Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 09/07/2008, 09:27 PM   #76
timschmidt
Premium Member
 
timschmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago area, IL
Posts: 809
Bah. We should all just take a long weekend and go set this thing up already!


__________________
Tim

Current Tank Info: Nanocube 12DX / Nanocube 28G HQI
timschmidt is offline  
Old 09/07/2008, 09:42 PM   #77
raen
Registered Member
 
raen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally posted by timschmidt
Bah. We should all just take a long weekend and go set this thing up already!
I'm in! Tim you come to my house, pick me up, then we can ride together to Teej's house. Scott and Harold can ride together,pick up Leysa, and the real out of towners ( D, out, owned, kar, et all) we will meet you all there. You bring the beer, I'll bring the fun!


__________________
Rae N.

She wasn't wicked, she only liked the shoes!!!

Current Tank Info: 60 Gall Hex, 3 #3's, no fuge..........YET!!!
raen is offline  
Old 09/07/2008, 09:54 PM   #78
timschmidt
Premium Member
 
timschmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago area, IL
Posts: 809
I can grab a keg or two.


__________________
Tim

Current Tank Info: Nanocube 12DX / Nanocube 28G HQI
timschmidt is offline  
Old 09/07/2008, 10:01 PM   #79
D to the P
Registered Member
 
D to the P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Amishville, USA
Posts: 2,052
And we'll stop at every LFS along the way! Except where I work cause I'm there enough as it is.


__________________
Nature V.S. Nurture: Nature Always Wins.

Current Tank Info: 12 gallon Aquapod reef with LED's, multiple nano's at work.
D to the P is offline  
Old 09/07/2008, 10:24 PM   #80
kudora
thread reader
 
kudora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty8
A rough guess of how much room the tank would take up. I'd end up with abut 4" of room on each side of the tank.


i have my tank in a similar location with a 72" and a 60" foot print, it gives me 6" on both sides and i hate it, i cant do anything from the sides if i need to get to it i have to use a large bar stool.


kudora is offline  
Old 09/07/2008, 10:48 PM   #81
seanb
Premium Member
 
seanb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 236
Capn, thanks for the link to Bean Animal's overflow. I'm learning a lot from this thread.


__________________
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."'
- Isaac Asimov

Current Tank Info: New 225 gal reef tank
seanb is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 12:52 AM   #82
OwNeD162
Registered Member
 
OwNeD162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally posted by raen
I'm in! Tim you come to my house, pick me up, then we can ride together to Teej's house. Scott and Harold can ride together,pick up Leysa, and the real out of towners ( D, out, owned, kar, et all) we will meet you all there. You bring the beer, I'll bring the fun!
Haha, I think you'd have to take a seriously long weekend if you planned on coming and picking me up and you'd need some form of aqua car,
Other than that, I'm glad to come help


__________________
- Mitchell

^ Click on my username and 'Visit OwNeD162's Home Page!" to view my Australian nano reef build!

(CH) - Clubhouse Represent!

Current Tank Info: 2 x 1 x 1ft + EcoSystem Pro 40 HOB + 1 x 150W DE MH, 2 x 24W Actinic, Hailea HC- 150A 1/10 HP Chiller, Vortech MP20
OwNeD162 is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 06:06 AM   #83
Tswifty
Registered Member
 
Tswifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 14,028
Quote:
Originally posted by kudora
i have my tank in a similar location with a 72" and a 60" foot print, it gives me 6" on both sides and i hate it, i cant do anything from the sides if i need to get to it i have to use a large bar stool.
If I stick the tank in this location I am aware that it will make it hard to access the rear of the tank. I will either place the valves for the plumbing down low so that they can be accessed from underneath the stand, or place the overflow on the side of the tank like a Peninsula build.


