Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 09/06/2007, 01:16 PM   #976
Reefmack
Moved On

Hi Titans - I think my stuff from RSM has always arrived within a week or less - fans, a pump, thermometer. They've been pretty good at getting stuff out quickly. I've never had to do the receipt thing - that may be something new they started to keep from getting ripped off by non-owners.

No notification it was shipped - it just shows up.

Old 09/06/2007, 01:48 PM   #977
michaelaz
Registered Member

Yeah, there must a blackmarket for RSM parts out there LOL

Old 09/06/2007, 01:57 PM   #978
Titans
Registered Member

Cool thanks...You got a thermometer with your RSM? Was that part of the starter kit or the tank itself?

Old 09/06/2007, 02:17 PM   #979
Reefmack
Moved On

Ooooooooooops - I meant a replacement heater, not a thermometer! Sorry about the confusion.

Old 09/06/2007, 07:28 PM   #980
glalderman
Registered Member

Reefmack...empty out your Inbox dude!!! Anyway...guess your PM had to do with the RSM so I will post it here for all...

OK...I couldn't figure why I was having a problem with one of my Zoa Colonies...then I found a gap between my MH glass and the moonlite plate...think UV rays were going through the gap and "sunburning" my Zoa's in a very distinct line throught the coral...

now...my PM to reefmack...

just got the Kent 2-part the other day...have not started with it yet...but not sure if I am going to use everyday or not...pretty sure I will use it everyday in the tank at work considering I have 3 clams in a 12g tank! BTW...they are doing AWESOME with the 150w MH light...

here is a picture of the Zoa's that have the damage...they actually are already starting to open some on the right hand side after fixing the gap in the light!

Hopefully they will completely recover...

OK...Now...here is a 1 month old picture right after I put in the coral I bought off a local guy...Majano, Aiptasia and all! YUCK! didn't realize it was so infested!

now a picture after my first "Killing Spree"!

NOW...here they are taken a few minutes ago...I can't believe the difference after only a month...notice that my Mated Percs have taken up residence the orange/red Zoa's...the Zoa's don't seem to mind and don't retract at all anymore to the percs touch...

I am pretty sure at the rate of yellow polyp growth that last little bit on the left will be covered this time next week...

Greg

Old 09/06/2007, 08:12 PM   #981
Titans
Registered Member

The long green grass stuff is called yellow polyps? Looks very nice...i'm adding that to my list of live stock!!! =)

Question:
I've been testing my salinity as my water level drops down and it seems it went from 1.024 to 1.023 @ 80 degrees. The water level has dropped by a 1/4th of an inch. Isn't supposed to increase due to higher salt concentrations? Reason i'm asking is because maybe my hydrometer is just screwy.

Old 09/06/2007, 08:33 PM   #982
glalderman
Registered Member

Titans...color is a little off...they are very yellow in person...

From what I understand about the Yellow Polyps is that in some cases (like mine!) they grow very fast and take over the tank like Xenia can...so far mine have only been growing on the rock they came on...haven't jumped ship yet...

What you can't see in the pic of the red Zoa's is that they are filling in VERY well on the back side of the rock also...next couple of months that should be just one big red rock!

Greg

Last edited by glalderman; 09/06/2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09/06/2007, 08:39 PM   #983
MAXreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Titans
The long green grass stuff is called yellow polyps? Looks very nice...i'm adding that to my list of live stock!!! =)

Question:
I've been testing my salinity as my water level drops down and it seems it went from 1.024 to 1.023 @ 80 degrees. The water level has dropped by a 1/4th of an inch. Isn't supposed to increase due to higher salt concentrations? Reason i'm asking is because maybe my hydrometer is just screwy.
Yes. Salinity should increase when the water level drops due to evaporation. That's the reason we top off with fresh water.
Are you using a simple hydrometer or a refractometer?
Hydrometer are not always very accurate. Many factors can screw up the readings.

Michael

Current Tank Info: Elos Mini and soon an Elos 120
Old 09/06/2007, 08:47 PM   #984
Titans
Registered Member

Gladerman - I see thanks for the info =)

Maxreefer - I'm using a hydrometer. I have a jug full of the saltwater I used. I tested the saltwater straight up from the jug and it is reading between 1.024-1.025 using the hydrometer. I topped off the tank with more salt after seeing the lower reading earlier now it's reading a little bit above 1.023 from the tank. Either way I was planning on buying my first inhabitants (CUC) tomorrow to clean up some algae before I start adding fish...is this salinity safe?

Old 09/06/2007, 08:51 PM   #985
Reefmack
Moved On

glalderman (and jalbert) - sorry about the inbox being full. I didn't realize I had built up so many. The storage limit doesn't appear to be a very high number. I deleted them all from my in & outbox.

glalderman - I was just commenting about the zoas in my PM to you. In my case, the one little colony of green zoas that appeared to have died off has a half dozen showing up again since I put the metal halide fixture on. But that pic of yours is really graphic evidence of what an covered MH lamp can do! The yellow polyps look awesome. Mine are just starting to multiply again after scraping some algae off the rock they're on, plus I think my peppermint shrimp may have been munching on them before I moved the rock - I've heard that the peppermints may think they resemble aiptasia and eat them.

Titans - the salinity dropping after water evaporation doesn't seem right at all. As you said the reverse should happen. I'd suspect the hydrometer. I found the hydrometers a pain to use so I got a refractometer and I find it a lot easier (almost fun) to test salinity with it, and I trust it more also.

Old 09/06/2007, 09:00 PM   #986
Reefmack
Moved On

Titans - I used to run at 1.023 for quite a while - no problem. I did end up gradually increasing to over time via water changes to 1.025.

Glalderman - have you cut back any xenia yet? I'm tempted to hack a big hunk off that has now totally detatched from the original and the branches waving back & forth are annoying the heck out of a little piece of pink stylophora SPS up on the top. It'll probably just grow back from the flesh left on the rock, but it's getting out of control. I really prefer my low/slow growing pom pom xenia over that stalky weed type.

Old 09/06/2007, 09:01 PM   #987
glalderman
Registered Member

Reefmack...I was told today that your sent folder might also count towards your limit to...I went to mine and found a ton of sent PM's...

Greg

Old 09/06/2007, 09:03 PM   #988
Reefmack
Moved On

Yep - I deleted both in and out box messages.

Old 09/06/2007, 09:07 PM   #989
glalderman
Registered Member

No...I haven't cut any back...I have a bunch to cut...been waiting to get the frag tank set up...which it is now...so maybe this weekend...have been reading up on fragging...need to frag all 3 of my Sinularia's also...

I also have a stray green mushroom that left the rock with the other 2 larger mushrooms...thought I might try to cut that lone mushroom up in to 4 or 6 pieces while I am fragging stuff...

Old 09/06/2007, 09:27 PM   #990
lumcrystal
Registered Member

Your post is in violation of the terms and conditions of use of this web site and has been edited. Further violations will result in revocation of your posting privileges.

Last edited by billsreef; 09/06/2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09/06/2007, 09:44 PM   #991
mako56
Premium Member

Great looking Zoos Gladerman. Whats the secret?

Mike

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon, 260# live rock, 180# live sand, 75 gallon sump(half full), ASM G-4 skimmer, Korallin C1502 reactor, Sequence Barracuda closed loop, OM 8-way, Quietone return, three Ushio 250 watt de MH's and two 110 watt VHO's actinics. 34 g. Red Sea Max
Old 09/06/2007, 09:53 PM   #992
glalderman
Registered Member

Have no idea...I also have a couple of frags that were doing great and then just started to go south...and like reefmack I am just waiting it out with those 2...but unlike Reefmacks (correct me if I am wrong reefmack) these frags are not just not opening...they are shrinking away????? The one that is the worst in now on 3 separate frag disks and sitting in my frag tank...hopefully they will recover and take off on 3 disks....

Old 09/06/2007, 10:19 PM   #993
MAXreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lumcrystal
Your post is in violation of the terms and conditions of use of this web site and has been edited. Further violations will result in revocation of your posting privileges.
Thank you Moderator to delete this posting.
No need for commercial advertisements here

Thanks
Michael

Old 09/06/2007, 10:20 PM   #994
Titans
Registered Member

Here is Day 5 after I completed my aquascape:

Now currently at Day 15...sand has turned brownish/yellowish from the algae and the rocks are covered with a thin brown and green grass algae =/

Now a better perspective with lights lights off...yuck!!!

I cut down my lights from 12 during cycle to 7 hours a day and now i'm trying to run it at 6 hours a day to impede growth. I have it set for 3 hours on then 1 hour off and another 3 hours on. When I throw in the CUC will they be affected by this lighting schedule? I just read somewhere that giving an hour of no light in mid day will cut photosynthesis for algae and not bother corals much although I have none.

