Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/27/2006, 08:01 PM   #1
Justjoe
Registered Member

LIRA visitors to Atlantis overview

Hey,
This has recently come up so I thought I'd post for all LIRA folks to review.

Being a member of LIRA has many benefits at Atlantis, but it does not entitle the LIRA members to free admission or price breaks during their regular visits. (Just as an aside, an Atlantis membership pays for itself in two visits, and if you decide you want to become a member, you can deduct your admission that day off the membership).

We do have Family Fun Day, which does entitle LIRA members/ family memberships to free admission on that day and price discounts in the gift shop, cafe, tour boat, etc.
If there are other events like NERAC, "Night on the Reef" etc, those too are free admission.
If LIRA members do visit on other occasions, they can certainly ask if I'm available or the other fish guys are available for a quick peek behind the scenes. Most times we are, but there are going to be times when we're short staffed/ or too busy, especially if its an unscheduled visit.
If anyone has any questions, be sure to ask and thanks.
Joe

Justjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2006, 09:30 PM   #2
Neurotech
Registered Member

Sounds reasonable. What are those other free events?

Current Tank Info: 2 54 corner tanks. 1 2X65 PC and 1 250 watt 20K MH.
Neurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2006, 11:46 PM   #3
dnsheavy
Registered Member

A group of us came to Atlantis on Sunday...what a blast!

dnsheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2006, 05:02 AM   #4
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

This thread is Stuck

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
DgenR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2006, 06:30 AM   #5
sal mod
Premium Member

Hay Joe,
How about giving us a discount to Disney World while your at it, better yet can you get us in fort free. I have had my membership to Atlantis for two years and it is worth the price. I even sprung for the family plus plan which allows unlimited visits for the grand parents as well giving them something to do with the kids or in my case child when they visit.

sal mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2006, 07:37 AM   #6
jnfallon
Registered Member

I've been a member for 5 years.

Stop in almost every time we're in Riverhead. My boy loves it there.

jnfallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2006, 11:34 AM   #7
jipps
Registered Member

That reef you guys have there is amazing. The fish are HUGE.

My suggestion - ditch the sharks and make an even bigger reef with EVERYTHING.

jipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2006, 09:00 PM   #8
mguili1947
Registered Member

Wink ATLANTIS

Hi Joe
I visited the Atlantis the other day.I took my wife and 2 grandchrildren.We all had a wonderful day and joined the Grand parents club we definetly will return.After going their and seeing your tanks I have to add some Corals to my tank.

Matt

mguili1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2007, 03:21 PM   #9
Neurotech
Registered Member

What are the rules for family fun day? Can u bring the whole family as an individual LIRA member?

Current Tank Info: 2 54 corner tanks. 1 2X65 PC and 1 250 watt 20K MH.
Neurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2007, 02:49 PM   #10
ghcpa9
Registered Member

AMW is pure rock & roll! *thumbs up*

ghcpa9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2007, 08:43 PM   #11
tadashi123
Premium Member

Hey all, I just stumbled upon this forum. I visited Atlantis last year and the reef display truly is amazing. It is a bit of a trek for me as I live in brooklyn. Anyway, it made me nostalgic for institutional aquaria as i used to be a volunteer docent at the NY aquarium in coney island in my high school days LOL.
Brooklyn aquarium society doesnt look active on RC... weird.
Are all LIRA members residents of LI? I'm considering membership but would it be awkward? as i dont live there per se.

ciao.

tadashi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2007, 09:12 PM   #12
Corpus Callosum
Premium Member

It would be a bit more driving for you, as our general meeting location is off exit 53 (if I remember correctly..) on the LIE, but it would not be awkward in the least bit. Would be glad to have you there.

Unread 10/29/2007, 09:47 PM   #13
Justjoe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tadashi123
Hey all, I just stumbled upon this forum. I visited Atlantis last year and the reef display truly is amazing. It is a bit of a trek for me as I live in brooklyn. Anyway, it made me nostalgic for institutional aquaria as i used to be a volunteer docent at the NY aquarium in coney island in my high school days LOL.
Brooklyn aquarium society doesnt look active on RC... weird.
Are all LIRA members residents of LI? I'm considering membership but would it be awkward? as i dont live there per se.

ciao.
I was at NYA from '87-'95, when were you there? All coralaholics are welcome, and Atlantis extends some fun stuff to all active LIRA members.

Current Tank Info: 20,000 gallon 30' x 14' x 6.5' deep
Unread 11/02/2007, 09:02 PM   #14
tadashi123
Premium Member

hi joe and corpus, thanks for the warm words of encouragement.

joe, i believe i volunteered as a docent in the summer of 95. it was the summer before i had started my senior year... and i believe right about when the belugas were moved to another facility because one of the cows was pregnant. the director of the program was barbara if i recall correctly... a petite brunette. One of the perks was our allocation of 1 free can of soda LOL. and then there was a scavenger contest at the end of the summer... those were some fun times. I usually manned the stingray touch tank with a megaphone LOL and then did the horseshoe crab touch tank inside when it was unbearably hot outside.

Anyway, NYA is a first rate institution. Kudos for your tenure there!

tadashi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2008, 02:41 PM   #15
myerst2
Registered Member

Hi Joe, I posted this another thread but thought you may read it here first. Your reef is amazing and I have watched it grow from the beginning. Great work!!!

On the other hand I was very upset to see two 15" bamboo sharks being kept in a tank that is no more than 20 gallons? They were obviously unhappy as they were swimming around frantically. Pic below. Thanks for any insight. Regards, Tim

Unread 04/24/2009, 09:28 PM   #16
username in use
Sciencing Daily

Hey Joe, my brother and I go up to the aquarium almost every week. Its really spectacular, and your local tank has inspired my brother to start his own "bubby" tank. Also, I think your anemone/clownfish tank is breathtaking. You should post some pics of it in the anemone/clownfish forum, I think they'd go nuts.

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house
username in use is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2009, 09:38 PM   #17
otrlynn
Registered Member

I just had the pleasure of visiting Atlantis Marine World today. I belong to the Delaware Valley Reef Club (PA) and had heard about the museum at a local fish store and then sought out some more information on the internet. The reef tank is beyond beautiful and if I lived closer, I swear I'd be there every week just to stand in front of that tank... My husband and I had purchased tickets for the "behind-the-scenes" tour, but then ran into Joseph Yaiullo who was leading a tour of fellow alumni, and we tagged onto that tour. After the official tour ended, Joe took the time to talk with us and showed us more about the workings of the coral reef tank. Joe, if you read this, thank you for the generous gift of your time! LI reefers, you are so luck to have this gem on your island! Lynn Flemming

Unread 08/23/2009, 12:27 PM   #18
Justjoe
Registered Member

Quote:
[i] Joe, if you read this, thank you for the generous gift of your time! LI reefers, you are so lucky to have this gem on your island! Lynn Flemming [/B]
Wow, I've never been called a gem before!

Oh wait, maybe she meant the reef tank, yeah guess thats it...

Current Tank Info: 20,000 gallon 30' x 14' x 6.5' deep
Unread 08/25/2009, 11:49 AM   #19
username in use
Sciencing Daily

Dont worry Joe, your a gem too.

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house
username in use is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2011, 06:37 PM   #20
bfitz06
Registered Member

Hi im planing on come out to atlantis this week Monday or tues , how can I set up a tour?

Unread 06/24/2014, 08:11 AM   #21
kenman345
Registered Member

Went this weekend, I will try and get through the pictures and post some up later. I highly recommend anyone that hasnt been there to go, I had a great time looking at aquatic life with my girlfriend this weekend.

kenman345 is offline   Reply With Quote