Tswifty is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 06:09 AM   #84
Tswifty
Registered Member
 
Tswifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 14,028
Quote:
Originally posted by timschmidt
Bah. We should all just take a long weekend and go set this thing up already!
Quote:
Originally posted by raen
I'm in! Tim you come to my house, pick me up, then we can ride together to Teej's house. Scott and Harold can ride together,pick up Leysa, and the real out of towners ( D, out, owned, kar, et all) we will meet you all there. You bring the beer, I'll bring the fun!
Quote:
Originally posted by timschmidt
I can grab a keg or two.
Quote:
Originally posted by D to the P
And we'll stop at every LFS along the way! Except where I work cause I'm there enough as it is.
Quote:
Originally posted by OwNeD162
Haha, I think you'd have to take a seriously long weekend if you planned on coming and picking me up and you'd need some form of aqua car,
Other than that, I'm glad to come help
You guys are too much.

I'm thinking about ordering the glass hole saws, and overflow pieces this week. I'd like to drill the holes first, that way if I screw up and crack the tank, I don't have all kinds of money and time sunk in it.


Tswifty is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 06:30 AM   #85
OwNeD162
Registered Member
 
OwNeD162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty8
You guys are too much.

I'm thinking about ordering the glass hole saws, and overflow pieces this week. I'd like to drill the holes first, that way if I screw up and crack the tank, I don't have all kinds of money and time sunk in it.
Sounds like a good idea. I would hate to see you buy all the equipment only to have the tank crack as it was drilled


__________________
- Mitchell

^ Click on my username and 'Visit OwNeD162's Home Page!" to view my Australian nano reef build!

(CH) - Clubhouse Represent!

Current Tank Info: 2 x 1 x 1ft + EcoSystem Pro 40 HOB + 1 x 150W DE MH, 2 x 24W Actinic, Hailea HC- 150A 1/10 HP Chiller, Vortech MP20
OwNeD162 is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 07:31 AM   #86
capn_hylinur
Registered Member
 
capn_hylinur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 27,647
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by seanb
Capn, thanks for the link to Bean Animal's overflow. I'm learning a lot from this thread.
welcome to the dark side

You will find both of TJ's threads amazing for what you can learn

also check out my log book blog--you can access it from the little red house above my posts


__________________
"evrr bean to sea Billy--evrr smelled a fish?" "Aye capn..experience is the best teacher"

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
capn_hylinur is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 07:34 AM   #87
capn_hylinur
Registered Member
 
capn_hylinur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 27,647
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by raen
I'm in! Tim you come to my house, pick me up, then we can ride together to Teej's house. Scott and Harold can ride together,pick up Leysa, and the real out of towners ( D, out, owned, kar, et all) we will meet you all there. You bring the beer, I'll bring the fun!
I'm in--and maybe do your tank in the same weekend

Kind of like "tank hopping"


__________________
"evrr bean to sea Billy--evrr smelled a fish?" "Aye capn..experience is the best teacher"

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
capn_hylinur is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 09:26 AM   #88
Phillybean
Registered Member
 
Phillybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kelowna B.C.
Posts: 611
Congrats on the find! Gonna be a sweet tank for sure!

For the closed loop, keep in mind that most tanks have a tempered bottom. If you try to drill this, it will shatter. Find out if it is tempered before drilling, if you can't find out (might be hard on a used tank) don't take the chance. You should be able to have a similar effect from having the bottom two near the bottom of the tank. You could extend Loc Line to do this.

Also, the Dart will require a 2" bulkhead that needs a 3" hole. I believe the Snapper does as well. I'd follow this guideline for sure. That said, a single Dart on a 220 with 3' of head will give you 13x turn over. Consider adding power heads, upgrading the Dart to a Hammerhead or have two closed loops.

Oh yeah, subscribed


__________________
It's not how much is costs that matters, it's how much you told your wife it costs!
Phillybean is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 09:39 AM   #89
D to the P
Registered Member
 
D to the P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Amishville, USA
Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty8
You guys are too much.

