anyone has done it or has thoughts. People debate dry vs live rock and lots of the live rock proponents talk about all the beneficial bacteria that come with live rock.

What if I placed live rock from say FL in a container with some powerheads, then drained that water through a filter sock, which would mostly just allow the bacteria through. If I then took that bacteria laden water and placed dead rock in there, could this work?

I just dont want hitchhikers, I also thought maybe adding some small pieces of the rock that I could go over with a fine tooth comb. are there things that would be considered pests that could come through the sock, tiny pieces of algae maybe? Or are most of the pests people talk about larger? Thoughts?

JennyFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2019, 05:06 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Very little bacteria is free floating in the water..most is surface dwelling...
Your plan wont work too well...

IMO hitchhikers are the best part of this hobby...and are rarely a problem..too many spend too much time/energy avoiding them..
Stop worrying about them..

Unread 09/28/2019, 06:48 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

And the most useful bacteria is deep in the rock in the low oxygen areas and is certainly not something you can extract

Unread 09/28/2019, 07:06 PM   #4
Daddi0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyFlow View Post
So I'm new but had an idea, wondering if anyone has done it or has thoughts. People debate dry vs live rock and lots of the live rock proponents talk about all the beneficial bacteria that come with live rock.

What if I placed live rock from say FL in a container with some powerheads, then drained that water through a filter sock, which would mostly just allow the bacteria through. If I then took that bacteria laden water and placed dead rock in there, could this work?

I just dont want hitchhikers, I also thought maybe adding some small pieces of the rock that I could go over with a fine tooth comb. are there things that would be considered pests that could come through the sock, tiny pieces of algae maybe? Or are most of the pests people talk about larger? Thoughts?
Just buy a bottle of bacteria

Unread 09/28/2019, 08:17 PM   #5
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Fritz Turbostart 900 will get your tank cycled in few days.

Plan you present will not work due to reasons already posted above.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2019, 10:31 AM   #6
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Interesting idea. You could give it a try. I'm not sure you'll be able to tell whether it is successful or not. I would think you would get some bacteria. I would also think that many things you don't want could make it through as well. So it may defeat the purpose.

I like farmed live rock from Florida, and don't fear hitchhikers. I'll take that risk over phosphate loaded dry rock any day.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2019, 11:46 AM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Very little bacteria is free floating in the water..most is surface dwelling...
Your plan wont work too well...

IMO hitchhikers are the best part of this hobby...and are rarely a problem..too many spend too much time/energy avoiding them..
Stop worrying about them..
This...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2019, 11:57 AM   #8
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
And the most useful bacteria is deep in the rock in the low oxygen areas and is certainly not something you can extract
... and this.

And the regular surface bacteria can already be bought in bottled form.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2019, 09:43 PM   #9
Sk8r
RC Mod

Back in the day, we started tanks with raw rock, raw sand and a gallon of dirty water donated by the lfs. Worked. Worked quite well, in fact: carpet anemone took half the tank by Christmas, and the two clowns were happy. I don't recommend it, because any parasites in the store will come home with you, but yes, the discard water from any healthy tank (or unhealthy one) is capable of starting a tank's biology. Not instantly, however. It took an 8 week wait for it to enliven.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote