Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2021, 04:49 PM   #351
vlangel
Registered Member

Today I cleaned up the display tank of straggler caulerpa and also some bubble algae. The bubble algae has not been as bad as it has in the past probably because the caulerpa is hogging up all the nutrients.

I also saw some neon trumpet flesh so I moved the frag to a new location totally away from the Medusa curlique nem! Hopefully it is not damaged beyond repair. At least it has a chance.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2021, 04:58 PM   #352
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'll cross my fingers for the neon trumpet. Grow trumpet! You get caulerpa stragglers too?

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2021, 05:34 PM   #353
vlangel
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/uS160Iz_nCc
A video of the display that I took tonight.

Yes I get stragglers of caulerpa but it was my own fault. I put a clump of caulerpa in the display when I first got Tommy.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 02/18/2021, 05:40 PM   #354
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Nice video. I could watch that for hours! You've got a great fish/coral/macro/invertebrate community going on there. Tank looks great too.

Unread 02/19/2021, 07:15 AM   #355
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Nice video. I could watch that for hours! You've got a great fish/coral/macro/invertebrate community going on there. Tank looks great too.
Thanks Michael. I also feel that way and last night and this morning with the tank all cleaned up it is so satisfying just chillin' on the sofa and watching everything. It almost makes me so content that I don't think of making any future changes, LOL.

Unread 02/19/2021, 10:40 AM   #356
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's a good feeling. When you can't think of anything to change. Enjoy!

Unread 02/19/2021, 12:57 PM   #357
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Tank is rockin! Does the cleaner shrimp clean some of your fish, or are they too small? I'm guessing Tommy is a client.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2021, 03:09 PM   #358
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
That's a good feeling. When you can't think of anything to change. Enjoy!
It is a good feeling but eventually I will see something that I want different. That seems to be in the DNA of most of us aquarists, LOL!

Unread 02/19/2021, 03:15 PM   #359
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple12 View Post
Tank is rockin! Does the cleaner shrimp clean some of your fish, or are they too small? I'm guessing Tommy is a client.
Thank you ThePurple! The cleaner shrimp often cleaned Marmalade. That is why I think Marmalade succumbed to disease/parasites. I suspect Marmalade had a problem before I got Tommy but then the harassment stressed the blenny to the point where the disease got a foothold.

Anyway I have never noticed any of the other fish being cleaned, not even Tommy. I know a lot of tangs can be ich magnets but Tommy shows no signs, not does anyone else. Which is surprising considering how many fish I have.

Unread 02/19/2021, 03:27 PM   #360
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It's a nice feeling, but it's only temporary! Knowing how you like to tinker, you'll be ready to change something soon. Me too. But it is nice to relax and enjoy occasionally, especially when everything is just so.

Didn't you mention adding some shoal grass to your display? That sounds fun!

Unread 02/19/2021, 04:59 PM   #361
vlangel
Registered Member

Yes, I did mention adding some shoal grass to the display. I will wait for the seagrass to get well established in the fuge first. Doing that also means relocating the feather duster garden down into the left front corner so the shoal grass can have use of the DSB. I hate to disturb the feather dusters for now so this is probably a change that is a couple of years away yet.

However, today Dave and I started on an equipment change! We are adapting my 24" Coralife Quad T5 fixture to go over the refugium. I believe the shoal grass could do better with better light. The refugium is an extra tall tank and I do not think the cheap par 30 LEDs have enough intensity for the seagrass. They are fine for the macro algae but I decided to cater to the grass. I bought that fixture for that tank but now with the drain coming in it and my DIY overflow the Coralife fixture cannot use the legs to stand on the tank. We are adapting it to be suspended. My poor husband!

Unread 02/19/2021, 05:41 PM   #362
vlangel
Registered Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mPxi8YQ28vhac9Ek7
You can see the new eye bolts now in the top of the Coralife fixture. Dave helped me take the fixture apart enough so that none of the wiring was damaged by the eye bolts.

Unread 02/19/2021, 06:55 PM   #363
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Adding shoal grass to your display sounds way cool! They'll move nicely in the current. I could send you some more, as I'm thinking I need to thin mine out.

Great idea on the fixture upgrade. Slick setup! I think the shoal grass will enjoy that lighting a lot. Can't wait to see it up and running!

So much for couch time!

Unread 02/20/2021, 09:30 AM   #364
vlangel
Registered Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aYHtW4ZHDniyTymx6

Unread 02/20/2021, 09:59 AM   #365
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Nice job on the light. Is it hanging from the ceiling or an arm setup? Can we get a pic of how it looks in the tank?

