Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 12/22/2009, 04:36 PM   #426
reefkeeper2
Registered Member

I agree, the bioload of the system should determine how many pellets you need. How is anyone to judge that though? Since my tank is 427 gal, that is probably the number I should use instead of the total water volume of the system.

Current Tank Info: Envisions 427gal
Unread 12/22/2009, 05:54 PM   #427
teesquare
Coral Curmudgeon

I should have more specific -
I am thinking that the amount of tested Phosphate and/or Nitrate should be the critical piece of evidence which helps determine the correct volume of the the NP Pellets.

Make sense to you?

T

Current Tank Info: 700 gallon combined reef/frag systems - 650gal Cichlid system
Unread 12/22/2009, 06:34 PM   #428
reefkeeper2
Registered Member

I see what you mean, but I don't entirely agree. A 50gal reef with a nitrate level of 20ppm should not need as many pellets as a 200gal reef with a nitrate level of 20ppm. Even though the test results are the same, the 200gal reef has a much higher bioload with it's many more corals and fish putting out much more waste. It needs a larger bacterial population to metabolize that waste.
Right now in my tank the phosphates and nitrates are near undetectable. This is because I dose 26ml of vodka daily, and use GFO and lanthanum to help with the phosphates. If I stop dosing, I will need to have a bacterial population growing on the pellets large enough to do the same job. I would have to continue with the phosphate control measures regardless.

Unread 12/22/2009, 06:51 PM   #429
teesquare
Coral Curmudgeon

Once again I have clearly demonstrated that my fingers don't always do what my brain tells them to do!

As part of the formula for quanity or volume of NP Pellets - why not take the PO4 and Nitrate readings, and based on the volume of water to remove that amount of PO4 and N from....develop a formula which is a more salient approach than just an arbitrary number of "so much per gallon".
*IF* the manufacturer or the distributors are watching - PLEASE consider this approach. It makes your product a better value if we can utilize it without waste, and likewise get all of the benefit from it by "sizing" it properly to the demand of each system according to its needs.
T

Current Tank Info: 700 gallon combined reef/frag systems - 650gal Cichlid system
Unread 12/22/2009, 07:01 PM   #430
reefkeeper2
Registered Member

Thats sounds like a good approach.

Unread 12/22/2009, 07:08 PM   #431
teesquare
Coral Curmudgeon

I am glad my brain cramp was worth it

Certainly took me enough efforts to verbalize what was "rattling around in the attic!"

T

Unread 12/23/2009, 10:45 PM   #432
itachi
Registered Member

I just put my bio pellets to use after holding them for a couple weeks .. .Here's a video of my setup. Running 2L of pellets in a nextreef MR1 XL.

On a 240G display + 350G total volume

Unread 12/23/2009, 11:15 PM   #433
magnoliarichj
Registered Member

i have had mine in for about 5 weeks... every thing is doing great. i do notice my skimmer is filled every 3-4 days. there is a clear slime on all my equipment and i have to clean my glass every other day.

Unread 12/24/2009, 09:52 PM   #434
minireef30
Registered Member

How much will I need for a total of 40 gallons, lightly stocked tank?

Unread 12/25/2009, 04:46 AM   #435
tntneon
SPSahollic

Quote:
Originally Posted by minireef30 View Post
How much will I need for a total of 40 gallons, lightly stocked tank?
-you can start out with about 300 gr of BP and over time you could increase it safely to 500 gr BP.

greetingzz tntneon

Current Tank Info: 154 G SPS dominated + 25 G sump ; lighting : 210 W LED XPG/XRE (sunrise) + 150 W T5 (bl+ , 15°K , fiji , bl+) ; skimmer : Royal Exclusive supermarine 200 ; BM 3-Ch dosing pump (CA/ ALk and top-off) ; tunze 6085 circulation
Unread 12/25/2009, 04:49 AM   #436
tntneon
SPSahollic

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliarichj View Post
i have had mine in for about 5 weeks... every thing is doing great. i do notice my skimmer is filled every 3-4 days. there is a clear slime on all my equipment and i have to clean my glass every other day.
Do you mean cleaning glass of display , or sleaning sump glass ?

I now can wait 3 to 4 days to clean my display glass.
i notice a white film is coating my BP overflow canister (bacteria) , else i don`t have any bacterial films or coatings.

greetingzz tntneon

Current Tank Info: 154 G SPS dominated + 25 G sump ; lighting : 210 W LED XPG/XRE (sunrise) + 150 W T5 (bl+ , 15°K , fiji , bl+) ; skimmer : Royal Exclusive supermarine 200 ; BM 3-Ch dosing pump (CA/ ALk and top-off) ; tunze 6085 circulation
Unread 12/25/2009, 10:33 AM   #437
catman78
Registered Member

Just started with 500 gr in my 120.

For those using Phosban reactor I have a question.
I'm using a 550 reactor with a maxi-jet 1200 @ running at around 80% capacity with ball valve adjustment.

Are the pellets supposed to be tumbling at the bottom of the reactor?

Mine are pushed to the top.

Unread 12/27/2009, 06:47 AM   #438
catman78
Registered Member

Tumbling now. Seems like they were clumped together @ first.
Perhaps I should have rinsed them first.

Will report back with findings. Started backing off Vodka, personally... along with tank.

Unread 12/27/2009, 10:25 PM   #439
7hogwarts
Registered Member

Other than expense. Since the bacteria colonizes and the pellets are consumed at different rates. Would it really matter if you put too much of the pellets in?