Old 09/06/2007, 10:37 PM   #995
Tylt33
Registered Member

Finally Rockin'

So I finally have my Red Sea Max assembled, live sand and rock in place. A few things I've noticed:

1. Bristle worms are absolutely disgusting.
2. Sea water smalls terrible when it begins to get moldy on a towel.

My roommate hates the airconditioner, and our house is getting up to about 90 degrees in the day. I need a chiller. Is there a chiller that is popular for our tank? I don't even know how they work, so I want something simple and easy to assemble. I hear I need a pump or something as well?

I'd search more on this thread but I have a satellite internet connection which reminds me of my 2400 baud modem that I had when I was 11.

Old 09/06/2007, 10:39 PM   #996
michaelaz
Registered Member

Well I unpacked the Tunze tonight, and have taken pics but Reefmack or Josh I need your help, where do I mount the Tunze ? I thought the pane of glass next to heater but that seems like I wont be able to get the water level

Can you guys help with this ???

Old 09/06/2007, 10:45 PM   #997
MAXreefer
Registered Member

Titans:

Aquascaping looks nice. Plenty of space to put your corals and hiding places for your fish.
Good job.

Your tank is cycling. You will go through all those stages of brown and green algae.
Once you have your CUC in your tank they will take care of a lot also.

7-8 hours is a good average.
I won't disagree with turning lights off for 1 hour during the day as I never tried it out but me personally prefer to keep the normal day/night cycle as it is in nature.
I have all my lights of during the night. Then very early in the morning the moonlights and after a couple hours the T5 lights. In the evening when the T5 lights go off the moonlights stay on for a couple hours and then everything shuts down.
Just my personal feeling here

Michael
MAXreefer

Old 09/06/2007, 11:02 PM   #998
MAXreefer
Registered Member

Re: Finally Rockin'

Quote:
Originally posted by Tylt33

My roommate hates the airconditioner, and our house is getting up to about 90 degrees in the day. I need a chiller. Is there a chiller that is popular for our tank? I don't even know how they work, so I want something simple and easy to assemble. I hear I need a pump or something as well?

I'd search more on this thread but I have a satellite internet connection which reminds me of my 2400 baud modem that I had when I was 11.
Tylt33:
Welcome to the club and good luck with your setup...

How hot gets your RSM when all the lights are on and the pumps are running?

If it goes over 80 you might need a chiller. The ones that meet our needs are between $230 and $260. Of course you can get more expensive ones but not really necessary.
Popular are the Current USA Prime 1/15 and the Nano Arctica Chillers.
Technically you can place them in the cabinet under the RSM but chillers need a lot of ventilation so it is not the best place. Most people place them directly next to the cabinet on the floor. You need to get a small pump and some tubing also to pump the water back up in the tank.
Sounds complicated but it is actually quite easy to install. If you decide to get one I can give you more details.

Michael
MAXreefer

Old 09/06/2007, 11:09 PM   #999
Titans
Registered Member

Re: Finally Rockin'

Thanks for the response maxreefer. I'll give it a shot with the CUC and return the lighting schedule to normal once the job is done.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tylt33
So I finally have my Red Sea Max assembled, live sand and rock in place. A few things I've noticed:

1. Bristle worms are absolutely disgusting.
2. Sea water smalls terrible when it begins to get moldy on a towel.

Congrats on your purchase =) As for the chiller you would need at least a 1/15 but I personally went with a 1/10 because it was on sale for the same price as a 1/15 and will run much less and chill the water faster. Mine was a cheaper brand called Aqua Euro USA and it comes with a 1 year warranty but i'm sure there are much more reliable dependable brands out there. It will have to be placed in the open to allow adequate air circulation. My chiller recommends 2 feet in the front, back and sides and a ambient temp of less than 95 degrees so no putting it inside your stand or closet to hide it =/.

For the return pump another RSM reefer and I use a MaxiJet 1200 placed in the middle chamber between the heater compartment and skimmer (so essentially to the left of the skimmer in the skimmer chamber). The return flow from the chiller is dumped off into the heater chamber. This is how I have it setup due to suggestions from others in this this thread and it works great!!! Let me know if you need help...I was so lost and confused when I set mine up especially on learning that the pump actually pushes water to the chiller instead of pulling water from it =) Made a world of difference.

Old 09/06/2007, 11:09 PM   #1000
JohnL
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1201445

Closed Thread