I'm thinking about ordering the glass hole saws, and overflow pieces this week. I'd like to drill the holes first, that way if I screw up and crack the tank, I don't have all kinds of money and time sunk in it.
Just make sure you have traditional Japanese music playing in the background when you cut. You'll need zen like patience to master the art... or at least it seemed so in that video


__________________
Nature V.S. Nurture: Nature Always Wins.

Current Tank Info: 12 gallon Aquapod reef with LED's, multiple nano's at work.
D to the P is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 10:54 AM   #90
kar93
Registered Member
 
kar93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 5,529
Quote:
Originally posted by raen
I'm in! Tim you come to my house, pick me up, then we can ride together to Teej's house. Scott and Harold can ride together,pick up Leysa, and the real out of towners ( D, out, owned, kar, et all) we will meet you all there. You bring the beer, I'll bring the fun!
Fllight booked. I'll bring the good ol' British lager too.


kar93 is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 10:57 AM   #91
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gloucester, England,UK
Posts: 7,810
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally posted by kar93
Fllight booked. I'll bring the good ol' British lager too.
dont do that kar, take some worthingtons cream flow over, the american and canadian guys would have never tasted anything like it before


__________________
Don't be afraid to ask questions, we in the new to the hobby are here to help you
[For My Tank Spec,Photo Album,Articles and website, click on my name]

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 11:35 AM   #92
Tswifty
Registered Member
 
Tswifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 14,028



__________________
"Enough light? Heck I could go barebottom and grow SPS in the stand!" - DiscoReefRover
Tswifty is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 12:01 PM   #93
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gloucester, England,UK
Posts: 7,810
Blog Entries: 6
http://www.thebackpacker.net/worldbe...worldbeers.htm

one or two negative reviews however im sure you get my drift


__________________
Don't be afraid to ask questions, we in the new to the hobby are here to help you
[For My Tank Spec,Photo Album,Articles and website, click on my name]

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 12:02 PM   #94
kar93
Registered Member
 
kar93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 5,529
Hmmmm, If Carlsberg did reef tanks, they'd probably be the best in the world.


kar93 is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 12:03 PM   #95
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gloucester, England,UK
Posts: 7,810
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally posted by kar93
Hmmmm, If Carlsberg did reef tanks, they'd probably be the best in the world.




__________________
Don't be afraid to ask questions, we in the new to the hobby are here to help you
[For My Tank Spec,Photo Album,Articles and website, click on my name]

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 12:22 PM   #96
chrismunn
Registered Member
 
chrismunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 4,200
if your uncomfortable free hand drilling, you can get a 2x4 and drill the same diameter hole in the 2x4, then clamp it to the glass. you can use that 2x4 with the hole as a guide to keep your drill bit square to the glass while drilling. someone already mentioned it before about tipping the bit and having it bind up and crack the glass. that is always a possiblity to be aware of. it normally happens when you actually make it all the way through and your punching out the other side. that initial jerking motion when you make it all the way through the glass is normally the killer. as stated earlier by someone, simply using the weight of the drill without adding additional pressure is the safest way. you can also use plumbers putty to create a circular water dam, then fill that dam with water while drilling. thats to keep the drill bit cool while drilling. if your using the 2x4 drilling jig you'll have to just run a hose over the drill site. a friend holding a spray bottle will work fine as well.
working with granite, i drill holes in this fashion daily. its not exatly the same, but very similar. if you have scrap glass i would absolutely recommend practice drilling a bunch of holes to get a good feel for it. the most crutial part to pay attention to is controlling your drill as your bits coming out the other side of the glass.

that being said, im really looking forward to watching this thing take shape! your planning seems to be moving right along with hardly any interuptions!

one thing i was noticing with your CL outputs is that the design leaves an area along the entire back length in the bottom corner where detritus might accumulate. the outputs coming from the bottom of the tank point forwards and away from the back, and the output situated on the back wall seems to also point forward again missing that back bottom corner of the tank. thats not to say it wont get any water movement, but the flow back there would, in my best guess, be gentle enough to carry detritus into the area and then deposit that waste right inbetween the 2 outputs. although with rockwork right abstructing the outputs from the back wall im sure the flow will go straight up and down, as well as inbetween all the rocks, in which case detritus accumulation in that area wouldnt be a concern.


