Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/08/2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Jer@fishwonders
Registered Member

Smile Coraline growth acceleration

I have two tanks at home, one is a 20 gallon nano-reef and the other is a 125 gallon predator tank. Both are in very good shape but I'd like to see more coraline growth on my live rock. There are some small patches on some of the rocks, but how can I get it to spread to all of them? I just started using a 2 part calcium buffer, which says to dose daily, although that seems like too much so I've been dosing weekly instead. Is calcium all you need or are there other ways to spread coraline faster?

human beings had always assumed they were the most intelligent species on the planet because of all they had achieved: the wheel, New York, wars and so on, while dolphins assumed that they were far more intelligent, for exactly the same reasons.

Current Tank Info: 20 gal. reef and 125 gal. shark
Jer@fishwonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2009, 04:30 PM   #2
ctenophors rule
Registered Member

i use a product that is absolutely amazing.

i have plates!!!

it is called coralline stimulate, and is made by florida aqua farms inc.

i have been using it for about 6 moths and wow. you will not believe till you see it.

i had coraline only on my rock, and only on 4 of them (29 gallon) 6 months later it has spread to all of my rocks, is foring plates, and i have had to scrape it off of the back front and sides glass 2 times. i will have to do it again in a little bit to.

you can see tri weekly growth, it is that great.

i strongly advise you aquire some, and never use purple up.....never

Current Tank Info: my fishbowls are round 8)
ctenophors rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2009, 08:20 PM   #3
chrisstie
Premium Member

If you go by the chemistry raise your Magnesium up. It allows in a certain ratio better absorbtion of Ca and Alk from the water. Normal seawater is around 1100 but in reef tanks I like to have it around 1500 (I forget the units, doh). If you add that with your two part you'll notice an explosive growth of it.

I doubt other products made specifically to grow coralline are much more than elements like this to help boost the growth.

Current Tank Info: I find it odd that there are children starving in this country and yet we euthanize millions of stray dogs and cats every year and then incinerate the bodies. Not only that, but we make it illegal to butcher the meat. -MarkS
chrisstie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2009, 09:08 PM   #4
nycustomsumps
Registered Member.

where did you get the coralline stimulate ?

nycustomsumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2009, 10:49 PM   #5
Benuski
Registered Member

ctenophors why not use purple up what has your experience been.

Benuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2009, 06:26 AM   #6
madadi
ReefOG

ctenophors rule, you sound like a TV commercial lol

LETS TRADE YUMAS

Current Tank Info: Glass box.
madadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2009, 02:04 PM   #7
1DeR9_3Hy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madadi
ctenophors rule, you sound like a TV commercial lol
yes he does.....kinda funny huh?

CA and Mag levels are your key to coraline, assuming of course you have light and salty water! lol

1DeR9_3Hy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2009, 04:27 PM   #8
spoofer
Registered Member

i agree calc, alk, and mag are the ways to improved growth of coraline.

Sorry, Purple up is a waste- i've tried it, in fact twice, but then i didn the research on it and it wasn't doing anything, but burning a whole in pocket. The proof is in the pudding...CALC, Alk, and Mag.

Current Tank Info: 120g Tech Tank, Vortech MP40, Apex, ATI 8x54, Vertex IN-180, Mag 9.5, Phos & Carb Reactors, Kalk Drip via reefdosingpumps.com sentry model, 40 gallon Breeder DYI Sump
spoofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2009, 12:44 AM   #9
Benuski
Registered Member

MMMMM I have used Puple UP and had great results

Benuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2009, 02:46 AM   #10
Ninong
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Benuski
MMMMM I have used Puple UP and had great results
Purple-Up is manufactured by Carib-Sea, the sand people. It's powdered aragonite sand in suspension.

You don't need any special additive to get coralline algae to grow. The biggest problem is getting it off the glass, the back wall of the tank, the corner overflow, the cleaner magnet, etc. Getting it to grow is not a problem. Cleaning it off is.

Unread 01/10/2009, 02:58 AM   #11
Ninong
Team RC Member

Hi Jer@fishwonders,

To Reef Central

The key to having coralline algae all over the place is to simply maintain natural water parameters in your tank.

In particular, your calcium, magnesium, alkalinity and pH should all be within normal range.

NSW concentration for calcium is ~412 ppm but most reefkeepers prefer a range of approximately 425-475 ppm.

NSW alk is ~2.5 meq/l (7 dKH) but most reefkeepers prefer something between 8 to 12 dKH.

NSW Mg is ~1285 ppm but anything between 1250 to 1350 will do. Some people prefer going a little bit higher.

NSW pH is 8.2 but anything between 7.9 - 8.5 is acceptable. I think it's best to shoot for 8.2 - 8.4 as a goal.

You should never dose anything in your tank without testing for it first and then monitoring it on a regular basis thereafter.

There is no way that you can maintain appropriate levels of calcium, alkalinity and magnesium without testing.

If you are using a two-component product to maintain calcium and alkalinity, then it should be dosed daily. The amount of the dose will be based on the volume of water in your system and the results of your testing. You should never dose anything blind.

Good luck!