Unread 12/28/2009, 12:00 AM   #440
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

It might. They provide a carbon source which likely will permeate the tank. Too much may create too many bacteria.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
Unread 12/28/2009, 07:48 AM   #441
kentrob11
Premium Member

Question....I recently built the sump below and have 2 active flow canisters built in for use with carbon. 100% of the water goes through them and the flow will be about 500gph. Could I simply put these biopellets in one of the canisters instead of carbon in both? Would the flow through be enough? They are made of 4" diameter acrylic tube and are about 6" tall.

Unread 12/28/2009, 08:29 AM   #442
tntneon
SPSahollic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentrob11 View Post
Question....I recently built the sump below and have 2 active flow canisters built in for use with carbon. 100% of the water goes through them and the flow will be about 500gph. Could I simply put these biopellets in one of the canisters instead of carbon in both? Would the flow through be enough? They are made of 4" diameter acrylic tube and are about 6" tall.

If the flow enters from the bottom i would place a mesh on top that the BP won`t flow over the edge of the canister or try with a lower flow and build the flow up untill the pellets are tumbling around w/o leaving the canister.
500 G/h will be enough , it also depends on how much pellets your gonna use.

Sweet sump you have there !!

greetingzz tntneon

Unread 12/28/2009, 09:08 AM   #443
kentrob11
Premium Member

Thanks! Actually there will be screen on the bottom and top of both canisters so that shouldn't be a problem. I just didn't have it installed in the picture. That video above is neat!

Unread 12/28/2009, 07:03 PM   #444
danrobberg
Registered Member

anyone run these in a brs jumbo reactor?

Unread 12/29/2009, 08:13 AM   #445
7hogwarts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teesquare View Post
Once again I have clearly demonstrated that my fingers don't always do what my brain tells them to do!

As part of the formula for quanity or volume of NP Pellets - why not take the PO4 and Nitrate readings, and based on the volume of water to remove that amount of PO4 and N from....develop a formula which is a more salient approach than just an arbitrary number of "so much per gallon".
*IF* the manufacturer or the distributors are watching - PLEASE consider this approach. It makes your product a better value if we can utilize it without waste, and likewise get all of the benefit from it by "sizing" it properly to the demand of each system according to its needs.
T
I like this idea!!! It would seem there should be a calculator developed for this. It would also aid in when and how much should be added to existing systems using the pellets.

Unread 12/29/2009, 08:22 AM   #446
teesquare
Coral Curmudgeon

Thanks for the recognition! I only have one good idea about every six months -so please- somebody grab a camera and let's record this!

Seriously - thanks!
T

Unread 12/29/2009, 10:44 PM   #447
danrobberg
Registered Member

can i run the pellets in a sulfur denitrator instead of the sulfur. would they do better in that type of reactor that recirculates the water instead of the water just passing through very rapidly. normaly the water would have a very small amount of time in contact with the pellets. in a sulfur denitrator type reactor the water would have a much longer contact time with the pellets. does this makes sense?

Unread 12/30/2009, 06:42 AM   #448
NaClH2Opgh
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hogwarts View Post
I like this idea!!! It would seem there should be a calculator developed for this. It would also aid in when and how much should be added to existing systems using the pellets.
I agree that would be a great idea but I honestly don't think even they have any idea how much N and P X amount of pellets will remove from a given volume of water. You could have 5 systems with the same water volume and same N and P readings but you also have to consider amount of live rock, sand, # of fish, feeding (amount and frequency), skimmer and also water changes. So each system would have a different amount.

Unread 12/30/2009, 07:55 AM   #449
teesquare
Coral Curmudgeon

Granted - there will be variations in the "active load" ( food consumers - fish,aneomes and corals that must be fed) and the normal "consumption rate" of N and P...
But as those are already inadequate in a given system considering the use of theses pellets - or there is a shortfall on the part of the hobbyist with over-feeding, lack of proper maintenance etc. I guess what I am syaing is regardless of the cause - It would help both the maker of the product and the end user to have a "range" of amount of pellets per "X" parts per million per "x" numer of gallons.

Really, shouldn't we look at products like NP pellets, and GFO in a similar fashion - as far as guaging the right amount needed on each system?
T

Unread 12/30/2009, 08:18 AM   #450
NaClH2Opgh
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by teesquare View Post
Granted - there will be variations in the "active load" ( food consumers - fish,aneomes and corals that must be fed) and the normal "consumption rate" of N and P...
But as those are already inadequate in a given system considering the use of theses pellets - or there is a shortfall on the part of the hobbyist with over-feeding, lack of proper maintenance etc. I guess what I am syaing is regardless of the cause - It would help both the maker of the product and the end user to have a "range" of amount of pellets per "X" parts per million per "x" numer of gallons.

Really, shouldn't we look at products like NP pellets, and GFO in a similar fashion - as far as guaging the right amount needed on each system?
T
I am not disagreeing with you simply saying there is no formula. You should just start low, increase, test, adjust....repeat for your specific system. Remember the old watts per gallon rule for lighting; simply too many other factors involved to have a formula that actually works. When I used GFO in the past I didn't use what they said because of $. I started with a small amount then tested and added more until my P came down. Especially something like these pellets are too new.

"But as those are already inadequate in a given system considering the use of theses pellets" -- I agree 100% but still doesn't change the fact that these factors make each system different and affect the amount of pellets you should use. Those factors that are inadequate in my system might be sufficient in yours even though we had the same water volume.

This is a hobby that involves tweeking and guessing. Again, I agree it would be nice, just not possible IMO.

Closed Thread