__________________
Marine Aquarists Association of South Texas

Austin Reef Club

PBITAWA...

Current Tank Info: 14g bio cube
chrismunn is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 12:38 PM   #97
capn_hylinur
Registered Member
 
capn_hylinur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 27,647
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael
dont do that kar, take some worthingtons cream flow over, the american and canadian guys would have never tasted anything like it before
I enjoy Rickards Red but it has to be 36-38 degrees

When Cdn's drink beer they like to know if they are drinking or p**sing


__________________
"evrr bean to sea Billy--evrr smelled a fish?" "Aye capn..experience is the best teacher"

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
capn_hylinur is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 12:41 PM   #98
capn_hylinur
Registered Member
 
capn_hylinur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 27,647
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by chrismunn
if your uncomfortable free hand drilling, you can get a 2x4 and drill the same diameter hole in the 2x4, then clamp it to the glass. you can use that 2x4 with the hole as a guide to keep your drill bit square to the glass while drilling. someone already mentioned it before about tipping the bit and having it bind up and crack the glass. that is always a possiblity to be aware of. it normally happens when you actually make it all the way through and your punching out the other side. that initial jerking motion when you make it all the way through the glass is normally the killer. as stated earlier by someone, simply using the weight of the drill without adding additional pressure is the safest way. you can also use plumbers putty to create a circular water dam, then fill that dam with water while drilling. thats to keep the drill bit cool while drilling. if your using the 2x4 drilling jig you'll have to just run a hose over the drill site. a friend holding a spray bottle will work fine as well.
working with granite, i drill holes in this fashion daily. its not exatly the same, but very similar. if you have scrap glass i would absolutely recommend practice drilling a bunch of holes to get a good feel for it. the most crutial part to pay attention to is controlling your drill as your bits coming out the other side of the glass.

that being said, im really looking forward to watching this thing take shape! your planning seems to be moving right along with hardly any interuptions!

one thing i was noticing with your CL outputs is that the design leaves an area along the entire back length in the bottom corner where detritus might accumulate. the outputs coming from the bottom of the tank point forwards and away from the back, and the output situated on the back wall seems to also point forward again missing that back bottom corner of the tank. thats not to say it wont get any water movement, but the flow back there would, in my best guess, be gentle enough to carry detritus into the area and then deposit that waste right inbetween the 2 outputs. although with rockwork right abstructing the outputs from the back wall im sure the flow will go straight up and down, as well as inbetween all the rocks, in which case detritus accumulation in that area wouldnt be a concern.
that would be Harold----

despite how good he is I would never put the responisibilty of drilling that many holes on him. I am going to pay to have it drilled with the supplier so the responsibility is on them. I'll save the money somewhere else in the setup


__________________
"evrr bean to sea Billy--evrr smelled a fish?" "Aye capn..experience is the best teacher"

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
capn_hylinur is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 12:42 PM   #99
capn_hylinur
Registered Member
 
capn_hylinur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 27,647
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty8
have you done an estimated cost factor on this build yet?


__________________
"evrr bean to sea Billy--evrr smelled a fish?" "Aye capn..experience is the best teacher"

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
capn_hylinur is offline  
Old 09/08/2008, 12:42 PM   #100
kar93
Registered Member
 
kar93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 5,529
Hey, TJ. Have you seen the "Big E" build thread over in the Large Tanks forum? That tank has about 3,000 holes in it . I'll try dig it up, I think it was one of this years ThOTM's.


kar93 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:48 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014