Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06/14/2008, 01:10 AM   #1
Slakker
Premium Member

Slakker's Oceanic 58g

I've waited to write this thread up here on RC until I had some time to really figure out where all of it was going. Now I think I've got a pretty good idea, so it's time for the build thread we all know and love!

Believe it or not, it all started like this:

Gee, it sure seems familiar...my last build thread (the 12g nano) started much the same way, a tank that came to me cheap and needed some cleanup. However, in this one it turned out that the 40br shown had some cracks in it. So I went out in search of another tank.

So I set to work on building the stand...unfortunately the circular saw we used doesn't make the squarest cut, nor does the table saw. Come to think of it, we just don't have any good tools for furniture building...but, the stand is solid and square.

Oceanic 58RR display/20H sump/fuge thread...follow the red house.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 58g, 20H sump, AquaC EV-150, 175w Hamilton 14k + 2x39w T5HO Actinics
Slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2008, 01:19 AM   #2
phenom5
Unregistered Member

Can't wait to see it up & running.

Did you decide on what you're going to do as far as live rock goes?

And what are the dimensions of the 58? I'm looking to upgrade myself. (shh...don't tell the wife )

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 Pro | ATI Sunpower | ATB 840 v2 | Apex | Wav
phenom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2008, 01:26 AM   #3
Slakker
Premium Member

So I started gathering up supplies. Picked up an AquaC EV-150 from a local reefer for the unbeatable price of $0. Yep. Free skimmer, and a quality one at that? Awesome.

So I painted up the frame for the stand, cleaned out the 20H that I was going to use for the sump, and filled the tank from the garden hose to test for leaks.

And mocked up the plumbing and got that tested as well.

And sump building:

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 58g, 20H sump, AquaC EV-150, 175w Hamilton 14k + 2x39w T5HO Actinics
Old 06/14/2008, 01:38 AM   #4
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

awesome setup man... and congrats on the free skimmer!!! thats a pretty nice skimmer for your system.

where will this tank be set up finally?

your stand looks plenty strong. quality tools are nice, but quality skills show through with any tools.

"that is enough skimmate to ruin lives." - GSMguy

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic
ReefEnabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2008, 01:38 AM   #5
Slakker
Premium Member

I've been cleaning up on used items during this build, picked up an ATO off of another RC user, the JBJ unit. It keeps the water level pretty stable, but I'm not 100% confident in its ability to really regulate itself.

Moved the tank from my parent's house where I'd been building it to my apartment, where it will reside full time.

I also picked up a T5HO Retrofit Kit from Hellolights and installed it in the hood I built.

Old 06/14/2008, 01:41 AM   #6
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

lol you answered my question already without even trying.

I like the bare look. are you planning on skinning the sump out or leaving it open?

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic
Old 06/14/2008, 01:51 AM   #7
Slakker
Premium Member

In the midst of all of this craziness I added about 15lbs of Aragamax Oolitic sand that I had leftover from my 12g build, moved over a few small pieces of rock from the nano just to try to seed things and get it started. Meanwhile I was waiting for an LFS to get in an order of rock, but that didn't happen within the timeframe that I wanted to get things going, but did get another 30lbs of aragamax.

None of those pictures are interesting, so skip ahead a bit. The fuge is...sort of functional...hah.

I ordered 45 pounds of Fiji Select Premium rock, and 30 pounds of Lalo Select Premium rock. I took several pictures of each rock, but to spare you of those relatively uninteresting photos, jump ahead to where things stand right now, all of the rock has been rinsed and picked at, cleaned off some assorted dead stuff.

Old 06/14/2008, 01:54 AM   #8
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

damn thats pretty sweet. I need to get some freakin sand into my tank already

but I keep being indesisive about what kind of base to put under the rocks...

Old 06/14/2008, 02:00 AM   #9
Slakker
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RyanBrucks
I like the bare look. are you planning on skinning the sump out or leaving it open?
Well, part of me wants to leave it open, but I picked up some 1/4" Luaun Mahogany plywood (yeah, the cheap stuff they used for the back panels of cabinets...lol) that I'm going to skin the stand with. I managed to find a piece with some nice grain, and it was only $10 for a 4x8 sheet, which might end up being enough to do the canopy too.

I think for the sanity of my roommate I'll have to close it in...the drain is going to make a bit of noise and with the tank being in the living room I don't think he'll be too excited about my drain splashing noises interfering with his home theatre system

Old 06/14/2008, 02:03 AM   #10
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

haha good point.

btw, I posted updates in your liverock thread...

Old 06/14/2008, 02:07 AM   #11
Slakker
Premium Member

For what it's worth, I just put the rocks straight onto the sand...no eggcrate, no pvc, no fancy little tricks...maybe I should look into it a bit more.

Edit: Yeah, saw that. Those are some really nice rocks, man...I think it's gonna look killer in your tank.

Old 06/14/2008, 02:09 AM   #12
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

well for your aquascape and tank setup I dont think its as crucial. Does not look too deep of a sandbed, and not too high of a rock stack.

I am wanting to do some very tall, thin pillars, sitting on a DSB. I also plan on some goby shrimp pairs. So this is basically a recipie for disaster without giving the rocks a solid base, or placing the rocks before the sandbed (which is a waste of rock IMO). I think I am just going to use sections of 2" pvc cut to the height of the sandbed. Random notches cut into one end would give the rock something to bit onto.

Old 06/14/2008, 02:19 AM   #13
Slakker
Premium Member

Yeah, it's not a bad idea. Did I mention that this aquascape was not anywhere near a real aquascape? This is just what happened when I stacked the rocks in the tank after I cleaned them up

I've got no idea how I'm going to aquascape...it's been one of my weaknesses since I started the hobby...lol

Old 06/14/2008, 02:34 PM   #14
Slakker
Premium Member

Everything looks great this morning. I'm about to head out to pick up a new ammonia test (mine is over a year old and the cap on one of the reagents was broken off...soo...probably not gonna work anymore.) and a few additional DIY things. First up is a new cap for my Durso so that I can try out a smaller air intake, I think mine is much too big (7/16" if i remember correctly).

I'm also contemplating changing my rigid PVC drain pipe to SpaFlex so that I can build a bubble trap out of some larger diameter PVC. Because the drain pipe now runs down so close to the stand's support, I actually had to carve out part of the sump's top brace to allow for the PVC to pass by, so it's difficult to add a filter sock or make adjustments to that pipe, so the SpaFlex would make that a lot more manageable. I'll also pick up materials for the bubble trap.

The EV-150 is running like an absolute champ, but it's a bit messy right now. When I got it the collection cup lid had been broken:

And so now the foam entering the cup just pretty much goes where it pleases, including every so often out the top of the lid through the air vents. I'm going to see if I can find some clear PVC or acrylic tubing that will fit that, and then replace it.

While I'm out, I'm also planning on picking up some acrylic and appropriate solvents and testing out the idea of making myself a sump.

Last edited by Slakker; 06/14/2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06/15/2008, 07:57 PM   #15
Slakker
Premium Member

Well, I bought 3 feet of 1" Spa Flex to replace my rigid drain and so far I'm happy with the decision. It gurgled quite loudly for a while but I think it's starting to slime up and quiet down already. I also completed construction on my bubble trap (it looks pretty sweet...who knows how well it'll work though

I cut a hole big enough for the spa-flex in the top cap, four more air exit holes around that, and drilled an array of holes at the bottom of the pipe. I used 2" PVC for the whole thing...and let me tell you, you get some funny looks from cashiers when all you buy from a store is a short section of PVC and two end caps.