Unread 02/20/2021, 10:16 AM   #366
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice job on the light. Is it hanging from the ceiling or an arm setup? Can we get a pic of how it looks in the tank?
Thanks Michael. It hangs from the ceiling. Dave had to put a 2 x 4 between joices to hang it. I am handy but this job was definitely one that I needed Dave's help.
Yes, when I clean the tank up I will take a pic of that too. It does not look as bright to my eye as I hoped but the bulbs are old. I hope to buy new ones even today.

Thank you for the offer of more shoal grass. I think when you are ready to thin out that I will take you up on the offer. I want to send you some photosynthetic sponge too, packaged better than before so you actually get some!

Unread 02/20/2021, 10:30 AM   #367
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I know what you mean with old bulbs. I was looking at my tank yesterday and I noticed there were no glitter lines anymore. I'll try to remember to wipe down the bulb and reflector tonight after it turns off. It could also be water clarity. I haven't run charcoal in awhile, or done a water change in quite some time.

I'm on my second cup of tea to work up some gumption, so I may have some shoal grass to get rid of! I look forward to getting that sponge, but there's no rush.

I look forward to seeing how your fuge is doing!

Unread 02/20/2021, 02:07 PM   #368
vlangel
Registered Member

Here is a FTS.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rwowJ3oGYAywTcAXA
Here is a close up of the conch and seagrass.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y5WNyDzrB36bLzW5A
Finally a view from the front.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/g7LoNxpiMZ6An33S6

Unread 02/20/2021, 02:17 PM   #369
vlangel
Registered Member

I order 3 new bulbs from Amazon which should be here Tuesday. I usually buy gift cards from our grocery store and get grocery/fuel incentives. I misjudged how much the bulbs would cost so could only buy 3, ha ha! Actually I should acclimate the plants and macros slowly anyway.

Like you Michael, I have not run carbon in probably a month and a half so I should probably do that too.

Unread 02/20/2021, 02:50 PM   #370
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That FTS really shows a bright, even distribution of light. Your Conch appears to be a different species from mine, which isn't surprising really. The Shoal Grass looks good. You need more! Those reds just keep on growing, don't they? Is that Gracilaria Hayi and Botriocladia? That tank is coming along nicely. I have no doubt you'll turn it into a showpiece. Great pics!

Unread 02/20/2021, 06:27 PM   #371
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Beautiful! Is there a story behind those bubble tip anemones in the fuge?

Unread 02/21/2021, 06:50 AM   #372
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
That FTS really shows a bright, even distribution of light. Your Conch appears to be a different species from mine, which isn't surprising really. The Shoal Grass looks good. You need more! Those reds just keep on growing, don't they? Is that Gracilaria Hayi and Botriocladia? That tank is coming along nicely. I have no doubt you'll turn it into a showpiece. Great pics!
Yes, the lighting of T5s is always very evenly distributed and T5s are known to reflect back off the sand. Sadly they do not shimmer like LEDs or metal halide however. I bought this fixture just for that tank so it's a good fit.

This is my first conch ever so I am totally unfamiliar with the different species. How is my conch different?

Yes, I believe you are correct about what species of red macro I have. I am a bit concerned that the botriocladia will not fare as well with more light. It does not do as well in my display and I had decided that the more intense light was probably why. The grasilaria hayi will probably do fine however either way. I have had excellent luck with it, both in high and lower light.

I really want the shoal grass to thrive however. Do you think if I add a small power head for flow through the grass that that would help? The flow through the fuge is relatively slow, only about 400 gph. Rio makes both a 50 and a 90 gph power head that would add fairly gentle flow through the seagrass.

Unread 02/21/2021, 07:00 AM   #373
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple12 View Post
Beautiful! Is there a story behind those bubble tip anemones in the fuge?
You have sharp eyes ThePurple! Yes, there is a story, LOL. When I added a single bubble tip nem to my display, I did not want it walking around stinging coral or inadvertantly finding my power head; so I placed it up on the tabling acro skeleton, (which just happened to be near the overflow). Much to my pleasure the BTA liked that placement and has stayed there. However as BTAs often do, it has divided a few times and the new BTAs have released and apparently got swept into the overflow and made their way down into the fuge. Yesterday I discovered that their is a 3rd one down there! Perhaps I should just move the original one down there too, as my captive bred occelaris clown has absolutely no interest in it anyway.

Unread 02/21/2021, 07:02 AM   #374
ThePurple12
Registered Member

I’ve also wondered about flow for seagrass. I assumed it doesn’t really matter, but I haven’t done anything to find out if that’s true.

Unread 02/21/2021, 07:03 AM   #375
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Wow, swept down the overflow!