Old 06/15/2008, 08:28 PM   #16
Slakker
Premium Member

As some of you reading this may know, Wisconsin, and much of the midwest, has been getting absolutely BLASTED with rain in the past weeks. Currently the river going through my home town is about ten FEET over its banks. The flood plane is six feet. I was out yesterday snapping some photos, and have picked out a few of the pictures that will demonstrate just how bad it is in some places without being familiar with the town at all. Also note that the water has gone up about 6" from when I took these shots yesterday.

Old 06/15/2008, 09:00 PM   #17
Mykel Obvious
Registered Member

YIKES!!! Stay safe up there Tyler!!

Great looking setup BTW... tagging along to see where it goes

I've got an ugly wooden stand from my old 30 long that I may stick a 40 breeder or a 50 or 58 on and use the 30 for the sump after I get my 65 set up and running... this is NOT going to be a display tank... very ugly stand ... would be for frags or possibly FOWLR with non-reef safe fish and stuck in my computer room so folks won't see it

"I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer."
Brendan Behan

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef
Mykel Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2008, 11:31 AM   #18
Slakker
Premium Member

Fortunately my parent's house is far enough away from the river that they're not seeing any water up there yet, but there are some reserved wetlands nearby that have a potential to get ridiculous...

Not to mention the fact that several of the dams upriver are under tremendous stress right now, and any of them could conceivably break and cause some serious trouble.

For now things are holding...though the river isn't expected to crest until Friday.

Old 06/16/2008, 09:08 PM   #19
Slakker
Premium Member

Spent a few minutes shuffling rock around trying to come up with an aquascape that didn't make me want to cry. I like the cave, but the "reef wall" is not up to par yet. I may have to pick up some nylon or acrylic rods and start drilling holes to get things the way I want them on that side of the tank...

Old 06/18/2008, 03:39 PM   #20
GSMguy
Registered Member

looks good

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2008, 03:40 PM   #21
fuschia_red
Moved On

very nice.

fuschia_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/2008, 08:55 AM   #22
michika
red headed step child

That is a lot of rain! Wow!

I like where this is starting to go!

michika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/2008, 08:17 PM   #23
Slakker
Premium Member

Thanks for the kind words Your "from scratch" setup has been an inspiration for me while setting up my new system, though admittedly my lack of experience in this sort of thing, as well as college-related funding limitations, have prevented it from being anywhere near the same level

Still, I'm working with what I have and I'm happy with the direction the system is going. My pH probe arrived on Friday and I've just made it home to get it. I know, that sounds weird, but I have all of my stuff shipped to my parent's house rather than my apartment, as there's really no safe place to leave a package in my building. Plus I end up back here filling my RO jugs at least once a week anyways. Anyways, when I opened the box it seemed like the probe had leaked a bit...there was a substance shockingly similar to salt creep on the probe around the soft clear plastic end. It seems to still have a good amount of liquid in there, so I'm figuring it's probably fine. I guess if it doesn't work I'll be giving MarineDepot a call tomorrow to try to sort things out.

Which brings me to my next big, dramatic, eventful, and incredibly exciting update...I've just ordered a new set of filters for the RO/DI system (an AirWaterIce 75gpd Compact Reefkeeper). I checked the TDS and found them at 20

Probably not a huge deal, but it's much worse than 0, and it's been at least a year since any of the filters have been replaced, so I figured it was probably long overdue. Sediment, both carbon stages, and DI chamber total came up to about $50 shipped, which is well worth it in my opinion.

Old 06/22/2008, 08:20 PM   #24
michika
red headed step child

This is the first set-up I've done that I haven't been in full-time courses, plus a part-time course, and working a FT job. I am loving it!

That is really cheap for replacements for your RO/DI!

michika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/2008, 09:18 PM   #25
Slakker
Premium Member

Yeah, I'm not taking any courses during the summer this year, but I am commuting ~45 minutes both ways to a full time job...so I figure that makes up for it.

Edit: pH probe calibrated with 7.0 solution and in the tank, reading ~8 with the lights out

Last edited by Slakker; 06/22/2008 at 10:09 PM.